Air filter change

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I'm getting ready to change my air filter. Is one brand better than the others?
Thank you

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I've always used the OE Honda filters. I have no experience with any others

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Like Mikesim I prefer to stick with the known quality and fit of "o.e.m" parts from a dealer. The Honda air filter for the NT700 is Honda SKU 17210-MEW-920. I replaced my air filter with a HifloFiltro HFA1713. IMO HifloFiltro appears to be a reputable aftermarket company. Their air filter meets or exceeds o.e.m specs, and the HifloFiltro filter on the website named after the famous South American River has the HifloFiltro for about half the $$$ of what a dealer/online wanted for an o.e.m filter. FYI, not all "Honda" parts purchased from a Honda Dealer are actually made by Honda and instead are supplied by vendors that somewhere along the distribution line put the part in a Honda bag/box. If you go for an aftermarket filter I'd absolutely without a doubt double check that the aftermarket filter is warranted to meet/exceed o.e.m specs and not just warranted to "fit and/or replace." As always, my opinion and $6 gets ya a double whooper meal at Burger King.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Hiflo Filtro are quality filters. I think that they may be an OE vendor to Honda. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Hiflo Filtro product.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Many parts on a Honda motorcycle or auto are not made by Honda, but by trusted providers. It's almost the same way with any complex product. Some of those providers may sell what appear to be the same parts to aftermarket retailers but without having to meet the Honda standards.

Air filter elements are replaced so infrequently that I see no reason to buy something different. I've nearly double the miles recommended on the Honda filter but saw no degradation in performance or fuel economy. That was my version of saving a few bucks. :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Many parts on a Honda motorcycle or auto are not made by Honda, but by trusted providers. It's almost the same way with any complex product. Some of those providers may sell what appear to be the same parts to aftermarket retailers but without having to meet the Honda standards.

Air filter elements are replaced so infrequently that I see no reason to buy something different. I've nearly double the miles recommended on the Honda filter but saw no degradation in performance or fuel economy. That was my version of saving a few bucks. :)
I usually replace my air filter at 30K with no problems.

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
This is another subject of debate and can raise blood pressures as previously mentioned.

A fact is that every motorcycle manufacturer slowly starts to discontinue certain parts at the beginning of the 10th anniversary of any particular model. This is something that I learned when restoring motorcycles in the last 15 years. The NT700V here in the US is close to reaching that milestone.

I have personally chosen the K&N filter knowing this from experience. A reusable filter where the cleaning/oiling kit can be purchased at any local auto parts retailer is plus in my opinion. Eventually, these items will become made of unobtainium. It is best to have something that can be reused over and over again. I am just saying.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I don't know if there is an actual benchmark used for Honda to start to discontinue parts.

I owned a '97 PC800 for 10+ years and only the colored, plastic bits got more difficult to obtain while all the other stuff remained readily available but that model was sold in the US for a much longer time, 1989-98, than the NT700V's short run of only 2 years.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
With the short life span and few units sold here in the US, American Honda will likely be not too inclined to stock many parts for the NT. Fortunately the NT was much more popular across the pond so that is likely where we will have to go for parts before long.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700
While I am changing plugs and caps i want to change the air filter. Can anyone provide some do's and don'ts for removing the fuel tank???

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The only thing that comes to mind is relieving the fuel pressure before disconnecting the fuel line from the tank/fuel pump.
I believe the manual has you electrically disconnect the fuel pump then run engine till it dies. This gets rid of the pressure and keeps you from getting a shot of fuel in the face. Glasses still a good idea.

Brad

Bike
2010 silver NT700
While I am changing plugs and caps i want to change the air filter. Can anyone provide some do's and don'ts for removing the fuel tank???
You do not need to remove the tank, just hinge it back. The procedure is in the owners manual which you can get free online if you don't have one.

Top Bottom