Air mattress comparo

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
"If you dont think a good air bed will make your camping trip better, sleep on the ground." Abraham Lincoln

Sleeping mattress comparo
Intex Walmart Twin size felt covered . 8 inches , 6-7 lbs. $8-$25
Nemo Cosmo 30 XL insulated. 3.5 inches, 2 lb 11 oz. 25-35 F. $150
Exped Megamat lite 12 LXW, 5 inches, 3 lb. 6 oz -5F, $250
Cheep 2 lb last century airmattress. In pic.
I have been using the Intex for many years now and have been very happy with it. It does have a few issues. No insulation, its heavy, and on a cold morning, its hard to roll up. Still, for the price, I got no complaints. My current one has lasted 50 nights plus with no leaks.
But I decided to try the Nemo Cosmo 30 XL insulated in my quest to dump size and weight and have been very impressed with it. (The Nemo Nomad XL, 6 in. is very comparable to the Exped in size and weight and pack size and can be found on sale for $150.) While only 3.5 inches thick, The Cosmo feels just fine and it doesn’t give you the unstable feeling that the Intex and Exped gives you. Roll instability. If you sleep on your side, and roll a bit one way or another, you will continue to roll a bit with the Intex and Exped. Not a problem with the Nemo design. If you let some air out of the Intex and Exped, it helps this a bunch. Check out the baffle directions on all three bags. This roll effect is given different names by different folks but try both matteresses side by side like I just did and it will hit you like a ton of bricks. The on board pump/pillow probably works but I always use li-ion air pumps. Very light and powerful, they last for a long time on one charge. Nemo gives you a repair kit, BTW.
The Exped Megamat 12 LXW 5 in. thick insulated 3 lb mattress is the most expensive. I did not try out the bag filler but I am sure it works. Watch the Youtube. The insulation feels substantial. Laying on this is about the same experience as the Intex. This mattress carrys a 2-5 year warrenty.. The Nemo is a lifetime warrenty.
I will sleep in this pad in two weeks at Oshkosh but I bet it does fine. Not a lot to choose from between the Nemo and the Exped. Nemo is more comfortable as far as stability and packs smaller. Exped is deeper and might have a small edge on insulation, although the specs rate them about equal.
All three pads have fast empty options along with slow release for fine tuning.
If I didn’t camp 30 + days a year and I was on a budget, I wouldn’t hesitate to get an Intex. It does pack a bit larger but not much and it is 3 lbs heavier. Its also cheeper than dirt and if you have a bad accident with it, you put it in the dumpster.
The Nemo Nomad, insulated at $ 179-$230 may be the best of all worlds. 6 inches thick, about the size of the Exped.
(Warning: If you go to the Nemo website, it looks like the Cosmo design has been changed and the price has increased. Outdoor manufactures do this so you might find the old and new designs out there,as well as their prices, Also make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Insulation means fibers in the mattress. And you pay for the ability to sleep in 20 degree colder weather. )
Notes: There is a whale of a lot of difference between car camping and bike camping. When I car camp, I put an old blanket over the air bed and maybe another over the sleeping bag if its cold. Its easy to carry those. Hard to carry blankets on a bike. Also, in a car, its easy to carry a cheep air mattress for a spare. Its easy to poke a hole in an airbed if you are not careful. Explore quick and easy repair kits. Like a glue stick and a bic. The 5 second repair works! I have done it.
I don’t put much stock in insulation values. The main thing is these mattresses have it or they don’t.

Attachments

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Hard to carry blankets on a bike.
That depends on what type of blanket you want to carry.... I carry Mylar thermal blankets and toss them when they are ripped or became to big of a PITA to folding up or I get tired of dealing with them. At only $14.14USD for a pack of twenty (20) of them, See Here, that will solve a lot of blanket issues. They're also a great makeshift ground cover, and rain shelters, and a passable poncho, as well as a blanket. ;) I carry two of them in all my vehicles first aid kits...:)

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
That depends on what type of blanket you want to carry.... I carry Mylar thermal blankets and toss them when they are ripped or became to big of a PITA to folding up or I get tired of dealing with them. At only $14.14USD for a pack of twenty (20) of them, See Here, that will solve a lot of blanket issues. They're also a great makeshift ground cover, and rain shelters, and a passable poncho, as well as a blanket. ;) I carry two of them in all my vehicles first aid kits...:)
Those have excellent uses, especially putting over the sleeping bag when its gonna get way colder than you think....dont know how well they will stop punctures but I am willing to get a pack and try them!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Those have excellent uses, especially putting over the sleeping bag when its gonna get way colder than you think....dont know how well they will stop punctures but I am willing to get a pack and try them!
I always carry a military surplus punch liner when camping. They are very light and versatile. They are sort of like a light nylon quilt. I first used one in Viet Nam, but I think the new ones are a little more "high tech" than the ones from 50 years ago. It adds very little weight and packs into any small space.

When it is warm I sleep under the poncho liner. When it is in the 60s and below I use my sleeping bag, and when it is frosty I use both. Last I looked they were under $15. It sure extends my comfortable camping temperature range.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I still have, and use, my original issue camo pattern poncho liner...:) It worked well all over North America, S.E. Asia, Europe, Central America, and everywhere else the Army saw fit to send me...✈ After almost 50 years it's getting a bit thread bare but it will probably out last me...:rolleyes:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I still have, and use, my original issue camo pattern poncho liner...:) It worked well all over North America, S.E. Asia, Europe, Central America, and everywhere else the Army saw fit to send me...✈ After almost 50 years it's getting a bit thread bare but it will probably out last me...:rolleyes:

AGHHHH!!! You stole US Army property???

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I was in Explorer Scouts, we went to Philmont in NM. It rained for most of the two weeks we were there. My buddies had various down-filled sleeping bags and by Day 2 or 3 they were all wet and not very effective. I had a surplus Army wool mummy bag and a nylon outer bag. They never got wet and kept me dry and mostly warm the whole two weeks. The other guys resented me. One day as we were hiking, the guy behind me cut the rope that lashed my bag to my pack frame and tossed the bag in the creek we were walking beside. I just let it float alongside for probably 100 yards and when it was convenient pulled it out of the creek and retied it to my pack frame. It was still dry that night. I couldn't fit into that thing now, even after I've lost 50 pounds, but it sure worked back then in 1958.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
AGHHHH!!! You stole US Army property???
No :rolleyes:, it stayed on my personal TA-50 Form until they quit using those forms. By then it was several years old and declared obsolete along with most of my other gear from the Viet Nam era. Supply didn't want all that "stuff" so you kept what you wanted and tossed the rest. One of the first things I threw away was my "rubber ducky" air mattress...I hated that POS...:oops: Thanks to the Army I rode for many years wearing Viet Nam era jungle boots with the metal plates in the soles...:)

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well Wayne you tolerated the Army much longer than I did. I left all of my filed gear in Viet Nam and returned to USA in jungle fatigues and no baggage at all.

The "rubber ducky" air mattress was great. It kept my rear end out of the water that was running through my hootches for the 6-month monsoon before the dry season. It never went flat camping everywhere in the central highlands jungles. However it did weigh about almost as much as a case of C-rations. We never saw the dried food meals where I was.

Once back in the US I never had any KP or guard duty at all. No "junk-on-the-bunk" field inspections, no PT, no qualifications, or any demanding expectations to fulfill. Sort of made up for the previous year where guard duty was 24-7-365. My only challenge in the US was avoiding the re-enlistment officer.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
OK, I have some coming for evaluation. They may be just the ticket for those 28 degree nights in the Bighorn Mts at 8,500 ft. For car camping, I still want my fuzzy wuzzy blankie!
Linus
I always carry a military surplus punch liner when camping. They are very light and versatile. They are sort of like a light nylon quilt. I first used one in Viet Nam, but I think the new ones are a little more "high tech" than the ones from 50 years ago. It adds very little weight and packs into any small space.

When it is warm I sleep under the poncho liner. When it is in the 60s and below I use my sleeping bag, and when it is frosty I use both. Last I looked they were under $15. It sure extends my comfortable camping temperature range.
OMG...I just rememebered I had one of the old Mil surp ones in the 1960s....they were anything but light! ;) One night in the Big Horns, I had my bike cover spread over my sleeping bag and it really helped but I will be interested in these mylar jobs. Probably work fine but just not alot of comfy feeling to them. BTW, if you go to ebay there are quite a few surplus military ponchos available....
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=WWII+US+poncho&_sacat=0

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
... Thanks to the Army I rode for many years wearing Viet Nam era jungle boots with the metal plates in the soles...:)
In the AF, during my time, Equipment (helmet, knee board, tools) were accountable but Expense items (boots, gloves, etc) were not. Sometime in the 80's or 90's, Flight Suits changed from Equipment to Expense so you did not have to turn them in (too fat to fit now).
Still use my Desert Flying boots to mow the yard. :)

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I have tried using a Mylar Emergency Blanket over my sleeping bag on a freezing night but found that my sleeping bag was quite damp with perspiration when I woke up. I tried it a second time with the same result and have not tried again in the past five years despite always carrying two in my camping pack.

Macka

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Despite Macka's comments, which I feel are important, I couldnt resist trying out this. Looking at the dimensions of this emergency sleeping bag, my modified mummy bag will slip right in. I want to see how bad the water buildup is. If nothing else, I can but in just the lower half of my mummy and see how that works.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-Emergency-Sleeping-Bag-Thermal-Waterproof-Outdoor-Survival-Camping-Bag-US/323561607410?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item4b55c650f2:m:mLxTJLHWdZiyw5sdizyKUjg&enc=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&checksum=323561607410cdf951111d3a4863b2f3fba8e2e9ff04

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
It will depend on your metabolism Chris. I tend to sweat a lot, even in cooler weather although it may not be apparent then.
I think that they are a great thing to carry for an emergency, but only for that.

Macka

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
It will depend on your metabolism Chris. I tend to sweat a lot, even in cooler weather although it may not be apparent then.
I think that they are a great thing to carry for an emergency, but only for that.

Macka
I agree. But I still want to try it in the Rockies as a sleeping bag suppliment. The sleeping bag liners look good too but have more bulk. The cold dry air at altitude may make a difference. I can remember many nights spent in the rockies in my mispent youth being very cold....Bighorn MTNs. 7500 ft, (Even at Stead, NV, 5200 ft, in September, I have seen froast on my bike seat many mornings14417

Top Bottom