Air Wing Installation

Mel

Bike
2010 red NT
I recently installed a set of Baker Built Air Wings on my NT. They do a good job of directing cooling air onto the rider during hot weather. They don't make them specifically for the NT, so I shopped Ebay for a used set that I thought I could adapt. The ones I found were designed to mount on the crash bars of a cruiser style bike with clamps, and they include the optional "uppers". Photos 1 and 2 show the completed installation.
I made my own mounting brackets and didn't use the clamps. To mount the brackets, I machined a special stud that screws into the fairing mounting hole near the engine guard, under the cover. (photos 3 & 4) The inner end of the stud duplicates the shoulder on the original screw. The brackets were made from 3/4" X 3/16" steel. (photo 5) I also made a small L-shaped bracket, mounted to the middle cowl lid to support the upper end of the mounting bracket. (photo 6) I cut a small notch in the engine guard cover for the bracket to pass through. (photo 7)
I thought the wings hung out too far from the bike, so I shortened the arms and changed their bend. Photo 8 shows the original and modified arms. The vertical angle is adjustable by loosening the nut an the mounting bracket.

Attachments

Last edited:

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I had a set of those on my 1997 Valkyrie. I wouldn't own a Valkyrie without them. I made different mounts for them and now they are on my CB1100.

Top Bottom