AirHawk R seat cushion review

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
After suffering through 2084 total miles on the Spearfish trip with the factory saddle, I knew after coming home something had to be done about the uncomfortable seat. To say that I had 'hot spots' on the rides is putting it mildly. I found myself moving almost constantly forward and backward, attempting to ease the discomfort. The least expensive replacement saddle was the Top Sellerie for about $399, going up to an all out Russell Day Long for a grand. Too much cash for either at this time.

However, I spoke with an ST rider at Spearfish from Pennsylvania who used the Air Hawk cruiser seat. He explained it well, showing just how little air was required to improve riding comfort. When checking it out on the Air Hawk website, i discovered they had a newer model 'R' available, made to eliminate those certain problems that only men have when riding. For only an extra $10.00 I sprang for the new 'R' model for a total price of $159 last week from motorcyclecushions.com.

After receiving it, I found it very easy to install with the supplied straps. It fits the rider's seat area perfectly. I inflated it to less than half full to start. But, on the initial trial ride, I had to stop 3 times to lower the pressure. I have about 100 miles on it now, and the relief is dramatic. There is so little air in it, that it does not seem to have any effect on seat height, I was able to flat foot it at a stop before and after the change.

Until such time as I have more money to spend for the Russell seat, I think the Air Hawk R is the cheap solution to my problem. The only down side is that now I may need to get another one for my wife when riding pillion. Oh well, what's another $139?

Bike
2011 NT700v
I have the R model. On a long ride, it's great. Normally I can go about 70 miles or so before my butt tells me it's time for a break. With the airhawk on I can go over a hundred miles before my butt says it's time. I bought the pillion one for my wife. It make a big difference for her as well. My max ride in a day with the air hawk is around 350 before I'm ready to hang it up.

I guess I don't have an iron butt like Phil up there cruising the 4 corners. he's doing 500 a day on his russell long.

fltsfshr

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I bought an Air Hawk for my return trip from Last year's Spearfish trip. Worked well and loved the price compared. To an after market seat. My wife does fine on the stock seat. It's my skinny but that needs the help.

OP
OP
Yoda

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
I bought an Air Hawk for my return trip from Last year's Spearfish trip. Worked well and loved the price compared. To an after market seat. My wife does fine on the stock seat. It's my skinny but that needs the help.
+1 on the skinny butt. The only big disadvantage to keeping my weight in check, is the lack of cheeks for cushioning! LOL

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Unless you need to get the rear section refurbished the Russell can be had for less than $600. I never ride with a passenger so only had the front section done. And there is Rich's in Seattle and some others who might do the seat correctly. I didn't look but there are several bike shops here in town and at least one might do seats.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
going up to an all out Russell Day Long for a grand. Too much cash for either at this time.
i paid $420 for my russell. if you ever decide to pull the trigger on an investment in one, be aware of the group buys that come along. they often start forming in the fall and will have winter production dates. the one last year i got in on started on the vulcan bagger forums, and gave a 20% discount. russell doesn't do them every year but it's something to be mindful of as it's a great way to reduce the cost a decent amount.

glad the airhawk is working out. i looked at those as well at one time and reviews here have generally been favorable. if it does what you need, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a russell, that's for sure.

garhod

Hi,
I was curious if you went with the airhawk R (small) or the large? The small measures 11" x 11" and the large measures 14 x 13.5" The large looks like it might hang over the seat in some areas as the seat on the NT is more sport touring.

Thanks,
Gary

OP
OP
Yoda

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
I bought the large, if I remember correctly. The Airhawk has been providing comfort for 2 1/2 years on 3 different bikes with no problems - ever. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom