All my gauges do not work

Mconnelly

Hello, I am new to the forum. I searched for related topics but was unable to find any info.
Put the bike away for a few days and all the gauges were working fine.
Went to go for a ride yesterday...No gauges. The speedo, and tack do not cycle when the key is turned on and cut off switch is in the run position. the motor starts and runs normal but the tach does not register.
The fuel gauge does not register nor does the temp gauge or the digital readout.
I tested the plug leads as outlined in the service manual. The five or so wires they show test for were all ok.

Any more insight would be appreciated .
2010 NT 700 ABS

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Do your blinkers indicate on the combination meter? High beam indicator working?
Those check do a pretty thorough check of everything....power coming in, ground connected.....
Some of the signals come from the ECM (speed pulses) but that was checked good also...correct? If you were getting the 0-5vdc speed pulses at the connecter, it says to replace the meter.
There are the 2 connectors that provide power and signals to the combo meter. I didn't check to see which connector does what function (got cross-eyed trying), but you may want to try those 2 connector shown in the wiring diagram. May want to try the ECM connectors also.

I wonder if there is a fuse or reset in the combo meter? I never had any need to look.
Good luck.

OP
OP

Mconnelly

Do your blinkers indicate on the combination meter? High beam indicator working?
Those check do a pretty thorough check of everything....power coming in, ground connected.....
Some of the signals come from the ECM (speed pulses) but that was checked good also...correct? If you were getting the 0-5vdc speed pulses at the connecter, it says to replace the meter.
There are the 2 connectors that provide power and signals to the combo meter. I didn't check to see which connector does what function (got cross-eyed trying), but you may want to try those 2 connector shown in the wiring diagram. May want to try the ECM connectors also.

I wonder if there is a fuse or reset in the combo meter? I never had any need to look.
Good luck.
I will go after the two other connectors in the morning. I have the gauge cluster apart and can see no visible burned connections etc.
It acts like a fuse but no such luck!
Thanks for the input

danaasl62

Mconnelly, whatever happened with your gauges problem? What did it turn out to be?? I am now having the same exact problem with my 2010 NT700V. Only have 8,300 miles on my bike. It is not the fuses. Would love to hear from you on what caused your problem and how to fix it.
Thanks!

I also had the same problem...The 10a fuse blew twice on me and it was always when the ignition sw was activated..my riding buddy said he saw the headlite flash, then nothing!.....I think there is an initial high load.I do have a gps and heated gear plug in the same circuit....seems a slow blow fuse may solve the symptom..anyway..after checking everything out i have done the absolute no no and installed a 15 a fuse and so far no further issues....???

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The use of a 15 amp fuse may be the same as the old "smoke-o-meter" we used to use to diagnose problems with the old Lucas systems from England.

Ahhh yes...I remember (just)...about 1962...I put a new 6 volt battery in my Velocette Venom..all was good until I fired it up!..I had the pos and neg backwards...smoke yes..those were the days...not Lucas tho it was Miller elecs...anyway I note that when the NT switch is activated..we have a couple of stepper motors..tach and speedo...ABS....Turn signals...oil and gen lites gps and god knows what else..and I am thinking ....that just maybe, a whole load of electrons equalling about 10 amps may just be enough to cause the situation...no more problem since the 15a went in!...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I do have a gps and heated gear plug in the same circuit...]

The GPS has a tiny current draw while quite the opposite for a heated vest or jacket. I've always isolated the heated vest circuit with its own connection to the battery via a relay.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Looks like you are also warming the wires a bit also. At least they wont be cold. ;-)

fingers crossed they don't get to warm. :-0

Bike
2010 Maroon NT 700
McConnely- I amhaving the same problem. Headlights and turn signals work fine. Fuses are ok. Bike is garaged and has rarely been wet. No varmints. HELP!!!!!!

Top Bottom