All of the gear all of the time

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
At the 100 year celebration of my old dept, I still dont think they believe in all of the gear all of the time.
a wsp centenial.jpg

Well.... gloves, boots and helmets, so at least they're wearing that.

But, no armored jacket! Gonna get some serious road rash on the arms, chest and/or back if they have an unplanned get-off!

PS) If they put their Kevlar flak jackets on under those shirts, at least that would be better.

Last edited:
It always surprises me that so many police moto-officers ride with so little protection.

Well.... gloves, boots and helmets, so at least they're wearing that.

But, no armored jacket! Gonna get some serious road rash on the arms, chest and/or back if they have an unplanned get-off!

PS) If they put their Kevlar flak jackets on under those shirts, at least that would be better.
I would assume they have on vests but I wouldnt swear to it....but the lack of proper pants and espeically jackets is worrysome.

Many of the motor corps require training plus the law enforcement riders have something else we lack - an aura around them that keeps cars from getting too close. Yes, they do occassionally have accidents but I believe it's mostly a rare instance and not common.

They have been dressing like that for as long as I can remember. I assume it has become part of their culture and if it were a problem they probably would have made some changes by now. I am sure comfort has a lot to do with it.

I asked an ex motorcycle Gendarme who is a friend of mine about it and his response was: "We rely on our training".

Yes, they do sometimes have accidents but the amount of training they have to do and recertification required has to be seen to be believed.

I don't know what the system is in the States but, in Europe, most of the Police Motorcyclists have to undergo regular, intensive training including "Blue Light Training & (re)Certification".

Warren - as far as the normal dress code for motor officers, I recall reading something about the motor officers in the CA Highway Patrol. Short sleeve shirts and open face (3/4) helmets were chosen to be less threatening to people they'd pulled over. They didn't want open officers to appear to be Darth Vader! In fact their helmets have the bottom halves painted black to appear as a 1/2 helmet.

Warren - as far as the normal dress code for motor officers, I recall reading something about the motor officers in the CA Highway Patrol. Short sleeve shirts and open face (3/4) helmets were chosen to be less threatening to people they'd pulled over. They didn't want open officers to appear to be Darth Vader! In fact their helmets have the bottom halves painted black to appear as a 1/2 helmet.
Most California Agencies have been using the Shoei NeoTec modular helmet for about a decade or so. I think the CHP has held onto the 3/4 helmet or recently has migrated to the NeoTec as well. I do not see enough of them to give you a definitive answer at this time.

Most officers I see on the opposing side of the freeways are wearing the NeoTec. I also could not tell you what agency they are with either. LA County Sheriff Motor Officers have distinct uniforms. I know for a fact they are using the NeoTec helmets.

A modular helmet will not only be much safer than a 3/4 helmet but officers can flip open the front to present a full, smiling face to the general public. :cool:

Bruce - It's been a while since I lived in CA and quite honestly, I don't miss it. I've now spent nearly half my life in semi-rural OH.

Last edited:
I guess I semi-understand their philosophy. I would imagine a lot of their time is spent waiting and not riding. Without air movement AGATT could be very uncomfortable. In very hot weather (like here in Arkansas) a leather jacket without airflow could very well mean heatstroke in the summer.

I'm not condoning it or saying it is a good idea. So after sitting and waiting, a call comes in and they get into a high speed chase. A high speed chase in shirt sleeves just doesn't sound good.
I guess they have their accident data to make their decisions.

Brad

I asked an ex motorcycle Gendarme who is a friend of mine about it and his response was: "We rely on our training".

Yes, they do sometimes have accidents but the amount of training they have to do and recertification required has to be seen to be believed.

I don't know what the system is in the States but, in Europe, most of the Police Motorcyclists have to undergo regular, intensive training including "Blue Light Training & (re)Certification".
Our acadamy in WA state did a "blooper" film of incidents with training and showed it on a TV in the WSP motor unit display at the Motorcycle show in Spokane. They used old Kawasaki police bikes with big rollbars. I know two motor troops who were hit but thankfully, they werent hurt bad.
Here is an old article from 2011 when we went from BMWs to STs. We are now back to BMWs. Jeff is a cool guy. He was a cadet at Spokane when I was working. He is now the public information officer.....he did such a good job a few years ago , they gave him a special bike...which of course he was hit on.....you cant win.

Jeff is actually holding a Laser. They had them when I left the patrol in 2004. I had no problem getting speeds on vehicles a half mile away.....
lasar.jpg

Back
Top Bottom