Almost Got Car Jacked Last Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Sopped at a gas station to fill up and there was only one other car filling up. He finished before me and I was the only one there. I noticed a guy in a hoodie sort of hanging around. When my pump clicked off, the guy walks up to me and says, "I'll take your keys" (He had his right hand in his pocket). I pulled my .357Mag snubbie out of my pocket and said. "I'll take your life". He did an about face (which neutralized the incident) and very quickly walked away. I got the impression he tried this before and knew that when he turned his back that he was safe. At least he was not able to abscond with my Shelby. The police will try to identify him with the surveliance tapes. All I could tell them was that he was about 5'10", 180 + lbs , and "non white". He could have been anything from Mid Eastern to Jamaican. Hoodies and masks make a great disguise. In the future I'll stay out of "big cities" like Bangor as much as possible. I thank the Second Amendment every day. I am also more determined to carry my snubbie all the time.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I have stopped harping on people about this problem. But its real and getting worse and the felons know nothing will happen to them. Heck, even felons with guns get turned loose. The major issue is the mom with two kids strapped in the back seat. In one instance in my area, a felon physically ran from the cops with cuffs on and tryed to carjack a woman with two kids....one of the cops wrestled with the guy now in the front seat while a cop and a good sameritan got the kids out of the back seat. Things turned out well....I will spare you what I would have done if I was the cop. I tried to tell people, Look...you got kids, you have to think about this. If you dont like guns or knives, at least get a good OC10 or tasar.......no one listens.

Mn st paul
1667192545566.png

Bike
2010 NT700V
My little NAA is ALWAYS in my pocket. I'm sitting at my computer, but it's still with me.
To old to fight, too slow to run.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Chris, Maine is one of the most safe places to live in CONUS--I don't know how it will be now that Portland has become a Sanctuary City and I think that Bangor is going that way. There seem to be quite a few non-Mainers visible lately. I am glad I have my Concealed Carry Permit. I carry all the time and train at our range about an hour a week. The Ruger LCR .38 SP+P is my EDC. I have a Ruger LCR .22Cal with the same weight and same trigger pull for my weekly drills. Even though .22 Cal ammo has gone up in price, it is still a lot cheaper than .38SP+P Ammo.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Bear glad it worked out for you.
It is very easy to be lax but since you don't know when something like that will happen you must always be on the lookout and ready.

Arknt

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I won't talk about guns on this forum because the issues quickly become contentious and divisive.

But I am deeply concerned about the disregard for laws, property, and even human live in this country lately. It seems to start with a first-grader shooting spitwads in school and schools are unable to use effective disciplinary measures. Children learn at nearly age that they don't have to behave. The problems in schools begin at homes and become the school's problems (ofter stemming from problem parents). And from there moves into our society.

I have witnessed drug deals go down at a highway rest stop just a few hundred yards from my house in a very rural county 200 miles north of Minneapolis. Crime is everywhere. as much as we try to avoid it, crime can always find us. Our little police department has atrophied from a chief and 2 officers down to 1 officer. If I called 911 in the middle of the night a deputy would probably show up in about 45 minutes or so. It is hard to feel safe in our Country today.

Sad

Bike
2010 NT700V
Chris, Maine is one of the most safe places to live in CONUS--I don't know how it will be now that Portland has become a Sanctuary City and I think that Bangor is going that way. There seem to be quite a few non-Mainers visible lately. I am glad I have my Concealed Carry Permit. I carry all the time and train at our range about an hour a week. The Ruger LCR .38 SP+P is my EDC. I have a Ruger LCR .22Cal with the same weight and same trigger pull for my weekly drills. Even though .22 Cal ammo has gone up in price, it is still a lot cheaper than .38SP+P Ammo.
LCR is in the door pocket.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I think a lot of us need to be in "Condition Yellow" at all times when we are out in public. Walking around staring at an I Phone is asking for trouble not only from the standpoint of literally asking to be mugged but also for safety's sake. Last year a woman staring into an I Phone walked into a fountain and made quite a splash. I noticed the guy with the hoodie and kept an eye on him. I also always pump gas left handed so that I can have my right hand in my pocket with my LCR. When one is 80 years old one needs to take precautions.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I think a lot of us need to be in "Condition Yellow" at all times when we are out in public.
AKA Situational Awareness...

Folks seem to have lost that, ignorance is bliss and such... and then walk right into obviously bad places/situations...

I've avoided places with dubious audience lingering... like to pick another, well lit gas station instead...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just got my CPP renewed. Its now a fancy credit card type. I do all my own casting (if necessary) and hand loading and stocked up long ago on components. So cost isnt an issue.
With all the gangs and criminals about, I am careful in the day if I have to go into Spokane and dont go there at night. Car theft, cat. theft, gas theft, etc...is big
Out here in the country, danger is low, but I have a house gun and I like the .40 cal Beretta 96 Centurian. Its slide is shorter than the Military M9/92. Balances better. But its heavy. If I am hiking in the mountains, I have an exquisit 29 oz Ruger SR 1911
1667364908801.png
I have done alot of testing on four Bersa .380 s. They work. I have two of them. At 20 oz, they are light and can fit a coat pocket or small in the waist band or out of the waste band slide holtser

When I was alot younger and dumber, and poorer, I used to sleep at rest areas/fare grounds/ etc. in my car. I had to pull my gun twice to chase the theives away.

In the state of wa , my capt would tell me, there is writen law and case law. Case law trumps written law. Our written law says I can use deadly force to stop a felony. Case law says I had better be in reasonable fear of my or someone else's life. Then you have the law suits by money hungry relatives and lawyers you have to defend yourself against.
I have a friend in CA who had someone take his motorhome cat converter right in his front yard. He was asleep. If someone did that to me and my old beater sitting outside, I would call 911 and forget it. If anyone comes inside the house, well, thats another story

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
AKA Situational Awareness...

Folks seem to have lost that, ignorance is bliss and such... and then walk right into obviously bad places/situations...

I've avoided places with dubious audience lingering... like to pick another, well lit gas station instead...
Pretty much what senseable people teach in shooting class. Condition red, yellow and green. At any gas station around here, or super market parking lot, Yellow is the condition you want to be in....any suspicious people around in hoodies loitering< ? Anyone walking up to you when you reach your car? Anyone else about?
In Austria, can you have OC10 on your person?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I did want to say that I should carry more. Its like a frog in boiling water....Spokane wasnt like this when we moved here
shoot 1.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It's not just Spokane... sadly, crime is running rampant throughout the country. What are the prosecutors thinking when they adopt no cash bail?

Mike

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Good for you Bear ! We must always be aware of our surroundings. I've been carrying since 1976, often not religiously, however in the last 3 years it is with me all the time. The times are sad. I am part of our security team at "Church" of all things. It is sad we have to train like LE to protect our brothers and sisters in a place of worship but it has come to that. As a previous LEO and now coming up on my 28th year at 911, I can tell you Police are not moments away. The average response time within the city can be 5 to 10 minutes. In remote parts of the County it can be 20 minutes or more. Just something to think about.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
It's not just Spokane... sadly, crime is running rampant throughout the country. What are the prosecutors thinking when they adopt no cash bail?

Mike
First we decided not to deal with mental health. Now we’re not dealing with crime either.

Something isn’t working here. We have one of the highest incarceration rates AND a very high crime rate as well. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom