Altberg Boots - Hand Made Boots

Rogersp

Hi to all across the pond.

I thought I post my 2p's worth regarding motorcycle boots. After poncing around with various boots made by yashmac companies in China with some designer/European name attached to the same I've made an investment in some hand made boots by this company:

http://www.altberg.co.uk/

This company still make handmade boots for the military, UK and some European Police motorcyclists. On the recommendation of a number of bikers plus an ex UK police motorcyclist I took a trip to see them and they measure your feet and let you walk around in a standard fit to get a feel for them. They are guaranteed to be waterproof provided you use the recommended protection. The downside is there is a 12 week lead time but all good things........so they say!

So this is what I've ordered:

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/roadrunner/

I should have them in about 4 weeks, just in time to do a winter test, so keep your eyes peeled for a follow up post.

What I found pleasing is that we still have some craftsmen in the UK who can compete with the fashion statements from the far east. If you need some new boots take a look around the USA there must be some real boot makers still out there who will provide you with a great service and product. Yes at a price but you'll only buy them once or twice in your lifetime and you'll be supporting your own craftsmen who will hopefully train some younger guys who want to learn a trade.

Best wishes to you all

P

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
these boots really sound good look good, the pictures almost make me wonder if they are making the boots that are being sold under
the SIDI name. My SIDI On-Roads have over 125,000 on them and have never given me wet feet, and have always served me well . I must admit that afte 20-25 hours in them andit does feel good to get them off of my feet.

If I were on the other side of the pond I would definatly be going to factory for fitment for a pair of these.

Eldon

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Bates Leathers had a reputation for great hand-made boots and I ordered a pair back in 2000. They took forever to come (something like 6 week past the date they had been promised to me), and then when I wore them, they didn't fit very well. Just riding, they'd pull my socks down to around my arch. I spent two days looking for something I could put in them that would take up some of the excess room and let me walk with them on.

Plus, I was sharing a room with a guy who had a pair of Bates boots and his were much better looking than mine. Mine were just raw leather inside and his had a beautiful glove-soft leather lining.

I called Bates and complained and they told me they'd quit putting the lining in their boots and that if mine didn't fit, it must because I'd done a bad job of measuing my feet. So, I remeasured and sent the old boots back. They didn't make me a new pair, but tried to adjust the ones I had. They fit worse not better. And in spite of their "Satisfaction Guaranteed" promise, I didn't get any satisfaction or money back.

elizilla

I think that if I were buying custom boots, I'd want to go in person and have them do the measurements. Also, when you go to them you get to see current samples of their work.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I don't necessarily need a custom boot but one in a size Wide with adequate diameter at the calf. The only boot off-the-shelf that fits me OK are Alpine Stars. I once spent 1/2 day at Iron Pony in Columbus trying on all the brands so I know! Anyhow, I'll inquire to see if Altberg has a US outlet.

In a similar vein, at the recommendation of a riding buddy I bought custom-made gloves from a place in Washington state and love the fit because I have short fingers and all that additional length often made it difficult to use my GPS. I sent them hand tracings and they made it to that size, although it did take one return for further adjustments.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I got a quick replay from Altberg boots and the answer is "NO, we don't have a stockist in the US." They recommended doing it via mail order but the cost is a mighty 42 pounds which comes to $67 US dollars at today's conversion. Guess I'll look elsewhere.

OP
OP

Rogersp

Thank you for all the responses, the main point I was trying to make is that we should all support our craftsmen to retain the skill set of crafts in the various countries, expensive maybe but the products usually stand the test of time. Take a look in your Grandfather's workshop, I'll bet most of his tools are from American producers Snap On, Sears Robuck, Estwing come to mind. My experience working for Kodak for over 20 years in the UK was they always bought the best tools on the market for their field engineers and they were a pleasure to use so much so if you lost one and could not replace it with the same one, it took an age to gain that feel for the replacement. Lifetime warranties also meant just that, if you returned a Snap On tool, not that you often did, it was replaced without any quibbling.

In the same vein all the tools I use and can recommend are either British - not that we produce many any more, German, American and some Japanese products. The stuff that is made to a price and not a specification is generally inferior and is not up to the job and the same goes for many other products we motorcyclists buy. No longer do I think that goods produced in the far east are as good value as they once were.

Concerning Altberg their reputation is set in stone as the UK Police Force, and others are known to supply their motorcyclists with the best clothing and boots available so much some people will buy the redundant gear secondhand as it still does what it says on the tin.

OK I get off my soap box now and let you know about my boots at a later date, look out for my post in 5 -10 years time.

Regards to all

Bike
For what it is worth here is my .02cents worth of BOOT information. There are two real fine custom boot manufactures here in the Northwest; White Boot in Spokane and WESCO BOOTS just west of Portland, I have a pair of over counter from Wesco and a pair of custom built White Packers. Both have very good workmanship and are both over 15 years old and both are still in very good condition.

Eldon

Last edited:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I actually ordered a pair of Altberg Boots in October 2011 and was quoted 4 weeks delivery. After 4 weeks and no boots I enquired, fobbed off a couple of times and finally was told sorry it would now be 3 months MINIMUM - possibly sometime in February 2012. Note the possibly.

If I had been told that in the first place I would have probably ordered them but having to chase them 3 times to find out what was happening was not acceptable to me. I cancelled the order.

May I suggest you take their delivery date with a very large dose of salt.

OP
OP

Rogersp

Hi
If you look at my first post you will note that I stated 12 week lead rime.

Regards

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Yes and I suggest you take that with a dose of salt...

Based on my experience you may see them in time for the Spring.

elizilla

I don't necessarily need a custom boot but one in a size Wide with adequate diameter at the calf. The only boot off-the-shelf that fits me OK are Alpine Stars. I once spent 1/2 day at Iron Pony in Columbus trying on all the brands so I know!
Tosh, a trick you might try, is putting a heel lift under the insole. Not a huge heel lift. Maybe 1/4" or 3/8". The heel lift will change the way your foot sits in the boot, which may make the boot more comfortable, or might make a half size up more comfortable. And the lift pushes your calf up a little higher in the shaft of the boot, which makes it less tight.

I learned this from a downhill ski boot fitter I once worked with. He told me that women often have wider calves, relative to their foot size, so the women's ski boots are actually differently fitted. Heel lifts are the miracle fit trick, for putting women into men's boots. I'd suggest trying some women's boots, except if you need a wide foot as well they're not so good - women have narrow feet with their big calves.

Being an amazon woman I generally have to wear a men's boot because the women's boots don't come in my size. You've met me, you know I don't need the height. But a heel lift buys me the calf space I need in a men's boot. When I go to Iron Pony I take the heel lifts with me and install them when test fitting the boots. It's amazing how much they help.

OP
OP

Rogersp

OK, boots arrived on time and are a perfect fit. They'll need a bit of breaking in so will wear them around the house for a few weeks until the weather improves. I'll let you all have an update in 5 years or so !! Take it steady out there

Bike
Roger,

I am glad to hear they arived and you are pleased with them and teh fit to your foot. if they fit you well and prove tobeas waerproof as they indicate they are , I am sure you have mad a very good inestment. I for one would like t see a report updating them at the end of the riding season and after you have had a chance to use ghem in the nasty weaher.

Hav a great day,
Eldon

Top Bottom