An aging poet writes about motorcycle obsession

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
This reflection from a 73 year old poet motorcycle enthusiast appeared today in the NY times. Why young males aren 't buying sport bikes...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/opinion/sunday/is-the-iphone-replacing-the-motorcycle.html?ref=opinion

It got me interested in his life story and motorcycling which I found in this Harpers Magazine article.

http://harpers.org/archive/2009/11/0082723

Others might enjoy as well.
Thanks for the great post Herb, I read the first thread and will try to find time for the lengthy second one soon. Most of my friends are now in their 70's - I'm 71 - and none of us ride sport bikes any more. Seems our backs protest too much to remain folded over for long.

My own Ducati is residing in Canada these days, a victim of my inability to ride it in comfort for more than 100 miles. Since sending it away a few weeks ago I recycled the sales proceeds to fund a flight across country to retrieve my new-to-me 2010 NT700v, a truly wonderful investment.

The Ducati was a special bike for me, it was as much an art form as it was a bike and one I shall always miss. Years ago I read an article in which the writer stated "The man who can afford a Ferrari and chooses not to do so will forever regret his decision." I can't help thinking the same statement applies to a Ducati. And yes, I did buy the Ferrari while I had the chance, without regrets. The Ducati filled the gap it left.

Best,

LL75 :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If you want a bike that says little about YOU and all about the function, then the NT is your scooter!

Sam:)
The fact someone buy's a bike that's all about function does say something about them ;)

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I buy my motorcycles to please me and my wife. Performance is important to me and comfort to my wife.

My 2001 bright yellow Ducati 900SS full fairing model was an actual work of art in it's symmetry. My other DUCK was a 1967 Diana 250cc single and it was also a very simple and unclutered bike.

I've had 3 flash bikes that could have said "look at me" but were purchased to fill my need for speed: 1989 Yamaha V-MAX, 1997 Yoshimura equiped Suzuki 1200S Bandit and my recent 2010 Buell 1125CR superbike!

If you want a bike that says little about YOU and all about the function, then the NT is your scooter!

Sam:)
:wine2::wine2::wine2::wine2: I'll drink to that! :grape1::wine2::wine2::wine2:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I liked what he said and could identify with it. There have been objects in my life which have been more than objects to me. My bicycles have had a blend of function and beauty that have been a result of engineering and craftsmanship that have pleased me whether I was riding or cleaning or just looking.

Same thing with my boats. I've had four, a Penguin (11' 6" Phil Rhodes cat-rigged dinghy), a 13' Lone Star (a Charles Faul and Thomas Wittholz designed masthead sloop with a beautiful and classic sheer line and two of the best-cut, finest-fitting sails I've ever seen on any boat at any price), a 16' Luger Leeward kit-boat my dad built and sold to me, and a 17' John Atkins designed cat-ketch-rigged sharpie which was a WW2 effort to come up with a boat that could be built cheaply from non-strategic materials. All four were good at what they did, but it was the Lone Star that never failed to give both visual and tactile delight. I'd go to the garage (one of the nice things about little boats is that you can keep them at home and enjoy them even when you can't sail 'em) just to take a look.

I've also had four motorcycles and none of them have been the most beautiful things (compared to a Ducati 916, for instance), but they've all had integrity of design that has blended with functional utility in ways that have given me deep satisfaction. Plus, all these objects (as well as the light planes I flew) have me a combination of challenge and accomplishment that blends with their utility and beauty to make them more than just tools.

There's something about all of those elements that touches me in the deep places of my soul. I think that's some of what the poet was saying.

OP
OP
Herb
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Phil, Thought you'd like the second longer piece "On Motorcycles". It takes a pastor to appreciate the depth of this article. On the surface he's taking motorcycles but at another level so much more.

Top Bottom