An alternative to 3-wheelers?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Training wheels... And a relatively cheap solution to boot...much cheaper then "Landing Gear" for the Wing. Google "Voyager trike kits", they even fit the NT supposedly...might make opening the saddlebags a little tricky probably...:D

If really want four wheels check out the Hannigan Roadster...:D

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
A friend of mine had one and one issue is that the rear wheel is the drive wheel and I saw him get high-centered as he rode across a gutter at an angle. A couple of weeks after that, he had a big-time wreck on the Alaskan Highway and totaled the bike, was in a coma for over a week, and still has issues because of the head trauma. He has no idea what happened and doesn't know if the four-wheeler kit had anything to do wtih the wreck.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have seen several Voyager kits, mostly on Wings and cruisers here, being miss-advertised as "trikes" and would not even consider doing one.... If you leave the bike stock, one of their big selling points, and don't do a rake modification be prepared for very heavy, ponderous, steering....especially at low speeds. When you consider a Voyager kit is over $4K and it still needs painted, and installed, you are not that far from doing a "real" trike conversion kit.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
My .02 cents for what it is worth; If I get to where I can't ride a solo bike it will be a side car for me, I got introduced to them in Europe in the late 1950's Trikesare ok , but not for me . If I was going to get a trike in todays current world it would be the Hd Tri-glide all made by HD.

tawilke46

If really want four wheels check out the Hannigan Roadster...
Looks really expensive! A four wheeled Gold Wing.
Friendly Honda has a 2010 Gold Wing Trike for a mere $36k that every thing but the kitchen sink on it. Can you imagine what one of these Hannigan's would cost?

Got to admit it is a good looking machine!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, the trikes aren't cheap. I wonder if Hannigen would do the front wheels and not the back. A Gold Wing Can-Am? If not then I'd either get a Can-Am or a small sports car.

I've looked at sidecars a lot. I'd like to have one, but.... They don't handle well at all, bike really needs mods to the front end to work well. That is, unless you just want to putt-putt around with one. For just tooling around they are fine. If I am going to change the bike that much then why not get the Can-Am and not have the issues associated with a sidecar. My problem is one of the reasons I like bikes is the performance. Take that away and there's no reason to ride one.

tawilke46

Having seen one of these I like the concept but oh my the price.
Oh my! That kind of does take your breath away a little. I could get a lot of car for that kind of money! Or a bunch of motorcycles. Or..............
Two HD Tri-Glides!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Yep, the trikes aren't cheap. I wonder if Hannigen would do the front wheels and not the back. A Gold Wing Can-Am? If not then I'd either get a Can-Am or a small sports car.

I've looked at sidecars a lot. I'd like to have one, but.... They don't handle well at all, bike really needs mods to the front end to work well. That is, unless you just want to putt-putt around with one. For just tooling around they are fine. If I am going to change the bike that much then why not get the Can-Am and not have the issues associated with a sidecar. My problem is one of the reasons I like bikes is the performance. Take that away and there's no reason to ride one.
Charley,
That is very true. You will win few "Traffic Light Grand Prix Events" with a Hack. They are a whole different thing--and they are well suited to touring. I had a sidecar on my R-50 and toured with it in the early 60s. It held a lot of camping gear. Alignement is the key. Car tires--which get longer wear also work on a hack. H-D made some awesome sidecars. That would be my first choice.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Wayne,
I know. Terrible shame because that was a real quality item. A new Heritage with a sidecar would be a match made in heaven.

Top Bottom