Anamosa bound!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Three days off means mini road trip! A buddy and I are headed to Anamosa, IA to visit the National Motorcycle Museum. While there of course we will stop by J&P Cycles and enrich the local economy a bit. Finally, a visit to the maximum security prison in Anamosa. Back in the early 1900's the State of Iowa built a prison that looks more like a castle than a prison. Gorgeous architecture. They no longer use it as a prison but have turned it into a museum. Should be nice weather and a good ride. Have a safe and fun weekend!

Mike

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I missed the prison when son and I visited National MM, give reason to make trip again.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well, because you announced your plans, now you are required to file a complete trip report Mike. Just make sure it is as complete as Phil's.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm looking forward to reading that report, Mike. Sounds like a good trip!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Ever see a diesel motorcycle? They have one...]

The military has fooled around with diesel powered motorcycle for at least 20 years and the latest iterations may have actually been multi-fuel capable because I know the Marines wanted all their battlefield vehicles to use one type of fuel. The bike appeared to be a Kawasaki KLR that a firm in So Cal modified to meet the needs of the military. I have a friend who was an MSF Chief Instructor and he did some training of Marines at Camp Pendleton on those bikes. When I asked him about the speed of the bike (because it was extra heavy) he said "it was painfully slow and in a firefight, a Marine would be better off on foot." :-(

Last edited:
Mike I hope you had a good time and I wish I had seen this sooner. Because I was in Cascade, IA 25 miles away from Anamosa, IA this past weekend at a motorcycle gathering on another forum.

Top Bottom