Anamosa bound!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Three days off means mini road trip! A buddy and I are headed to Anamosa, IA to visit the National Motorcycle Museum. While there of course we will stop by J&P Cycles and enrich the local economy a bit. Finally, a visit to the maximum security prison in Anamosa. Back in the early 1900's the State of Iowa built a prison that looks more like a castle than a prison. Gorgeous architecture. They no longer use it as a prison but have turned it into a museum. Should be nice weather and a good ride. Have a safe and fun weekend!

Mike

I missed the prison when son and I visited National MM, give reason to make trip again.

Well, because you announced your plans, now you are required to file a complete trip report Mike. Just make sure it is as complete as Phil's.

I'm looking forward to reading that report, Mike. Sounds like a good trip!

[...Ever see a diesel motorcycle? They have one...]

The military has fooled around with diesel powered motorcycle for at least 20 years and the latest iterations may have actually been multi-fuel capable because I know the Marines wanted all their battlefield vehicles to use one type of fuel. The bike appeared to be a Kawasaki KLR that a firm in So Cal modified to meet the needs of the military. I have a friend who was an MSF Chief Instructor and he did some training of Marines at Camp Pendleton on those bikes. When I asked him about the speed of the bike (because it was extra heavy) he said "it was painfully slow and in a firefight, a Marine would be better off on foot." :-(

Last edited:
Mike I hope you had a good time and I wish I had seen this sooner. Because I was in Cascade, IA 25 miles away from Anamosa, IA this past weekend at a motorcycle gathering on another forum.

Back
Top Bottom