Another ZUMO mount up on the dash project!

Bothell, WA in the wet part of the state.
Bike
Red 2014 FJR
Mounted my Zumo up on the dash

A while back I asked for some help in getting the plastics off so I could run some wire up to the dash. Elizilla came back with a link to how to do that. Yesterday I finally got around to working on the project.

My goal was to mount the Zumo 550 up on the dash. My last two bikes I managed to find a way to have the Zumo right up in front of me and wanted to do it on this bike. What got me motivated was another posting by amorley showing what he bought to accomplish such a thing.

I looked around my workshop for something fairly sturdy to use as the base for the ball. All I could find was an old license plate so turned it over and cut a piece that would fit the dash. I ended up with a nice shiny piece of fairly flexible aluminum that could easily be molded to the shape of the plastic.

After getting all the plastics off so I could run the wire I tackled the dash. Again I relied on the NT Owners website and watched a video referenced there about how to safely take off the windshield. He had a couple really good tips. Then I removed the 2 screws above the instrument panel and proceeded to unsnap the two pieces of plastic. It took a little doing but eventually I found the magic spots and gently with a large screwdriver was able to unsnap them.

From there it was pretty simple to figure out the placement and drill the holes. When I put it together I used over-sized washer on the bottom side to give it a little more strength. The ball mount acted as my third bolt and made the whole thing pretty sturdy. On my previous bikes I mounted the Zumo similarly but with just bolting the ball with the large round base directly onto the plastic. They held even after 20,000 miles of riding so I figure this ought to work just fine.

If I can figure out how to attach some photos I?ll do that?.thanks to elizilla and amorley.

Garry

Attachments

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
looks good, congrats and thank you for sharing!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom