Anti-theft equipment

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I have been digging through the forums and I have not seen anything about alarms and anti-theft equipment.

John

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
John, I've got LoJack. It was part of the package with my extended warranty. It might be useful in Denver and the larger front range communities but wouldn't do me any good in Fort Morgan. But it didn't cost me much of anything and is probably better than nothing.

My theory is that bikes like the NT aren't very attractive targets for thieves. I think most stolen bikes end up in chop shops and get parted out. Not many folks are looking for NT parts! If I had a Harley or a hot sports bike, they might get stolen, but I'd be surprised if anyone would rip off an NT.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
The NT700's sold in Australia are fitted with HISS (Honda Integrated Security System) which is a fairly good anti-theft system

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
John, I've got LoJack. It was part of the package with my extended warranty. It might be useful in Denver and the larger front range communities but wouldn't do me any good in Fort Morgan. But it didn't cost me much of anything and is probably better than nothing.

My theory is that bikes like the NT aren't very attractive targets for thieves. I think most stolen bikes end up in chop shops and get parted out. Not many folks are looking for NT parts! If I had a Harley or a hot sports bike, they might get stolen, but I'd be surprised if anyone would rip off an NT.
I agree with Phil on the lack of motivation for a thief to steal an NT but I read an artical that said Honda was the most stolen brand followed by Harley. That surprised me.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have been digging through the forums and I have not seen anything about alarms and anti-theft equipment.
There are a few threads buried around the forum... Most aftermarket alarms and anti-theft systems aren't worth the trouble as nothing on the market will stop a couple of big guys with a trailer. I have used a front disc brake lock on occasion, it worked very well when I forgot to take it off my BMW once...:doh1: If you get one buy the bright coiled "dummy" cord to go with it...I added it after my "product test". :rolleyes1: The only device I used with the NT to discourage inappropriate touching was a bright blue Beretta branded "Gun" cable lock to secure my helmet to the NT...:eek1:

A word on LoJack.... Before you buy LoJack take a look at their coverage map, it is a bit "spotty" to say the least. It is also defeated if the thief parks your bike in a metal enclosure like a Butler building garage or shipping container. I had LoJack in my 2001 Mustang Cobra and while it got me an insurance discount it was really pretty useless as I'm only 15 minutes from the edge of the coverage zone. Depending on your location, and the available coverage, it may be a better deal....

The NT700's sold in Australia are fitted with HISS (Honda Integrated Security System) which is a fairly good anti-theft system
Unfortunately HISS was stripped off by Honda for the North American market NT...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree with Phil on the NT being much less likely to be stolen. It's going to be GTA whether it's a fully-blinged Harley or an NT so the saavy thief would opt for the former since the ability to find markets for parts & accessories is about 100x greater.

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Well, I figured that because of how popular the NT's aren't, they have a pretty low risk of being stolen. But I thought I'd ask.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
unfortunately due to drug addictions some idiots will steal anything thats not nailed down.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I don't worry about the bike. I've left it in parking lots with all my stuff strapped to it. Tank bag, duffle, jacket, helmet, etc. VERY easy to steal if anyone wanted to (not locked at all). Have not found a way to protect it from theft. Maybe if I had a high end beemer or HD but who would want an NT? Even dealers have a hard time giving them away :)

The common method for stealing around here is a low trailer. If no wheel lock then it is rolled up. If wheel lock they use a winch to pull it up. The other method is two or three guys and an old mattress. Flip the bike over on the mattress, lift it up into a van and take off. I have not heard of druggies stealing bikes around here or even cars. Too easily traced. Stolen vehicles around here are usually across the Mexican border within hours.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Honda was the most stolen brand followed by Harley. That surprised me.
There are a lot of Hondas so there is a good market for parts. Chances are good that those thefts are concentrated in the Honda cruisers and sport bikes. I think sport bikes probably are a good market for the chop shop because so many squids damage their sport bikes and don't want to report the accidents to their insurance companies.

Bike
2011 Black NT700V
I got the top of the line (at the time) Scorpion alarm with my bike as part if the package. It has a tip-over sensor, so the mattress trick would set it off. It also would alert the fob if it is in range.

Unfortunately, I found that even when it was disabled while riding, it would still give out a single whoop while going around corners. It may have been a fault or maybe I had something set wrong, but as my bike lives in a locked garage at night I just unplugged it and will go without for now.

b.

Top Bottom