Any horns that will drive away dogs?

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I live in a rural farming area and the farmers all seem to have unrestricted dogs.
There are a few dogs, one in particular, that chases me when I ride by.
And he is big enough to cause some serious trouble.

My horn doesn't seem to deter him at all.
My S&W would, but that seems too drastic a solution.

I am hoping that one or more of you know of a horn that will deter the dogs.
Or maybe something similar?

Thanks,

Super Dave

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have a loud Stebel (130dB) on each of my two bikes but dogs are individuals, like deer, so there are no guarantees that a honk will drive them away. :-(

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I don't know if any horn would be loud enough, my 12 year old Bearded Collie is so deaf it takes very close by thunder to get his attention. :rolleyes1: If the dog is dumb enough to still approach you, even when you're stopped, instead of your S&W use pepper spray. That should convince just about any critter to stay away...and with any luck he'll share it with his owner...:wink:

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Dogs are no different then people, one might scare, one might make then jump in your way. When you can predict drivers, then you might try and predict animals.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Dogs are no different then people, one might scare, one might make then jump in your way.
Yep, I'm sitting here with our six rescues as the fireworks are beginning to start. Two are freaking out, two are dozing on the couch, and the other two are just curious about what is going on with the two freaking out. Interestingly enough the smaller the dog the less concerned they seem about the fireworks. I'd much rather have one of the smaller ones sitting trying to sit on my lap than our 70 pound Lab / Irish Setter mix! :rolleyes1:

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Many many years ago (around 35 years ago) I owned a Honda XL 250S and a dog used to run out and chase me every time I went along a particular street.

One day the dog totally misjudged and I actually ran over it. I knew it had misjudged when I felt a huge bump and heard a mighty Yelp! I turned to see the dog retreating to its home with its tail between its legs!

One thing is for sure, that dog never again chased me when I went past but he was always sitting on the porch watching me go by.

I do not think this will help you Super Dave but I thought you might enjoy the story.

Seagrass

OP
OP
SuperDave
Good story Seagrass.
This dog is pretty big and I would surely crash if I hit him.

I was just down/over in your neck of the woods.
I was visiting a life-long friend in Wahroonga, northwest of Downtown Sydney.
Nice place! Expensive compared to Idaho though.

Dave

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I live in a rural farming area and the farmers all seem to have unrestricted dogs.
There are a few dogs, one in particular, that chases me when I ride by.
And he is big enough to cause some serious trouble.

My horn doesn't seem to deter him at all.
My S&W would, but that seems too drastic a solution.

I am hoping that one or more of you know of a horn that will deter the dogs.
Or maybe something similar?

Thanks,

Super Dave
Can't guarantee that it will keep the dogs away, but Howard's Horns carries a four inch air horn that is both loud and obnoxious. You can listen to one on their web page..howardshorns.com It is called the little big horn.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Good story Seagrass.
This dog is pretty big and I would surely crash if I hit him.

I was just down/over in your neck of the woods.
I was visiting a life-long friend in Wahroonga, northwest of Downtown Sydney.
Nice place! Expensive compared to Idaho though.

Dave
Wahroonga certainly is expensive and I could never afford to live there. I live about 30 miles west of there on the rural outskirts of Sydney where house prices are more reasonable but still expensive with the cheapest at around $600,000 and average around $750,000 or a little more

Seagrass

Bike
2010 NT700V
I installed a Denali Sound Bomb on my NT. I made a bracket for the compressor and mounted it on the right beside the battery. The horn is mounted on the left side under the upper faring and connected with a hose. I feel it helps get a dog's attention and also works on cage drivers. BB

OP
OP
SuperDave
I'm using come closer and escape tactic :D When you see dog 1-Wait until it come closer when he close more give throttle then it will leave you. When i got free time i can make image for it.

I tried this last evening. I used just enough throttle to keep the dog running. He ran a surprising distance but never actually got in the road. He just ran alongside it. I will use your suggestion a few times. Maybe he'll get tired of trying? Maybe he will think that he chased me away and will continue?

Dave

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I don't know if any horn would be loud enough, my 12 year old Bearded Collie is so deaf it takes very close by thunder to get his attention. :rolleyes1: If the dog is dumb enough to still approach you, even when you're stopped, instead of your S&W use pepper spray. That should convince just about any critter to stay away...and with any luck he'll share it with his owner...:wink:
The pepper spray method will work, however, be ABSOLUTELY certain that you are not down wind when you fire. This is the voice of experience talking to you.

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The pepper spray method will work, however, be ABSOLUTELY certain that you are not down wind when you fire. This is the voice of experience talking to you.
I watched a Air Force Security Police (SP) officer spray two drunks that were fighting outside the NCO club. In his haste to break up the fight he forgot to check the wind direction before unloading on them...:rolleyes1: While the two drunks weren't really happy about it they were drunk enough not to be too upset...but they did quit fighting at least. The SP on the other hand was crying, sneezing, coughing, and being very vocal, in exceedingly "colorful" language, about his discomfort. I laughed so hard I spilled my beer...:wink:

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I'm not a big fan of pepper spray. I have tried it on dogs while jogging. It is harder than it looks to hit an animal that is chasing and very quick. Maybe with the longer distance bear spray I'd have better luck. I have also gotten a small whiff when the wind was wrong, it will open up sinuses.
You also need to pay attention to your driving, not aiming a can of pepper spray.
Dogs can definitely be a problem, I'm not sure pepper is a useful solution.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I lived in Ogden, UT, and was in my bicycling days, I rode a route out towards the Lake a couple of times a month because it was flat and I could spin. There was a German shepherd that lived along the route and he'd just lay there and watch me go by. One day, I had been in a group ride on the same route, but had gotten dropped. There were a couple of guys behind me and I was moving pretty good. I didn't notice the dog, but all of a sudden, my rear wheel bounced sideways several inches and when I looked back the shepherd was sitting in the middle of the road shaking his head. The guys behind me said he looked like he was asleep when I passed his yard and jumped up and ran straight into the side of my bike. He never bothered me again.

Top Bottom