Any new boot suggestions

Luke7

I need a a good everyday wear/all day wear pair of riding boots or any sneaker style riding shoes. I bought a cheap pair to start with and realize I need something that actually has some support.
Any suggestions?

Paul

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I have only one very strong suggestion. Make sure that any footwear you use that has laces (with the inevitable loops) has provision for, and you use, a feature to make sure those loops aren't lurking to catch on a shift lever, brake lever, or footpeg at some inopportune moment.

- from one who knows :eek1:

Marker

I have been wearing a good quality hiking boot for years on my cruisers, however with this riding position, whith my knees bent, I really was not getting a lot of wind and rain protection as my riding pants were up to the top of my ankles so bought a pair of high top boots. The only trouble with high top m/c boots are that they are not that great for walking around.

I still prefer my hicking boots in fair weather on day rides, but on trips, I wear the larger boots and bring along something good for walking.

In summary, nothing is perfect for all ocassions. You may have to have several.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I agree with the above comment. I prefer motorcycle specific boots for riding but they are usually not that good for doing a lot of walking in. I change into my work shoes when I get to work and if I know I am going to be sight seeing or hiking while on a trip I throw a spare pair of walking/hiking shoes into my top box.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Tactical boots. The ones with side zippers.

My first pair were Danner. I still have them after 5 years of almost daily wear, but, the tread is worn almost off. My second pair is Bates, have had them for a year. They are comfortable for all day, including long hikes. The Danner's are insulated and water resistant (waterproof if treated) and the Bates' are the summer version.

Bike
choosing
I have a pair of Icon Super Duty boots. I like them a lot. It has a clasp that folds
over and latches the laces down. They are a little pricey (90-100) but they are
well made and comfortable. I even wear them (sometimes) when I am not riding.

Joe

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I have those Tourmaster ones as well, and they are comfortable enough for normal walking around (but they lack armor). But somehow, for some reason, the sole of the left boot has holes in it. The right shoe is perfectly fine. I'm struggling to determine how I did this. The sidestand on my bike has a small "knob" on it so possibly, over the course of hundreds of uses, I put too much pressure on it and it pushed a hole through some of the heel area spots, but I really can't explain the other worn out area. And it's become a risk because that white plastic piece that is now exposed is pretty slippery on pavement. And of course, in wet conditions like on the OH ride, I had one soaking wet foot, and one dry one :D

Overall, I liked the boot a lot but I do need to question the quality of the soles. The boots are 15 months old, worn in all conditions and temperatures.

I am going to replace them with these Cortech Latigo boots which are a similar design, but with a little armor thrown in. Of course, armor makes them less appealing for walking around in. Someday I'll pull the trigger on a nice pair of Sidi's or something, but I can't bring myself to spend $400+ on boots quite yet. The Cortech's are about $50 more than the Tourmasters.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
MY SIDI on roads, finely started leaking a little. with nearly 100K on them since 06 I am not complaining. I replaced them on my second day of my trip to CO. with a pair of Alpine stars. so far they have done a good job for me. they were instrumental in saving me from serios damage in the recent deer strike.

eldon

kenstone

I have been wearing work boots for riding since "engineer boots" were the only other option.
They call engineer boots Hawley boots now, but I found them to be uncomfortable for walking around, back then.

I would think that lace boots would stay on you feet better during any type of crash, so that's my preference, although I've never tested this theory.
That and I despise side zippers on a lace boot, what's it for:shrug2:

My latest pair of work boots are logging boots having a taller sole/heel as I am somewhat elevation'ally challenged, riding the NT.
Refered to by some here as Herman Munster boots
http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Buckeye-Soft-Toe-Non-Insulated-Gore-Tex/dp/B000I5RKOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374549735&sr=8-1&keywords=wolverine+buckeye+boots
Ken
edited to add: I recently rode to the Grand Canyon North Rim with my son and we did some serious walking around/hiking type site seeing.
I had the work boots, son had fancy high end ($$) motorcycle riding boots and one of us got blisters on his shins and heels;)

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Tactical boots. The ones with side zippers.

My first pair were Danner. I still have them after 5 years of almost daily wear, but, the tread is worn almost off. My second pair is Bates, have had them for a year. They are comfortable for all day, including long hikes. The Danner's are insulated and water resistant (waterproof if treated) and the Bates' are the summer version.
Just finished a 5 week 7,000 mile trip wearing Bates boots with the side zipper. Wore them for several long hikes, hot days (99%), cold morning and high altitude rides (40's). Comfortable the entire time. Really good boots.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I wear Bates Tactical boots as well. With the Gore-Tex lining they have kept my feet nice and dry...even this summer with the incessant rain...:rolleyes1:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
FWIW, when shopping for the Bates boots I had a choice of three types. The ones I got, a less expensive desert type and the insulated version.

"That and I despise side zippers on a lace boot, what's it for"

The laces allow a good fit of the boot. Then you use the zipper to get them on and off. I HATE lacing boots every day. BTDT for 20 years in the Army (back then zippers were not allowed). So, you get the comfort and fit of a good hiking boot with the ease of a zipper.

I tried the Tourmaster boots on. Not sure how long it would take to break them in for wearing all day, but, they were horrible in the store. Actually, I tried on several brands and types and all were way too stiff in the ankle for walking.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
So, maybe you can answer. Why buy motorcycle riding shoes or low cut boots? Seems they offer little over a pair of sneakers or hiking boots and cost a lot more.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
You missed Number Six, which is also a "bonus" and goes hand in hand with your Number 5. You generally pay more for boots with the word "motorcycle" anywhere in the product description.

To me boots are like helmets, their fit and comfort are the most important things to consider. I get your Items 1, 3 and 4 with my Gore-Tex lined Bates Tactical Boots that I wear now days. Number 2 I'm not particularly concerned about as I won't wear mid calf or knee high boots on the street and Number 5 I try to avoid usually... Unless I'm off Pirating naturally...then a couple of chrome skulls and cross bones looped in my Bates boot laces solve that styling concern...:rolleyes1: :D

kenstone

Bates Wolverine, same company:smile::cool:
Dicks Sporting Goods sells Bates tactical boots...without zippers:p
just sayin'
Ken

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Laces shred easily and may or may not keep the boot on your foot in an accident. I think the only reason one of my laced boots at the time stayed on during my 60 mph low side is because it had a metal buckle across them. No idea how, but the laces were in tatters when all was said and done.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Found the combat touring boots from Aerostich to be great for long rides. Not so great for work, though. Kept sneakers in my desk.
I got the Combat Lites. I change into a different pair of shoes for work (I kind of like the skirt with m/c boot look, but my boss ain't so crazy about it).

I no longer buy any sort of boot with a zipper on it. The Sidi Way Tapors that I liked so much? 40K miles and one of the zippers blew out 400 miles from home. And the spouse has two pair (Sidi and Gaerne), both of which had a zipper break on them. The Aerostich boots are made by Sidi. They have two different sole options, two different boot height options. They are pretty thick leather, and are not advertised as waterproof, but I have yet to get my feet wet and I routinely ride in the rain.

Once the initial break in period was over (roughly 2 days of wearing), they are pretty danged comfy.

Inside: No lining, the white is the sueded side of the leather. Nice and soft!

Bottom of the boot, cleated sole

Last edited:

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I should amend my comment about laces shredding easily by saying that those particular boots I had on at the time did not go above the ankle. They were heavily armored, but low. For laced boots that go above, or well above the ankle, I can't imagine sliding along the pavement would be able to remove them if they're fully laced up and snug!

Top Bottom