Any new boot suggestions

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I think the uppers are a synthetic material and not leather if that matters to you. I would only purchase a leather outer for durability reasons.

OP
OP

Luke7

Thanks for all of the info, I had a feeling a question like this would open a can of worms.
Right now , I wear an Xelement boot.
42041_H_SW215_MH250.jpg
The big drawback is that it takes "forever" to put the boots on, which is the main reason I wear them all day at work. After a year, they have become too soft, so that is why I am searching for a new pair.
Again, great info............

Paul

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Thanks for all of the info, I had a feeling a question like this would open a can of worms.
Which oil or gas brand, helmet brands and types, and protective gear, like boots, are usually good for a long thread with a lot of differing opinions. The good thing is we all get to see the new stuff being discussed we might not have considered. Bottom line is to wear what fits and is comfortable for you...

The big drawback is that it takes "forever" to put the boots on, which is the main reason I wear them all day at work.
That is the advantage of side zippers, you can "set and forget" the laces once they are comfortable.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I'm not really into the "motorcycle" only boots. I wear 6" Red Wing work boot at work and riding. For me, these are very good all day walking or riding shoes. I get 3-4 years of wear on the sole before they start soaking up water when walking on wet pavement or dirt at work, then it is time for new ones.... I'm on my 5th (maybe 6th) pair. 2-3 years of wear is A LOT of miles, estimate 200/year. I liked the steel toed shoes for work so much I bought a non steel toed pair for mostly riding that have lasted 10 years. These boots did a great job of protecting my ankle in recent lay down. The steel toed version works well for riding but needs more room for gear shifter than the non steel toed version.

What I really like about these boots for riding:
-Sole is very sticky on foot peg in any weather and on wet/oily road surfaces
-Flat sole means treads or heal never catches or snags taking foot off peg and no treads to pick up rocks
-Easy on & off
-Waterproof for > 1/2 hour (my commute time).
-As comfortable as any sneaker i've owned for walking.
-Not black...means not so hot in the sun
-With cold gear socks, been able to ride for several hours at <30F and no heated socks.

Things that could be better:
-Sole wear
-8 in boot may offer better protection

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I also use Red Wing boots. I don't like laces when riding so I have the wellington style pull on. http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/1125-red-wing-shoes/1125-red-wing-mens-11-inch-pull-on-boot-black This is my summer boot and my winter boot is this boot http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/2499-red-wing-shoes/2499-red-wing-mens-12-inch-pull-on-boot-brown As said before my summer boot lasts about 5 years or so and I have had my winter boots now for close to 10 years. Good vale for the money.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
At least we are all discussing our favorite boots and not our favoirte flip flops for riding. I still see the shorts, t-shirt, flip flop guys riding around and pray that they will never have to see the pavement.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I finally retired my first pair of riding boots. It was kind of a forced retirement as one of them got completely soaked in oil. They were old and worn out enough that they were not worth cleaning. I had two newer pairs of boots, but wanted something for more casual. Based on the info in this thread I ordered the TCX X waterproof "shoes". They arrived tonight and I went for a 40 mile ride this evening.

They fit me perfect right away. Just a little stiff at the top at first, but they are so comfy that I forgot I was wearing brand new shoes/boots a mile from the house. Did some errands and walked around in them and thought they were pretty good. Some parts just a litle stiff, but I expect them to break in great.

They are much more stout and have more protection than I expected. They look like cloth and retro high tops but feel more like boots because of the materials they are made of. They have extra protection over the ankles.

I have two other pairs of motorcycle specific boots. Icon Patrol which I tend to wear on my DR650, and Dianese nighthawk boots. The Dianese are new and I haven't even rode with them yet because they are so stiff and they are two narrow in the toe box and too loose in the heel. I thought I could break them in and missed my return date. In comparison the TCX shoes feel like they have as much protection as the icon patrols but are lighter and more comfortable. The TCX X shoes look the best with my kevlar riding jeans too. I am less concerned about style, but they are more my style.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I've had a pair of Alpinestars Ridge boots for the five years i have been riding. the boot have about 60,000 miles behind them in most weathers. I like the looks of the Red Wings above. May have to find the local Red Wing store and check them out.

Incidently, in on of my SAD episodes, the bike came down with the foot peg directly on my right ankle. Didn't feel a thing. Boots good... flipflops, not so much.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I had a pair of the Tourmaster Solution "waterproof" boots for 3 years before I finally had to spend a day riding in the rain on my recent trip to New England. They lasted about an hour in light to medium rain before they started soaking through. Up until that point, I loved these boots. I contacted them through their web site to complain about the "non-waterproofness". They sent me an RMA # and I sent them back (cost me about $8), and they ended up sending me a brand new pair (even though the warranty is only one year from date of purchase). Their warranty department had deemed them "unrepairable." So at least they have good customer service!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
For waterproof boots I prefer those with Gore-Tex linings. They usually cost more but I find them more reliable. Gore-Tex certifies manufactures that use their products unlike some of the other types of waterproof membranes that are used.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I went to the local Gander Mountain and tried on boots for an hour. Far and away the most comfortable of the bunch were 5.11 brand. They are called Coyote and they are just $99. Desert Storm looking tan leather and nylon. Side zipper is great. Lace them up snug once, tuck laces in behind front of boots and never worry about them again. These are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. They felt broken-in as I was trying them out in the store. I have worn them for several 12 - 14 hr. days of riding - hiking - riding - standing, etc, with no problems. Light weight, feet do not sweat. I always replace the insoles of all my footwear with high quality, high arch soft orthotic insoles. These keep the plantar fascitis at bay and make concrete feel like carpet. These boots are nicely padded (about 1/4" thick) from the ankle up and they make my feet feel very well protected on the bike. Thickly padded collar around the top of the boot with velcro tie down for zipper pull. Hidden pocket on outside of each boot for money, emergency knife, etc. Great traction on the pavement and in the dirt. Look great, feel great, all for an excellent price I think. I will soon be buying a second pair to be used exclusively when riding my NT!

OP
OP

Luke7

I would like to thank everyone for all of the suggestions. I found a new pair of boots. I got these:
04414_trans_IS.png Redwing 4414s. I went to a nearby specialty boot store and spoke with the in-house Certified Pedorthist (never heard of one), showed him my old boot and in about 10 minutes he had me try the 414. Very comfortable, not hot, can wear all day, great arch support which is helping some of my back pain, and the sole is much higher which means I can now comfortably reach the ground while on the bike. In fact I am now experimenting with a Sargent Low seat and the original seat to decide which feels better. Cost a lot of $$$, but will probably be worth it in the long run.

Paul :turtle:

Top Bottom