Any "Red" NT owners notice darkening body color?

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Has anyone else with the red NT noticed the color seems to be darkening with time?
I purchased my NT in July 2010 and just this weekend installed a Honda topbox. The color of the new topbox is much brighter red than the bike. I then compared to some photos I took the day I bought the bike, and the color of the bike seems to have changed over time to a much darker, almost maroon color.
It doesn't seem to be uneven, like sun had caused it, as the areas covered by the front edge of the seat are the same color. It is almost like a general darkening of hue over time.
Does anyone else feel their red bike color has changed?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
We told you to get the faster, more durable silver NT!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
the color of the bike seems to have changed over time to a much darker, almost maroon color.
Most colors get lighter, not darker with fading so that is odd...

Since you mentioned it almost maroon does that mean the significantly faster Silver NT owners should now do a Bugs Bunny imitation of his famous "What a maroon" line when referring to the slower :turtle: "maroon" NT's? :rofl1: :rofl1: :D

Last edited:

Silver Ranger

Change in color is driven by the extreme heat generated by the higher speeds of the red NT. This is why none of the silver owners have noticed a change.

I pulled my box out of the basement and compared it to my NT and did not see any difference in color.

The deepening of the color is due to the bike's shell being tempered by the friction as it cuts through the wind at it's substantially superior cruising speed. :p

Redshifts are attributable to the Doppler effect, familiar in the changes in the apparent pitches of sirens and frequency of the sound waves emitted by speeding vehicles; an observed redshift due to the Doppler effect occurs whenever a light source moves away from an observer. Cosmological redshift is seen due to the expansion of the universe, and sufficiently distant light sources (generally more than a few million light years away) show redshift corresponding to the rate of increase of their distance from Earth. Finally, gravitational redshifts are a relativistic effect observed in electromagnetic radiation moving out of gravitational fields. Conversely, a decrease in wavelength is called blue shift and is generally seen when a light-emitting object moves toward an observer or when electromagnetic radiation moves into a gravitational field.
Wikpedia
Perhaps all the NT's are constantly moving away from us.

Lorien

Last edited:

taldric

The real question which on will go farther? Bet the NT will still be going when the ST fuel tank is Bone dry....
Not to throw rain on your parade - but the ST has a freaking HUGE fuel tank at 7.7 gallons. Even with a lower MPG they can go a LONG way. Not sure of actual distances though.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
This entire thread is too funny! Just wait until I blow past ALL of you on my super-supremely-fastest BLACK 2011 NT!!! (That is, assuming they ever decide on a price and actually deliver some to dealers....and that my lovely and gracious wife allows me to buy one.....)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The real question which on will go farther? Bet the NT will still be going when the ST fuel tank is Bone dry....
Well, probably not. The ST has a lot bigger tank. I don't feel real comfortable trying to get much more than 200 miles out of an NT tank; I'm pretty sure STs will nearly all come pretty close to 300 most tanks.

If I were designing the perfect NT, tank capacity of at least 6.5 gollons woulld be pretty much a given.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
This entire thread is too funny! Just wait until I blow past ALL of you on my super-supremely-fastest BLACK 2011 NT!!! (That is, assuming they ever decide on a price and actually deliver some to dealers....and that my lovely and gracious wife allows me to buy one.....)
It will be interesting :rolleyes1: when the 2012 owners start arriving....

To set the stage I will remind you that black is not a color, rather it is the absence of color... Since black absorbs light, and heats accordingly, the black will be the slowest of the NT colors as the excess heat will substantially degrade a black NT's performance... This heat retention experienced with darker colors is one of the reasons the Maroon :turtle: NT is much slower than the significantly faster Silver :D

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I have a SILVER NT which I love, and a RED ST that I love. I KNOW which goes faster
I have a Silver NT and a Silver ST, and I won't mention my silver Wee. Do any of you think I would own a slow bike? I also Know which one will go Faster and Further. I can get in excess of 300 miles on the ST tank. My best being 340 before I chickened out and filled it up. The worst I ever got was about 240 to a tank and that was running triple digits in West Texas.
The best I got on the NT is 220, but I have not pushed the issue as I don't want to push the bike. Someday I will take me a gallon can of gas and see how far I can go when the fuel gage is in the red reserve range.

Note# The NT really excelled in last nights Denver rush hour traffic.

Last edited:
It will be interesting :rolleyes1: when the 2012 owners start arriving....

To set the stage I will remind you that black is not a color, rather it is the absence of color... Since black absorbs light, and heats accordingly, the black will be the slowest of the NT colors as the excess heat will substantially degrade a black NT's performance... This heat retention experienced with darker colors is one of the reasons the Maroon :turtle: NT is much slower than the significantly faster Silver :D
Given the cosmological track this post has taken, I submit that the black NT has made the "which is faster" discussion moot. Both silver and red NT's will inevitably be drawn towards the black NT moving faster and faster until they are ultimately destroyed. (The ST's might be fast enough to escape the pull of gravity). :rolleyes1:

OP
OP
dannyjo
Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Just where did my thread go off the tracks? Hope no one was hurt in the wreck!
You guys are nuts.... but we are showing some higher intelligence with our choice of rides.

elizilla

This is all very pointless. Everyone knows that Honda is never going to offer the NT in any fast color. I predict that for 2013 we'll get a dark blue, and for 2014 it'll be a different shade of gray. Slow colors one and all. If you want a fast NT you'll have to paint it, because that'll be the only way to get one in lime green.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The best I got on the NT is 220, but
I have gone 264 miles on a tank with the NT. I put 4.6 gallons in at that point, so I was averaging 56mpg. Of course, I had ridden from Tabernash, CO, through Rocky Mountain National Park and down to Greeley as part of that. I had a net altitude loss of about 4,000' and that, added to the fact that the speed limit in the Park is now 35mph, both significantly boosted my fuel mileage.

Bike
Silver NT700V
This is all very pointless. Everyone knows that Honda is never going to offer the NT in any fast color. I predict that for 2013 we'll get a dark blue, and for 2014 it'll be a different shade of gray. Slow colors one and all. If you want a fast NT you'll have to paint it, because that'll be the only way to get one in lime green.
I thought for sure you were headed for British Racing Green with that one.

Top Bottom