Any thoughts on this?

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I agree, it is a terrific engine. I bought a 2020 Civic with the 1.5 turbo and a 7 spd CVT. It is a potent little engine and quite a bit faster accelerating than the CR-V we have. Probably due to the lower weight and different HP and torque curve. We routinely get 50+ MPG with the Civic.....about 10 more than the CR-V ( deduct 20% for US mpg). Most impressive engine I have owned.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Perhaps it's a special model with oil pump driven by the driveshaft? :rofl1:

My usual warmup (summer or winter) consists of starting my car in the garage, backing it out, stopping to buckling my lap belt then driving away. My motorcycles are pushed outside, engines started while I put on my helmet & gloves before riding off.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Perhaps it's a special model with oil pump driven by the driveshaft? :rofl1:
That's why I didn't bother watching the videos, they looked like the type of worthless fact-free content that permeates the interwebbies nowadays. As if the still shots of oil/coolant mix weren't enough of a giveaway!

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I probably have one of the most cold blooded engines on the market.....Honda's 1.5 turbo. The first engines of this type had oil/fuel dilution problems due to the long warm up times in cold weather. Fuel was washing down past the rings into the crankcase. The 2022 CR-V added shutters to the radiator, and a water jacket around the exhaust manifold. They also made some software changes. It is still slow to warm up, but the fuel dilution problem is gone. My vehicle lives outside, and often has a thick layer of ice on the windshield. I need to let it idle for 5-10 minutes to clear that. It is just something I have to live with and I don't fret over it.
I have a 2004 crv with the old but reliable 2.5 normally aspirated engine. Who ever designed the cooling system was a genius IMHO. The car warms up fast and stays at one place on the temp gage. I have cruised on the interstate in MN at 25 below and it stays at the same place.... my old 1980 something chevy pickup 6 cylinder was a POS. I had to but cardboard in front of the radiator to get the heater to work in cold weather.......

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I didn't look at the video before, but I just did. If the oil pan and rockers are clear, which it appears they are, that engine has some serious problems. What you are seeing is an emulsion, not pure engine oil. He says that air is being whipped into the oil casuing it to foam... that's not foam. Somehow or another I suspect that engine coolant is mixing with the oil causing the emulsion.
I'd to agree, likely symptom will be "peanut-butter" at the underside of the "710 cap"... ;)
Seriously, my ST1100's block has a view-glass, never saw such a coloring and it would alarm me TOTALLY... :eek: ; new oil nearly transparent (dyed by MFGs specs, green, blue, yellow, red...) and starts to darken with usage (carbon deposits, micro shavings, etc...)...
Cold starts are hard on any engine as clearances are designed/fabricated for full operating temp, hence a cold engine will seep and suffer wear on parts...
24 hour radio cabs/taxis run endless miles cause their engines never cool off, whilst your sedan used for commuting will see at least two cold starts each workingday ...

In winter some riders developed the (bad) habit of starting the engine and letting it idle for a few minutes every week or so... bad idea!
Besides excessive wear due lack of lubrication each (cold) start blows gases, partially unburden fuel and condensate by the rings... water and exhaust gases make a highly corrosive mix, breaking down the oil...

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
One of the reasons I like my electric. Lets me pop into town to eat or buy something at the shops without the worry of driving far enough to get it all up to temp.

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Are you going to shut off the engine so it isn't idling at stoplights?
Some newer cars do that for you. Stupidest "feature" I've ever encountered. I almost got clobbered getting on a busy freeway with a minimal acceleration lane when my rental car shut down an instant before I stomped the gas pedal.

Top Bottom