Anybody Ever Own a Honda PC800?

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Just a little more comfortable, don't handle as well, harder to work on, don't quite have as far fuel range, no luggage latch problems and holds more hot dog buns.

tawilke46

The PC was the easiest motorcycle I ever rode. Mine was a ‘98, last year they were made. Only had 2,000 on it at the dealer.
As above and also could hold ice and a couple six packs in the trunk.
I averaged between 45 and 50 mpg. With the 4.2 gallon tank you could easily go 150 miles between fill ups. Would make a great commuter

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
i had 2 of them. 1st one about 163,500 miles, 2nd one about 78,000 miles. liked the all plastic body, easy to clean. got many questions "is that a scooter". looking for a honda, finally time for the NT.
stay with FI. NT - FI, 64 hp, PC - carbs, 46 hp. unless you really want a carb bike, stay with FI, no messy small jest and small cavities to clean out from gummed up gasoline.

Found a used ‘94 in great condition back in the early 2000’s. Bought it thinking it would make good commuter/cruiser/tourer. Didn’t handle that well even after a set of fresh tires. It was hot to ride in traffic but that trademark Honda weirdness attracted me to the bike. Loved the trunk, was able to go grocery shopping with ease. Didn’t have any issues with it and the mileage was low but in the end it just wasn’t for me. Put maybe 1000 miles on it and sold it surprisingly quick to a PC enthusiast.

I stopped messing around with used bikes after that and moved on to a new ‘03 Suzuki Bandit1200S.

Some folks like to compare the NT to the PC but they really are very different machines. The NT is actually more comfortable to me and is much more fun in the canyons. Where the PC felt heavy and sluggish the NT feels very light and easy to ride, dare I say playful in comparison.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I had one for 12 years, a '97 model bought new, and loved it but it was time to move on so I bought a new NT700V in Dec 2009. Vibration felt in the grips or from the footpegs was non-existent. At least for me, the smallish 4.2 gal tank was sometimes a real problem when riding out west with its higher speeds and fewer gas stations!

One point not mentioned was that washing and drying was a 20-minute process max because the bodywork covered everything! :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Never owned one but I believe the valves had hydraulic adjusters so no valve adjustments were required.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LeeInMpls
Thanks everyone! You really put it in perspective for me. Maybe another nice bike to put collectors plates on and eligible for the Antique Japanese Motorcycle Club. I'll look for something newer for touring.

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I had a white one. I liked it. The trunk is highly functional. The seat is comfortable. The wind protection is good. The suspension is marginal. The valves are hydraulic and never need adjustment. The stator is a common failure item. Top speed is 106 MPH (verified by me.)
The NT700 with is ABS is a better bike.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
JimTid - at that time, '89-98, there were lots of Honda that suffered charging system problems and many of those problems were caused by high resistance in certain electrical connectors. I had a '97 PC800 for 12 years and always made it a winter maintenance task to clean and regrease the connector between the alternator and the reg/rec + cleaning and regreasing the battery posts & cable ends.

That bike still had the original alternator and reg/rec (@ 102k miles) when I sold it in 2009, after buying my NT700V. Had more PC800 owners done the same thing, I'm sure their charging systems would have also stayed healthy. :)

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I put 100k on my 97 the only problem I had was a voltage regulator failure.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
In 1990 my wife bought a new Pacific Coast for only $4900. It came with a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. I bought an ST1100 and we did a lot of 5000 mile trips. The PC was trouble free and required only routine service, which I did. From my time in the saddle, I found it more comfortable than the ST1100, and smoother. But I did not enjoy riding it. A bit too much of a "Toyota Camry" personality.
She sold it after 5 or 6 years and got more than she paid for it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Beautiful! Very much like the one I had. Mine had a CB (which didn't work), an audio cassette player (which didn't work either), and 3 or 4 red LED gauges just below the wind screen which showed voltage, outside air temperature, CB channel chosen, and, if there was a 4th one, something else that I don't remember. Those gauges were about an 1"- 1 1/2" display and I loved the way they looked, especially at night.

Mine had the same crash bars, plus foot rests and a heel-and-toe shifter (which I didn't particularly like). I bought the bike for $2500 when it had 19,000 on the odometer, rode it for 19,000 miles in 13 months and sold it for $2200. It was a great $300 investment. I enjoyed the 2 '99 Kawasaki Concours I rode for 165,000 miles after the GL650, and I've loved my NT, but if I had tons of room in my garage, I'd like another GL650 for casual rides.

OP
OP
LeeInMpls
Thanks folks! This has a $1,000 price. Owner told someone he'd sell it to them but buyer wanted to wait until spring. Seller said he'd call the other guy. He has health problems and would like to move it now, for his wife's sake. I did get a trailer and 3 guys arranged to help me get it out of the shed and the snow. It is good to have a network from the CX500forum and the Antique Japanese Motorcycle Club when you need help. People who like to wrench old bikes are a good lot.

If it doesn't work out, I might be putting on a second seasonal (about 32 weeks) Absentee Election Judge fulltime job next month for the City of Minneapolis. Had an interview and find out on Friday. If I do and this Gl650 doesn't work out, I may be looking at a new Royal Enfield 650cc Interceptor. We have a great dealership here in town. Go Moto The dealer puts small sidecars on them, which I could do later. They are fuel injected and have hydraulic lifters. But my eyes are always open for a low mileage nearby NT.orange-2.png

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The Royal Enfield sounds like it's a good machine, Lee, but I personally hope the GL650i works out for you!

Top Bottom