anyone have success with gray to black plastic restoration?

The title pretty much says it. I know this has been discussed many times, but has anyone found anything that actually works over several years?

The usual plastic parts on my 700 are gray and scratch very easily, even with a gentle finger nail rub.

I wouldn't mind painting the parts, but I wonder if anyone has long term success yet.

Thanks in advance, Cliff

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
in the early stages some of the off the shelf stuff might work but when they get gray like you are describing I think you are out of luck.
I never had success with any thing off the shelf and I have tried them all. I did see a video where they took a heat gun to them with brings the oils to the surface and brings them back. Never tried it.
I ended up painting mine.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700

Spray on, disperse with a soft, lint free cotton cloth...
In severe cases let sit over night, again wipe/disperse excess off with soft cotton cloth...
(also great for cleaning/refreshing the polycarbonate screen, removes tar-spot, bug-splash, also has some water dispensing properties when riding in rain)

Often shown, never tried myself though: the heat-gun method...
Intended to melt the outer laminated layers (back) together, but high risk of melting the surface texture away...

OP
OP
cliffh
in the early stages some of the off the shelf stuff might work but when they get gray like you are describing I think you are out of luck.
I never had success with any thing off the shelf and I have tried them all. I did see a video where they took a heat gun to them with brings the oils to the surface and brings them back. Never tried it.
I ended up painting mine.
What kind of paint did you use and how has it held up? I was looking at "Krylon Fusion all-in-one spray paint for plastic". The bike just looks too good to have that scratched plastic that is just going to get worse.

OP
OP
cliffh

Spray on, disperse with a soft, lint free cotton cloth...
In severe cases let sit over night, again wipe/disperse excess off with soft cotton cloth...
(also great for cleaning/refreshing the polycarbonate screen, removes tar-spot, bug-splash, also has some water dispensing properties when riding in rain)

Often shown, never tried myself though: the heat-gun method...
Intended to melt the outer laminated layers (back) together, but high risk of melting the surface texture away...
I tried the heat-gun method. It does indeed make the plastic shiny and gloss black again, however, it did nothing about scratching when even a fingernail rubs it.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The plastic will deteriorate to the point of crumbling until you paint it. A satin black exterior trim paint works the best, at most parts stores.

Mike

OP
OP
cliffh
The plastic will deteriorate to the point of crumbling until you paint it. A satin black exterior trim paint works the best, at most parts stores.

Mike
I went out last evening and purchased some Krylon Fusion all-in-one spray paint for plastic, satin black, and will give that a shot as soon as the weather gets good enough to spray outside. I'll post my results.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Several years ago, they did have a Krylon or Rust-o-Lium paint "for plastics," it came in Satin Black, and was available at my local True Value store. I can no longer find that paint at True Value and now they offer the one-for-all-version but at least on metal parts, I find it doesn't work well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cliffh
This can does say for all plastics and metal, not just plastic. I'll see how it works.
Warren, when did you paint your parts and how is it holding up?
I'm committed to this project now as I have already started to clean and sand parts:biggrin:

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
My NT was parked outside at work a lot and the hot Arkansas sun really deteriorated some of the plastic. If yours are too far gone for painting, replacing the small ones that aren't too $$ like tail and fairing pocket covers may be a good option.
I realize this is replacing, not repairing and preserving. Just another option to consider.

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
This can does say for all plastics and metal, not just plastic. I'll see how it works.
I'm committed to this project now as I have already started to clean and sand parts:biggrin:
Cliff, one thought I might mention. If you have used any of the restoration products, make sure you wipe down the parts with a body solvent prior to painting. Some of the restoration products leave a residue on the part that can cause fish eyes.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...I'm committed to this project now as I have already started to clean and sand parts..."

Most of the trim pieces that originally came in black have a pebble grain finish so sanding them is not ideal.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
"...I'm committed to this project now as I have already started to clean and sand parts..."

Most of the trim pieces that originally came in black have a pebble grain finish so sanding them is not ideal.
Even without sanding the paint will fill in the grain on the plastic so you will lose the pebble grain. The body solvent eliminates the need for the sanding

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I bought my NT in 2010. I think I painted the parts around 2016. My NT lived outdoors although I did keep it covered whenever possible. The paint was still good when I traded it in on a Yamaha XMAX in 2019

Bike
2010 NT700V
"Trim and Bumper Paint" Duplicolor etc... available from any auto parts store. Pick up the primer too. Prep plastic as best you can. May require touch-ups here and there, but this is probably the best you can hope for short of getting plastic pieces vinyl wrapped.

OP
OP
cliffh
Cliff, one thought I might mention. If you have used any of the restoration products, make sure you wipe down the parts with a body solvent prior to painting. Some of the restoration products leave a residue on the part that can cause fish eyes.

Mike
Thanks for the advice. I have cleaned the parts with solvent and sanded them to clean and give the new paint something to "bite". I'll paint as soon as it gets warm enough outside to paint. Probably this weekend.

OP
OP
cliffh
I just did a very light sanding to give the new paint something to grab onto and get rid of some of the very soft surface. Yep, I'll lose some of the original pebble texture, but it has to be. I'd rather the parts be almost smooth than scratched, gray and faded to something that looks 40 years old. I'm hoping for the best. I'll let you know how it goes.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I saw this on another forum. Haven’t tried it but thinking of tackling the same issue as OP.

I wouldn't have much confidence in the product if your black plastic has already faded to gray. I haven't seen a product yet that has restored the plastic trim on the NT to black long term. This stuff is rather pricey too. I may be wrong, it's your money and your bike.

Mike

Top Bottom