Anyone Use their Smartphone as their GPS and MP3 on their bike?

Loid Fittman

Even though they are not protected from vibrations or the weather and cannot be used with gloves, does anyone use their smartphone on their motorcycle?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Yes, I have used my Droid X to play MP3's and Google Maps to navigate on my NT, as long as you have 3G coverage it will work. I put my Droid X in the map pocket on my tank bag and that addresses the vibration and weather issues. Using a touch screen while dealing with fat fingers, the map case and gloves are another issue though...

OP
OP

Loid Fittman

Wayne,

I have a Droid X myself, so now at least I know it's possible.

Thanks for the info.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The only time I've used my Droid as a GPS was in Colorado Springs when I was going to a restaurant that wasn't on my (then-outdated) Garmin map.

It worked fine. Don't think I'd like it as well as my Street Pilot 2720 for the bike, though.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That is only a partial work around... I would still have the vinyl map case issue which I could resolve with a mount, but with a mount now it isn't out of the weather when mounted unless it is in a clear case which means I can't touch it again...nasty little circle eh? Using a Driod X is not the best solution on a bike but it will work in a pinch....

If I need a real GPS that bad I'll just use my orphan Magellan 4250 that I already have a mount for and Bluetooth connect it to my Scala 2 Headset which is "hard wired" to my iPod....

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I don't have a smart phone. But, I do use my Blackberry to listen to music while I ride. Pandora is a great free download source for music. For those not familiar, you can set the names of the artists you like as stations, then it works as a radio to play those and similar artists. I like it better than xm radio in the cage. AND it's free!

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I use an E-Ten (no longer available). I don't use it visually so gloves are not a problem. I just listen to the instructions via my Bluetooth Headset.

TomTom European Maps with Speed Camera Database (which needs updating as I got flashed by an unknown camera two weeks ago - 36 in a 30 mph zone :-( )

mlester1973

Ram Mount has a universal "waterproof" box that works with the Droid withhttp://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045065081050085/Default.aspx

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Well, the thought of using my LG Spectrum Android phone as a GPS as well as an entertainment center (IHeart, TuneIn & Pandora) was VERY enticing. However, this phone doesn't take to heat at all...:mad: I even convinced Verizon to give me a new one, but the new one doesn't like heat either.
I picked up a Garmin Nuvi 2457LMT from my local AAFES (Edwards AFB, CA). The GPS with a 2 year extended warranty put me back $160. Not a bad price. I'll mount it on the center of the handlebars with a Ram mount & cradle from GPS city. My entertainment will come from my iPod loaded with music & podcasts.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Have not had any trouble with the Samsung SIII on a RAM mount. Just don't leave it out there while in a parking lot.

Mattb

I use my Garmin 550 for nav and an iPhone or iPod for tunes (Scala G4 Headsets).

The problem with this set up is bluetooth. Seems it's inherently wonky, no matter the device. Combine multiple devices and a riding partner with the same and bluetooth can be an absolute nightmare.

I'd simplify to an iPhone, but haven't researched nav apps to find out if any allow you to pre-plan and save routes for use at a later date.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Try looking for the Copilot software for the iPhone. It has served me well on the android systems I have used it on. It is a full featured GPS, saving routes, preferences, locations, etc. Has a traffic alert feature and some other stuff Ihave not tried out.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I don't use my Galaxy S3 for my GPS on the bike, but I have used it when traveling around France, mostly walking. With the GPS the phone eats up battery amazingly fast. The obvious effect of this is the phone gets pretty warm. Not burn-your-hand warm, but "this-can't-be-good" warm. I also have had "CoPilot GPS" it lock up using it on my Samsung and y iPad mini. In fact, I couldn't get this app to work on my iPad mini until I suppressed POI display. Even then it often complained on startup. There's no point in my using it for GPS on the bike since I have the long-ago sunk cost of my Zumo 660, which always works. This thing mediates calls from my Samsung and works OK.

Yeah, bluetooth is generally a headache. My Sena headset highly reliably connects to my Zumo, but the Samsung often needs coaxing to connect to the Zumo. It'll work fine for weeks then I have to perform a manual reconnect on restart of the Zumo for some number of times, then it works fine again for weeks. The Samsung almost always hooks right up to my Prius bluetooth just fine, though. Go figure.

I don't generally listen to music while riding. There are numerous reasons for this. Foremost is that I like to listen to whole operas. I have yet to find a music player that handles this situation well. One has to concoct playlists consisting of the proper sequencing of multiple CDs and each and every device type does it differently and some resist the desire to simply play through an opera in proper sequence once and stop. I'd also like to be able to do this and set up what I would call a temporary set of "queued playlists" so that when I'm on the road it would play through a couple of operas in sequence and thereby last me between fuel stops. Then there's the fidelity problem. And the trickiness of operating music controls while driving.

Mattb

I'll check out copilot thanks! Been wanting to visit Whidbey Island ever since seeing Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz visit there.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
PS. I have heard that the copilot maps are not up to date for places like whidbey island

Top Bottom