Applied the 3M protector on my bike today - wanna see?

AmericanRecluse

My first attempt was disastrous, but after watching the install videos, having all the tools at-the-ready, and practicing with some test materials, I went to work again. When the first area got covered (the top of the tank) I got more comfortable with the material and made quick work of the sides. It's really tough stuff, and I'm satisfied with the results.

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/album.php?albumid=428

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That looks really good! Pretty bike, too. Shame it's so slow. :)

OP
OP

AmericanRecluse

Originally it was silver, rode it so fast the paint peeled off and revealed it's true color. :nanner1:

Marker

You did a great job. I did a few areas on mine including where you have to push on the saddlebags to close it "properly", on the top/front of the saddlebags where I tend to drag my feet, and on the fender tip as well.

Wish my install was as good as yours.

OP
OP

AmericanRecluse

You did a great job.
Thank you very much! I forgot to mention that I used a Rubbermaid spatula as my squeegee -- that should explain the third picture. It worked great on the contoured shape.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Looks great. I had thought of using the stuff on the lower half of the panniers along the leading edge to protect from stone chips.

Marker

I wish I had done the top of my tank as well. I washed the bike this morning (In Florida) and found a deep gouge in the top of the tank. Have no idea how it got there. If I had the protector on it would not have happened. Oh well.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Looks great. I had that stuff on my last car and it kept the hood and headlights protected for 10 years. Not a single chip in the paint from rocks or bugs after 10 years. Good stuff.

I see that your pockets and other black plastics look a little grey. You could make them look better than new with a coat of Plastidip. I have a thread on here about it. It is a rubberized non-permenant "paint". You can peel it off if you don't like it. My Plastidip has held up great.

OP
OP

AmericanRecluse

The grey on the pockets is residue from the wax overspray, looks pretty bad in the pic but I've since hit it liberally with some ArmorAll. I'll definitely check out the Plastidip, however. Sounds great! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom