Arizona Mini Tour

Bike
2010 Red NT700
SO the weather back east isn't improving. I've settled on a 3 day tour of AZ

Day 1: Depart Dallas after work on Friday, ride to Abilene for a headstart (I've decided to try not to ride more than 350 miles a day on this trip)

Day 2: Abilene to Van Horn TX

Day 3: Van Horn to Safford,AZ..

Day 4:: Ride AZ191, the 'Western Dragon' AKA 'The Devil's Highway' from back in the day when it was the 6th spur off of 66, i.e. Hwy 666 460-odd curves in about 60 miles...elevations up to 9,000 ft
Ride South to north out of Morenci, home of the largest open pit copper mine in the history of the universe
Overnight in Show Low

Day 5: Show Low to Globe to Payson and up thru Happy Jack to overnight in Flagstaff

Day 6: Flagstaff to Wickenburg via Sedona, Jerome and Prescott via 89A

Then ride til I get tired and plan my return trip from a cozy room somewhere south and east of Phoenix?
Take Thu and Fri and maybe part of Sat to get home

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Night 3 in Safford,AZ
The road in from Lordsburg to Safford was fun
Perfect weather so far
Excited to ride north up 191. I've read a new review that claims 530 curves between Morenci and Alpine. This is my 2nd trip so I know whats coming

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
So on Monday I set out to ride 191 out of Safford, AZ up thru the mining town of Morenci, which is where the open pit copper mine is. I was last there 5 years ago, and either the mining company or the AZ DOT has widened and modernized the road leading up and out of the mine. The mine goes on for miles. Once you leave the mine the real ride begins. At first I was having buyer's remorse for repeating the ride, because the first half hour is extremely tight and scary...without guard rails. Any lapse in concentration or judgement will be severely and instantly punished. Looking back, the scary part was scarier than I remember. But the fun and beautiful parts were more fun and more beautiful than I remember as well.
After 30-40 minutes the curves loosen a bit to be still twisty and challenging but one can now establish a rhythm and ride more aggressively if you desire. After another 30 40 minutes you transition into a miles long series of highway speed sweepers in a chain of beautiful high altitude meadows and pastures.(loose cattle for most of the ride, though I never encountered any livestock that day) Lots of 30-40 minute stints due to the tightness of the road...most of the ride was in 2nd and 3rd gear.
After a while you come back into rhythmic and manageable fun twisties that last quite a while. Then the road opens once again as you ride towards Hannagan Meadow. Most of that area had either suffered forest fires or prescribed burns since my last visit. All the understory was clean and tidy and the tall pines were scorched up the sides, but still hardy. I saw many parts of AZ that were like that.
As I rode into Alpine AZ, the temps began to drop into the high 40s low 50s. I started to make my way westward to Show Low. About a mile north of Alpine is what I would guess is a park road (249) that was just a delight. It was non stop entertaining curves thru park land and cattle country at both medium and highway speeds. Two lanes with fresh new asphalt...like butter. I followed that road on to 260 and made my way into Show Low. Every part of Monday's ride was interesting if not breathtaking at times

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That sounds great, Clay! Wish I could get my bike out of the garage. Hope I can on Friday morning, when it's due at the Honda shop to have its stuttering and missing addressed!

Top Bottom