Article about CHT and EGT

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
This is from my EAA magazine. Interesting article about Cyl head temp and Exaust gas Temp.
artilce 1 s.jpg

Note the two right pics of the engine instruments. The verticle bars are EGT. Say about 1200-1400 F. The horizontal bars are CHT, 6 cyl. air cooled engine. 375 f. Now in the right photo, the pilot is in cruise running normal lean. THEN he turns off one mag/ignition , running on just one plug....and some of the EGTs go up into the yellow at 1600F.
article 2.jpg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
More than half of the hard earned cash you spent your money on for fuel is heating up the great outdoors.
Just like an incadesent light bulb. There have been attemps to recover the lost heat but they have failed the cost/benefit equation.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Smokey Yunick tried for YEARS to invent an engine that retained the heat but not melt down or seize. It's called adiabatic cooling.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Smokey Yunick tried for YEARS to invent an engine that retained the heat but not melt down or seize. It's called adiabatic cooling.
All I had seen was ways to use the heat to make motion. Power recovery turbines on the exhaust of a Connie. Three to an engine.
1705079823418.png

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I remember when those Connie’s were new.
We are a very consumptive society. It costs money to travel unless you’re riding a horse. If you are riding a horse it will likely cost more (unless you make your own hay and do your own farrier work). It costs more money yet if you travel fast.

My son drives a big diesel truck 20 miles onto a big lake plowing snow while towing a 7,000# fish house which he heats with propane in order to catch a sew fish. Glad I don’t have to pay his bills.

I figure I costs me about $40 per day for gas, $35 per day for camping/hotel, and $25 per day for food to travel on my motorcycle. So I plan on $100 per day to allow for tolls and extras. But of course that’s all money well spent. I’ve often wondered how much it costs to ride a BMW, sleep in good motels, and eat in nice restaurants. Not that much more I suppose.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If you want to see a Constellation, there's one parked on the north end of the airport on the west side of I-135. They're getting rare.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In the early to mid 1950s, the Lockheed Constellation was THE coast-to-coast airliner + many of the overseas routes were serviced by the Connie.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I remember it was TWA's flagship but they got caught with their pants down when Delta, United et al went with the Boeing 707 or the Douglas DC8. Lockheed took a big hit too which kept them out of the commercial jet business until the L1011.

Top Bottom