[How To] Auxiliary Light Mount Design

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The NT is a bit challenging when it comes to mounting auxiliary lights like the Denalis, Clearwaters, or other driving / fog lights high up on the fairing.

After fighting with a jury rigged set up on the "nose" of my NT I used to mount my Clearwater Kristas I finally gave up. I drew up a design loosely based on Andy's mount for his Denalis as described in this Thread.

The attached drawings were created in MS Visio and then saved as a .pdf file. I have attached two drawing, one with a 12 inch light bar, and the second with a 14 inch light bar. The 12 inch is for use with Denalis or other smaller lights. The 14 inch is for use with Kristas or other larger diameter lights. I specified a heavier 3/8 inch thickness in the 14 inch version due to the increased weight of the Krista lights. This bar could also be used to mount a set of Hella SuperTone Horns or other accessories.

I have mocked it up, using cardboard, and had no fitment problems. It is designed to mount the same way Andy used with his mount in to the plastic below the headlight. Anyone who wants to use the attached templates is welcome to do so...or modify it for your usage! Maybe we can get MCL to tweak it and start making them...:D

I turned the 14 inch drawing in to a local machine shop and they are CNC'ing me a mount out of a single piece of 3/8 Aluminum for about $120 :eek1:. I will post pictures when it is delivered.

Disclaimer: I make no guarantee as to the legality, usage, suitability, or the fitness of the designs or the mounts they portray. Use it at your own risk...

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I saw those, Katherine also did a mirror mount for her Denalis but they are too high for what I wanted. I want / need mine below or level with the headlights not only to be legal but to get the maximum effect of my Clearwater Krista lights. Since the Kristas have a high beam and low beam configuration I want to maximize the combined lighting...without attracting undue attention from the local police...

elizilla

I considered setting mine below the mirrors but I didn't want to obscure my turn signals. I might relocate them using this other mount, at some point. But so far I haven't had any imperial entanglements, and no one's flashing their brights, so it's a low priority change.

Fourvalve

How about a picture or 3 of the light bar on the bike?
Thanks!

Fourvalve

Hi!
Did you ever post pictures of the light bar on the bike?

Texx

Bump - waiting to see Wayne's pics. Also - did anyone else use the Rigid Industries LED's like Silverdevil ? I am curious which model to price out and if their mounting kits are worthwhile.

=)

bicyclist

Colin, take a look at this site:

http://stores.advmonster.com/StoreFront.bok

I have a couple of his model 30 lights on my Versys and I'm pleased with them. He's sold a ton of lights to adventure riders.

I haven't looked at his site since last year and I notice he has some new stuff. Gotta give it a second look. I expect that he'll be at the Georgia Mountain Rally and may go home with some more of my cash.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Somewhere, deeply buried in my poorly filed photos, I think I have a couple pictures. I'll start digging again and see if I have any....

CommuterNT

I used some Rigid Industries single floods on the tip over wings. I now have the Denali D2's on the tipover wings. This single floods were nice and bright, they definately gave a nice bright flood pattern and to check the bushes. If you are looking for something to light up a path infront of your headlight I would go with the spots. I still have the Rigid Indistries and have been toying with mounting them up high with some sort of mirror mount and puting a amber lense cover on them...we'll see.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V #1188
Using the information from this post and others (http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?449-Installing-Denali-LED-Driving-Lights) here are some picts of the mount that I had made for me. It was cut on a CNC machine from a single piece of aluminum and coated with a black spray enamel. The installation was easy and fit like a glove. I purchased the Denali D2's and also installed a FZ1 Fuse box and a switch (3 button) from wingstuff (All components listed and previously used by members within these posting).

So what did I do differently? Nothing.

I configured my wiring so that the Denali's are always on (low) and I control the High setting on the Wingstuff switch.

IMG_20130505_194202.jpg
IMG_20130505_234208.jpg
IMG_20130505_191208.jpg
IMG_20130505_192137.jpg
IMG_20130505_194153.jpg
IMG_20130505_194153.jpg
IMG_20130505_194716.jpg

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Michael, that's a very nice looking mount. I'd bet you could sell some of those. Good job!

Top Bottom