Award Request for Phil Tarman, Kawasaki Concour, 100,000 miles

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I rode my 2nd 1999 Kawasaki Concours 52,000 miles.

NT and Connie 7.jpg

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Phil, the Kawasaki is a brilliant bike but I reckon the NT is far better looking, IMHO.
I did think about buying a Kawa (known as the GTR here) but the cost of AU$30,000 put me off quick smart.

Macka

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I did think about buying a Kawa (known as the GTR here) but the cost of AU$30,000 put me off quick smart.
Whoa! That would have put me off, too. I paid $7200 for my first one when it was brand new. They were listed at $7,999 then. My 2nd one had 45,000 miles on it when I paid $3500 for it.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
As a rough generalisation, motorcycles cost about 50% more here than over there.
We all grumble about it but can't do anything about it.
I have bought a few parts from Partzilla and even with our poor exchange rate and freight they will land here for about half what I would pay from a Dealer here.
You guys live in a consumer's heaven due to your market size and competition.
Your food, housing, fuel, vehicles and clothing are all CHEAP compared to here.
Like most of our British friends we have to spend wisely but even they have the advantage of European suppliers to improve competition.

Macka

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Whoa! That would have put me off, too. I paid $7200 for my first one when it was brand new. They were listed at $7,999 then. My 2nd one had 45,000 miles on it when I paid $3500 for it.
Those were the days!!!
I paid $6,100 for a brand new '01 Connie that was still in the showroom in the fall of '03. They wanted it gone.
The downside is that I fought fuel problems with that bike for years because it sat in the showroom so long.
Crud in the fuel system caused fuel valve failures X3 and then plugged the needle valve in #1 carb.
When they both leaked at the same time fuel flowed into the cylinder which caused hydorlock which bent the connecting rod.
That was the Concours equivelant of the NT pannier latches. The fuel valves failed.
That engine blew up at about 36,000 miles. I got a salvage engine from eBay for $500 which ran better than the original.
I haven't owned a carburated motorcycle since.

Last edited:
Top Bottom