Axamax's Throttle Position Sensor's Low Voltage Condition

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Axamax from the UK had the same Throttle Position Indicator Low Voltage condition that I had, indicated by 8 short blinks of the PGM-FI light. I told him that my dealer had replaced the voltage regulator/rectifier, the TPI sensor, and (later) the plug caps. I got this PM from him today, which made me realize that even though Honda doesn't import all the accessories that the UK has, there are still some advantages to being a US customer:

Replaced the regulator/rectifier a couple of weeks ago. It improved the problem but did not cure it. I have just found out that the Throttle Position Sensor is available separately. A friend in Macedonia had same problems and when they wouldn't tell him what they were replacing (under warranty for him), he took pictures of the part and the box (with part number)
The US price for the part , listed as Motor Assembly on the microfiche, is approx $48 . The UK price approx $150.
I'll order it from the USA I think.

By the way the throttle bodies are approx $1690 in the UK. ($522 in the US)

elizilla

Things cost more over there. When I had friends from the UK visit here, they acted like the whole USA was one huge half-price sale.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Axamax from the UK had the same Throttle Position Indicator Low Voltage condition that I had, indicated by 8 short blinks of the PGM-FI light. I told him that my dealer had replaced the voltage regulator/rectifier, the TPI sensor, and (later) the plug caps. I got this PM from him today, which made me realize that even though Honda doesn't import all the accessories that the UK has, there are still some advantages to being a US customer:

Replaced the regulator/rectifier a couple of weeks ago. It improved the problem but did not cure it. I have just found out that the Throttle Position Sensor is available separately. A friend in Macedonia had same problems and when they wouldn't tell him what they were replacing (under warranty for him), he took pictures of the part and the box (with part number)
The US price for the part , listed as Motor Assembly on the microfiche, is approx $48 . The UK price approx $150.
I'll order it from the USA I think.

By the way the throttle bodies are approx $1690 in the UK. ($522 in the US)

Is he referring to the idle air control motor or the throttle position sensor? It is my understanding that the TPS is not serviceable as a separate part and if it shoots craps you have to replace the whole throttle body assy which is quite pricey.

Mike

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You may be right. I thought my dealer had replaced the TPS, but I probably thought that because it was was they said had caused the problem. I know they replaced the regulator/rectifier.

Last edited:
Hi all, Finally had my TPS replaced last weekend. My friendly local mechanic did it for ?30. Took him about an hour. It was held in place by security torx screws with a pin in the middle of them. All I can say is the bike has NEVER run as well as it does now. Even when it was new. Was the TPS faulty from new??
Fuel consumption has improved dramatically too. From 33 mp(US)g to 44mp(US)g. It tends to get ridden hard.

I know where I'll be getting parts in future..

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
My sister lives in Austria and I can't believe what she pays for stuff there. She pays almost $10 US for a gallon of Petrol. She likes motorcycles and rides an ancient Velocette Thruxton, which she keeps in mint condition. She sends me a clothing wish list from an LL Bean catalog and I end up putting a package together for her and her husband. I think that I like it here just fine.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I've always wondered why they called them 'security torx bolts' when you can go to any tool truck and buy the socket to take them off. :confused:
Paul, I guess that the likelihood of a thief carrying such a tool would be slim. I have those bolts on my license plate, but it is only because I had them and they were Stainless Steel. Rusty license plate bolts are one of my "Hate to work on items". Worked for a car dealership too long.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I've always wondered why they called them 'security torx bolts' when you can go to any tool truck and buy the socket to take them off. :confused:
The standard torx heads are becoming so common that they now developed one with a pin in the middle so you will now need to get a whole new set of drivers to remove them.

Top Bottom