Axle and Axle Nut????

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So I thought I was a Half Decent Mechanic. I find out I am a Half *** Mechanic. As I am reviewing the post of the "Removing Rear Wheel" Thread, of Coyote Cris, I keep coming back to his picture of the torque wrench on the axle nut. Something does not sit right. His axle nut is on the right side of the bike. Hmmm? Interesting. I go and look at my axle nut. It is on the left side of the bike. Hmmm? What is wrong with this picture. I go look in the service manual and sure enough, the Axle pulls out from the left which means the nut should be on the right, (Exhaust side). My NT700 is backwards. I have ridden 2k miles with the axle in backwards. Should not make a difference but it is not correct. Now I ask, How can I make such a bad mistake? My ST1300 rear drive is the exact opposite than the NT700. I did remove the exhaust when I R&R'd the rear wheel last time, Thus I was able to slide the axle in the wrong (right) side.

All those years of working on the ST13 I have gotten the NT and ST confused. Need to finish up the ST and get it off the lift so I can redo the NT axle position. That means I have to remove the exhaust to get the axle out.

Good Grief Charlie Brown.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Hey, I've seen professional mechanics forget to put the nut on..... This so called mistake is just one of those things that work either way and I'm sure if it was a real issue you would have caught it. It's good to know the axle works either way.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Because it does seem to worm both ways, I'd say leave it alone until the next scheduled wheel change.

OTOH, I probably would change it. Things, even though working well, that are not quite right, "bother" me. My wife tells me I am a little too anal for my own good. I tell her that I resemble that remark. :)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The first time I removed the rear wheel (Feb 2010) to make sure the splines had adequate Moly 60, I did give thought to reversing the direction of the axle to make the nut easily accessible to a socket on a torque wrench but never did.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Now I have to go look at mine. See what you've started.
I know when I did mine I had the exhaust completely off, but I don't remember how I put it back together.
I do know I don't trust myself. Checking up on me is good idea.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I think Honda got it wrong and you fixed it.

No, Honda got it right. With the axle in my way, slid in from the right one can not get it out with out removing the exhaust. With the axle put in correctly one can remove the axle with out removing the exhaust. Which would be good on a roadside Wheel R&R. The torquing of the axle nut is not so critical in a Roadside repair. Or as Coyote Cris has proven, with the proper tools one can torque the axle nut on the right side correctly with out removing exhaust. Soooo Honda had it correct. Now if we talk about design and ease of maintenance. That is another story.

Eather way I look at it, I will have to pull the exhaust to correct my BoBo.:shrug2:

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Chuck, if you show me a mechanic who hasn't screwed up on something simple some where in his mechanical life I will show one that has never done anything!

John, LOL about what you your wife tells you; I had a WAF Capt for a maintenance officer when I was working as the QC inspecter. I was sending quite a few vehicles back because the were not right and was creating a heavy maintenance back log, she called me in and chewed me out calling me a G. D. Perfectionsist! we discussed the whole situation and She had a meeting with the shop section NCOIC's and told them to slow down a little and take time to check their peoples work BEFORE sending the vehicles to the ready line for e to check. I move into another position and the guy who took the QC position made me look like a real nice guy.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Chuck, if you show me a mechanic who hasn't screwed up on something simple some where in his mechanical life I will show one that has never done anything!

John, LOL about what you your wife tells you; I had a WAF Capt for a maintenance officer when I was working as the QC inspecter. I was sending quite a few vehicles back because the were not right and was creating a heavy maintenance back log, she called me in and chewed me out calling me a G. D. Perfectionist! we discussed the whole situation and She had a meeting with the shop section NCOIC's and told them to slow down a little and take time to check their peoples work BEFORE sending the vehicles to the ready line for e to check. I move into another position and the guy who took the QC position made me look like a real nice guy.

Top Bottom