Back In The Saddle Again (If only for a Demo ride)

One of the advantages of living in the Orlando area is the AIMexpo that comes to town every Oct. And for the first time Honda showed up big time with many different machines for demo rides. I showed up early and snagged a ride on the CB500X. At Bike week in March I was able to do a demo ride on the FJ-09 (my first ride since my wreck). Now is was the CB500X's turn and it fit me to a T. Of course it needs a bigger windscreen and a bunch of other farkles but the basic platform was what I was looking for. I had no trouble flat footing, I rode in an upright position, the seat felt good (half hour ride), plenty of zip, 6 speeds and 300 mile range (oh, and a 430 lb weight.) There was certainly no top heavy feel to it. From what I have read, it will do 80mph all day on the slab and also do forest service roads, etc. There is an amazing amount of farkles made specifically for the bike and I already have the farkles I want to use picked out. It's fairly cheap as you can pick up a 2013 model for about $4K. Of course it is not in the same league as the NT in the areas of weather protection, storage, shaft driven, power, etc. The expo itself was great and I spent most of afternoon walking the isles and talking to vendors. It was amazing the number of Chinese companies that were represented. There was a special section for FREE motorcycle parking and I walked through it a bit and saw one other NT there (FL plates). I didn't really see any new models that would take the place of the NT (mid-size tourer with shaft drive). All in all I had a great time. And I certainly enjoyed riding again.

Wendell

tawilke46

Glad to see you are getting the urge to get back into riding again Wendell. I too looked at the CB500X as a possible eventual replacement for my Wee. About 100lbs less than the NT and not as top heavy as the Wee. 300 mile range certainly sounds good too. Like that.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm glad you're easing back into riding, Wendell! Great news! A colleague who had bought my 2nd '99 Concours after I bought my NT in 210 told me that he hadn't been riding the Connie because it just felt too big. He's planning on selling the Connie and has bought a CB500 (I don't know which one) and is really enjoying it. I've been thinking about what I'll do on that sad day in the future when my NT goes belly-up. The NC700X and the CB500X are high on my list.

What kind of farkles do you have picked out?

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Glad to hear you're riding....anything.

I've ridden my CB500XA about 2000 miles, and a few of those miles were on dirt roads. It's easy, smooth, & comfortable. I can't comment on 80mph, haven't had a place or need to ride that fast yet. Rode it for at least 5 hours a couple of days with no unmanageable complaints. The fuel range & mpg are amazing considering the performance.

I've added Givi hard bags, fuzeblock, usb power supply, gps, & centerstand. The stock shield work well for me so far.

Wendell glad to here you are looking, the CB500 is a great little bike. Dan, I was on the interstate with mine yesterday it will go 80 very easily. Phil next time you come up you can take it for a ride. jim

Wendell, after your crash, I'm delighted that you're seriously considering riding again. This is encouraging to the rest of us. Keep us posted please on what you are doing. Sounds like a great bike.

terry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Jim, I may ride up that way just to get that test ride! I'll keep you posted. What day next week would work?

Phil, Friday and Saturday are my days off either would be fine. The rest of the week I do not go to work in town till 2PM so I can make sure I am around if I know about when you are coming.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'll be in touch with you when (and if) I can come. My wife's in Salt Lake now and she flies home on Friday, so it won't be this week. It'll depend on the weather next week.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Glad to see you are riding and looking again, Wendel. As far as I can tell, there really is no equivalent to the NT.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A good friend and also experienced motorcyclist bought a CB500F 5-6 months ago and loves it. He's not in the crowd that loves big windshields and side bags so it's perfect for him.

bicyclist

Jim, I may ride up that way just to get that test ride!
OK Phil, your assignment is to get out on the slab and drone for 500 miles at 75 mph to see how it does.

Most of where I want to ride is at least a couple of days away and I seem to spend a lot of time doing those 5 or 600 mile drones. I need a bike capable of that.

Or, maybe I should change my approach. Maybe I should buy a Transit van, load something like a CB500 in the back and drive in comfort to where I want to ride for a few days.

OP
OP
wphillips007
Thanks all for your support and encouragement. I'm making progress on my recovery but just not as fast as I would like. I've done a number of 50 mile bicycle rides and last week rode 50 miles to the coast, camped and then rode back the next day. My camping gear and bike were all perfect but my endurance was still not what I wanted. I did the 50 miles a day fine, but just didn't feel that I had more than that in me just yet. I'm trying to work up to a century and then do the Key West run but I'm not there yet. However, the little CB500X was so light and stable that I had zero issues with it. I'm not sure if anyone has done a SS1K on one but I don't see why not. So who knows..........maybe next year I'll take the plunge.

Wendell

OP
OP
wphillips007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU6pHOCHAEg&feature=iv&src_vid=XDksrL4zRQE&annotation_id=annotation_3585944311

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcdDYWfJ-_Y

Here are a couple of video's of the capability of the CB500X with the Rally Raid off road suspension added. Not that I would be interested in going off road to that degree but I would consider their level 1 kit - which is a big step up from stock. Phil, you asked about the farkles I would add and it would really just be the normal additional lights, storage, horn, etc.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
That's excellent news Wendell, keep up the good work and don't push it any faster than you're comfortable with.

Top Bottom