Back Of The Dragon (Tazewell VA to Marion VA)

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hi Folks,

This weekend I took a long ride that included the Back of the Dragon, which is Route 16, running north/south between Marion, VA and Tazewell, VA. It is 32 miles long, contains 438 curves, and a change in elevation of 3500 feet. It was a technically difficult road, with many steep hairpin turns, drops, decreasing radius curves, and other fun features. The NT700V was a great bike to ride on it. I saw lots of Harley "baggers", whose side cases had been shaved at their bottoms, and tons of sports bikes burbling and whining. It is definitely worth the ride if you are in the area.

BOTD-DH-4464_8-7-2022_10.32.AM.jpg
BOTD-KO-2896_8-7-2022_11.19.AM.jpg
BOTD-DH-4470_8-7-2022_10.32.AM.jpg

Last edited:

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Glad you enjoyed it. Definitely a great road. Leaving WV southward, this is my usual route. Rt.16, from St. Marys, WV through our state is called "The Trail of Dragons" and it leads right into Tazewell, VA for more fun across the "Back of the Dragon". A great add onto that is to keep going on Rt.16 toward Mouth Of Wilson and at Volney take Rt.58 (The Python) west to Damascus, VA. If staying down in that area there are a couple loops to do. However if travelling, I love to go south of Damascus on Rt. 91 "North" (actually northwest) toward Bristol. I ride it at least to the Holston Valley area and then go north or south from there before getting into Bristol. There are many roads in the area of Tazewell to keep you busy for a few days so great area to spend a few.

Top Bottom