Bad Vibrations

Hank From NM

Hey, Guys;
I've owned my 2010 NT for a little over a year now, and she seems to run fine. The engine vibration seems to have reduced as I put on miles (a little over 10000 now), but there is s 'bad vibration' happening in the 'tupperware'. It seems to vibrate worst at idle and gets worse as I increase RPM's but disappears around 4500. It seems to be in front of me so one day, I fired her up and let her idle while I felt around in the area of the gauge cluster. I found that that strip of plastic at the bottom of the gauge cluster is the culprit. It's at the point right beneath the gauges where the plastic is fairly thin and is not supported by anything. I'm thinking of gluing or riveting on a thin strip of metal in order to stiffen it. I'm not sure if this will work.
So my question is...Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, what did you do to remedy it?? Any help or advice would definitely be appreciated!
Thanks!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank S.
Albuq, NM
2010 NT700V, 'Lil'Putt:turtle:

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I am unfamiliar with an NT, but is it possible to put some silicone seal between the plastic and whatever it is vibrating against?

tawilke46

I had a very similar problem on my '98 Pacific Coast after a dealer adjusted the headset bearing. Suspect the mechanic did not know the removal sequence or method of removing all the tupperware. If you bought the bike used, someone may have had that part of the bike apart and did not reassemble correctly.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I sometimes hear strange noises emanating from the Tupperwear's right side but I wouldn't call them a vibration because I don't feel them in the grips or footpegs. In regards to fixing your dash panel noise, you might try to secure it with some Gorilla Tape so it can be easily undone if you find it doesn't solve the noise.

bicyclist

Yeah, I wouldn't try to reinforce it with metal, I'd put something relatively soft between it and what it's vibrating against.

My solution to noises is just to wear earplugs.

Top Bottom