bag lid latches

slowtrot

I was out playing in the gravel the other day and did a 40 mph get off. First time in years of careful riding. No broken or bent mechanicals. Some broken plastic parts but no broken me. Not a scratch or even roughed up GOCs (get off clothes). I really like the NT700va bike but aggressive gravel riding and a faired road bike are probably not a good idea. But I did not buy it to give it a home. At any rate I got to take the bags off and look at the latch devices. Now I know why they dont work so good. They are complicated little buggers with cable activators. They are unpolished stamped metal and at the factory they were coated with gobs of heavy grease. Road grunge will then accumulate on that grease and stick. The grit will make the triggers bind and not function. If you have that problem, take off the bags, remove the assembly and wash the the grit off with a solvent and use some oil rather than grease. I have done a little polishing on mine and now they are behaving themselves.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Sorry about the drop but good no damage to you. Latch problems have been the number one issue for me and my NT. I was camping at a Blue Grass Festival when the latch first refused to close on my trip home. I must have futzed around for over an hour, a panicked hour, before getting it to close again. It's happened again a half dozen times, usually when I try to cram too much stuff into my slim lids(no I'm not going big). I'm getting pretty good at fixing, but it's good to have some thoughts on a more long term correction. Thanks.

Raycad

As I wrote before, why not install external latches (like the ST1100 or the Concours) and remove or disable the cable latches? Maybe not so pretty, but probably much, much safer to prevent accidental opening and no need to fish for the key every and each time a bag has to be opened. But it's just me....

Ray

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
As I wrote before, why not install external latches (like the ST1100 or the Concours) and remove or disable the cable latches? Maybe not so pretty, but probably much, much safer to prevent accidental opening and no need to fish for the key every and each time a bag has to be opened. But it's just me....

Ray
This is how I delt with that issue.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Since it's the same key as ignition, can't someone in the know, fish it out of the luggage lock and insert in ignition and drive off?
No, as the lengths are different. The ignition has the same tumblers but is longer and needs to insert deeper into the lock than eather the glove box or panniers. I use the panner key to also open the gas lid.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was out playing in the gravel the other day and did a 40 mph get off. First time in years of careful riding. No broken or bent mechanicals. Some broken plastic parts but no broken me.

Like we used to say in the bicycle business (slightly changed for motorcycles): "Flesh and blood heals; Honda doesn't." But Honda can be insured and Honda can't die. Glad you weren't hurt.

Just out of curiosity, what broke?

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I thought your idea for the "key ina' cap" looked like a good idea, so I rigged up a couple at work and they have been sitting on my desk, while the goop dries, and waiting for good weather to ride to work. Everyone that walks by, stops and looks at them, and asks "what in world are you doing to those those keys?"
I have come up with some pretty smart- aleck answers, because they don't seem to believe the real answer.
Thanks for the idea!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I'll just get some of the external latches. I don't like relying on the plastic 'lips' to keep the lids shut, especially when I cram stuff in there.

About six months ago my panniers wouldn't close. I took the bike to the dealer, with the panniers duct taped up) to see what was going on. The plastic part that holds the tension on the cable broke off and the latch had no way to open. They replaced in under warranty.

Jim

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thank you all for warning about this potential issue. I plan on making an extra key, so in case the key gets stuck in the bag lock, I still have one more to put in the ignition to get home.
I also plan on putting velcro on the soft luggage and on the inside of the panniers so that if the lid opens while riding, there is a better chance for the bags to stay put. What do you think?

freezingalaskan

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Thank you all for warning about this potential issue. I plan on making an extra key, so in case the key gets stuck in the bag lock, I still have one more to put in the ignition to get home.
I also plan on putting velcro on the soft luggage and on the inside of the panniers so that if the lid opens while riding, there is a better chance for the bags to stay put. What do you think?

freezingalaskan
Overkill to me the bags stay shut if they are closed properly to start. They are just a bit more fiddly than I would like but they work if you give them a chance. Mine work better now than when the bike was new. You can argue that the bike or me got broken in but they work and I use them every day when I ride to work or play. Deliberate handling rather than extraordinary measures.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Mine seem to be getting better with use as well or I have just leaned the technique

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mine came open one windy day as I was riding to Denver. I didn't realize it until I stopped at the doctor's office 80 miles from home. Nobody on the interstate had waved at me, including a church member who passed me about 15 miles after I left here. I asked him later if the bag had been opened when he passed me. In the bag, I had my unused folding cane, a bill, a checkbook, and a paperback book. Everything was still there, unrumpled and apparently comfortable when I found the bag open. On curves, an open left bag gets within 2-3" of the pavement.

I think it would break before it would cause a crash, but it's a slightly scary deal. I have had no more trouble with mine since the dealer did an adjustment.

Bike
Silver NT700V
My bag lids were getting "balky" a week or so back. I though "oh no, the dreaded bag latch issue." I did notice that I had gotten somewhat sloppy with closing them. The lids seem to flex a bit when you don't push them staight and that is enough to make the latches fail to catch. Now I make sure to place my thumbs over the two prongs and press straight in. No troubles so far.

keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

elizilla

Slamming the lids doesn't work well at all. The latches catch nicely if you just push the lid gently closed.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Attached Images
SAM_0449.jpg (67.8 KB, 73 views)
SAM_0483.jpg (54.6 KB, 60 views)
SAM_0450.jpg (60.1 KB, 56 views)
SAM_0451.jpg (77.7 KB, 48 views)
Chuck, I'm ready to try this. Did you have a "how to" post on how you did this?

Top Bottom