Balance Rear Wheel question

The cone on my wheel balancer axle is not able to seat on the drive spline side. It is seating on the wabley axle parts further inside the wheel hub. Does anyone know a way to seat it to the inside surface of the spline cup. OR-- is there any other ways to use the balance shaft. thanks

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Two weeks ago I balanced my NT's rear wheel after having a new tire fitted. I have an inexpensive, No-Mar balancer. On the drive side of the wheel, I always remove the damper plate/driven spline. Once that is removed from the wheel you can remove the tapered cup that acts as an axle guide and is giving you so much trouble.

With that gone you have one wheel bearing on each side that the tapered cones can seat into. Simple!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just solved my own problem by placing a 30mm socket that fit in the spline inner diameter and sliding my cone into the open side of the socket. Everything was snog and spun smoothly.

OP
OP
Two weeks ago I balanced my NT's rear wheel after having a new tire fitted. I have an inexpensive, No-Bar balancer. On the drive side of the wheel, I always remove the damper plate/driven spline. Once that is removed from the wheel you can remove the tapered cup that acts as an axle guide and is giving you so much trouble.

With that gone you have one wheel bearing on each side that the tapered cones can seat into. Simple!
Read what I did and tell me your opinion. I seems to be alternate to your method.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
As Macka said "...just pull it." :) The drive plate fits tightly into the 5 rubber dampers so it's also a good time to take a look at those parts. To remove it requires no tools.

I wouldn't trust the 30 mm socket method because you're fitting it into a piece that is anchored in the rubber dampers and the only thing that keeps it square when installed in the bike is the axle nut being tight. When it's off the bike, it can easily be less than square.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I am finding the spyder/spline difficult to budge, won't pull out of the rubbers. Do you have any tips when this happens. Thanks

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
just pry it "straight out". there are aluminum inserts in the rubbers. they may be worn some, and you might have to replace them if holes are elongated

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I used a short tire tire and alternately pried one side then the other until it lifted free.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I balance mine as Dirtflier said. It seems the drive plate on mine was pretty tight and a little hard to remove when it was newer. It is looser now and the next tire change I may replace the dampers.

Brad

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Since the fine art of wheel/tire balancing has always eluded me, I opted for the ceramic tire balancing beads at my last tire change. I am impressed with their performance so far and they are reusable. Am I the only one using them? Is there a downside I'm not aware of?

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I have used Dyna Beads to balance every tire I own for several years. I have not found a downside. Always perfectly balanced, even my E350 van with a slightly bent wheel

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...the fine art of wheel/tire balancing has always eluded me..." Fieroguy

It requires one's lower jaw to be just a little bit askew to the left and tongue out and to the right. Weight should be mostly on the left leg and it helps if you're wearing clean socks & undies. :)

All kidding aside, spin the wheel on the balancing fixture and it will stop at the heavy spot which is normally at the tire valve, then you start adding weight 180-degrees opposite in small increments. I put a piece of masking tape at 12 0'clock so I'll know where to add weight. Spin the wheel slowly and see where it stops and keep adding weight as necessary. When the wheel stops at a different place each time it is spun, it is balanced.

I had a new Pilot Road 5 installed on my NT's rear wheel a few weeks ago and it only took one 1/4 oz weight to get it balanced! I was amazed because I've had a few times where I had to add so much lead that I thought the rear wheel would be classified as an EPA Super Fund clean-up site.

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Since the fine art of wheel/tire balancing has always eluded me, I opted for the ceramic tire balancing beads at my last tire change. I am impressed with their performance so far and they are reusable. Am I the only one using them? Is there a downside I'm not aware of?
I don't use beads, never have. but from the Spyder forum, dyna beads can attract moisture and clump up and make balancing out of round for a while or permanent. but your use of ceramic beads might be different than dyna

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I typically add "Ride-On" tire sealant after I've installed a new tire. It also has some balancing capabilities but I wouldn't rely on it solely to balance a wheel.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I don't use beads, never have. but from the Spyder forum, dyna beads can attract moisture and clump up and make balancing out of round for a while or permanent. but your use of ceramic beads might be different than dyna
dyna beads are ceramic. Never had any issue at all in any vehicle I've used them in. I have heard of off roaders who have used sand and that has a tendency to clump. My van tires are about worn out after 60k miles or so and have never had any balance issue with the beads in that time. Using a tire sealant would cause a problem though. YMMV of course, but I have used them in about six vehicles totaling about 200k miles and never had an issue. always perfect balance.

Top Bottom