Battery Tender Jr

Bike
2011 Black NT700
If I connect a Battery Tender Jr to my bike battery for winter storage, to I need to remove the terminal cables? It is my understanding that it will reset my trip odometers.
Thanks, Clint

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Clint,

I have never disconnected the battery cables unless I'm removing the battery to store and charge it in a warmer spot. Since you are in a "chilly" area ;) you may want to consider that option if the bike is going to sit for an extended period.

slider

I just leave mine plugged in in the garage. Why would I disconnect the cables?

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Somewhat confusing question here. The simple answer is the battery cables do not need to be disconnected while the charger is connected and operating or to start/stop it operating.

These things come with adapters you can install and just leave in place. Connecting/disconnecting then is done with the SAE connector that's part of the adapter. If you install this adapter you will need to disconnect the battery cables for that activity only. Just the one time. If you don't want your counters to reset you could try using jumpers with alligator connectors to keep them connected while you fiddle with the battery bolts. I've had mixed success with this technique.

When I installed the adapter on my '13 FJR I didn't worry about it and found that disconnecting the cables for the short time it took to install the battery tender adapter did not cause anything to reset. I figure there's a capacitor in the MFD to prevent short-duration disconnects and momentary voltage dips from causing this annoyance. But the NT will reset.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mine stays connected to a BT Jr. for several days at a time. Other than when I installed the SAE adaptor, nothing's ever reset.

Another advantage to using that SAE adaptor is that you can also use it as a plug to power a compressor to maintain tire pressures.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I bought an adapter that goes from the gerbring/warm&safe connection to SAE. This way I have one plug that goes to the battery (the one that came with the heated jacket/gloves/pants). I also have a common motorcycle air pump that uses SAE connector. I use the SAE to gerbring adapter when cold with the batter tender jr, and take it with me on trips with the air pump. This is very nice way to charge the battery or use the tire pump without doing anything special. You don't even need to remove the seat.

Bike
choosing
I have not been able to ride because of surgery. I am clear for takeoff now.
My bike has been on my Battery Tender for about three weeks now.
I have been meaning to disconnect it, but "what the heck". I have not done
so. I have never had anything reset, of course I do not remove the battery
cables either. I may leave it connected until after the holidays. Then again,
I may actually ride the thing before that.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
BTW, if you have a fuzeblock or similar device you can attach at SAE adapter to a "always hot" terminal set and connect your battery tender that way.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I leave mine connected to the Battery Tender whenever I'm not riding. This includes several months over the winter. When I disconnect to go riding, I put the cap on and stuff the end into the hollow spot of the passenger footpeg. Seems to work just fine.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I use the cable for my heated clothes to connect the tender when I use it. Everything stays hooked up and no problems caused by that that I can see. Still running the original battery.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
My battery tender is hooked up whenever I am not riding the bike. I am still on the original battery. I plugged mine in a few weeks ago, and it will stay plugged in till spring.

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
Well, since Santa didn't bring me one, I bought a Battery Tender Jr myself. But, here's the funny thing. I could have paid $39 at my local Walmart or go to Walmart.com pay $23 and have it shipped free to the store. Go figure.
Happy New Year, Clint

radbrad1

I have a cheapie battery charger that I use. I have a power outlet from the battery on my 88 honda hawk 650GT and use a christmas light timer that is set to turn on the charger 15 minutes day. That way I don't overcharge and don't forget to charge the battery during low usage. My batteries have last over 8 years. I have heard that some people use the power outlet from their garage door operner light to charge their battery .

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Anyone have trouble with their battery tenders? Mine went south and I had to replace it. I went with the BT Jr. to replace the old larger tender.
I attempted a repair when I saw a swollen up capacitor inside, but the problem was deeper than that so I bought new.

Brad

Top Bottom