Battery Terminal Orientation

Bike
Looking for NT700
I think I’m losing my mind.My original battery died after 8 faithfull years of trouble free service.So I remove the battery and off I go to the not so local Honda Dealer,turn in the old battery and pick up the new.Go to put in the new battery and notice that the terminals are reversed.To clarify,if you’re standing on the left side of the bike facing the right side....the original batterys positive terminal was on the right side of the battery (or,on the lowest point of incline).Both terminals closest to you on the left side of the bike.Placing the new battery in on the same orientation resulted in the Negative terminal being on the right(lowest point)side of the battery.The Positive cable just BARELY reaches the terminal post on the right side(lowest point)and NO WAY would reach the Positive Terminal on the Left end of the battery.
What gives?Am I losing my mind?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Relax. Take a deep breath. The battery probably fits. I've done the same thing. Try rotating the battery. Hold the battery so that the positive terminal is on your right and the negative is on your right on the side of the battery that's facing you. Then move the terminal clamps so that they're on top of the battery and you should be in business.

If it doesn't fit exactly, they gave you the wrong battery. The original seems to be an odd case size. It should fit the hole perfectly--if it doesn't, they subbed what they had that would fit.

OP
OP
Bike
Looking for NT700
Thanks to those who responded.I only had time to do a quick check this morning and without totally dropping the battery in on its side and reoriented as Phil suggested it looks like it will fit just right and with the terminals properly oriented!!
It just never occured to me to mount the battery sideways.....feel kinda dumb right now.
Anyways,many thanks guys.....your help is always much appreciated!!!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
When I replaced mine just a couple weeks ago, I ordered a Yuasa OEM battery from Amazon. I still had my old battery in the bike when the new one came. I pulled out the old one and said, "hey, this thing is actually on its side.....no wonder it's an AGM battery...." (absorbed glass mat....it's sealed) Since you mentioned taking the old one out and swapping it at the dealer, in the back of my mind I was thinking you probably just didn't notice the orientation.......you didn't have the old one there to compare it to. If I were in your situation, I would have expected that the 'cap' of the battery would be up, too, like every other lead-acid battery I've ever seen.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
That battery orientation has fooled lots of people, including the "technician" at my local Honda dealer. I bought my NT new from the local dealer and when I went to pick it up they didn't have it ready - of course. I watched from the doorway while they were un-crating the bike and preparing it. I watched them try to put the battery in vertically for 10 minutes when finally 3 of them got together and figured out that it went in sideways.

Then they were showing me how the bike operated and slammed the pannier lids multiple times - hard - trying to close them. I'm sure my pannier lids were broken when I took it home, fault of the dealer. For over a year I thought the pannier lids were just "putzy" when, in fact, they were borken.

Lots of Honda dealers don't know much about NTs.

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Thanks everybody for this post it will be very helpful when time to change my battery. I did think it looked kinda strange.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thanks to those who responded.I only had time to do a quick check this morning and without totally dropping the battery in on its side and reoriented as Phil suggested it looks like it will fit just right and with the terminals properly oriented!!
It just never occured to me to mount the battery sideways.....feel kinda dumb right now.
Anyways,many thanks guys.....your help is always much appreciated!!!
That's OK, we all have pretty much done the same thing and when the realization finally hits you, you feel like slapping yourself up side the head and saying "you dumb****"! It's a similar feeling that one gets when he realizes that he has just had a stove fuel cocktail... sorry, couldn't he'p myself.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...It's a similar feeling that one gets when he realizes that he has just had a stove fuel cocktail...Mike]

That one's gotten so much positive press that bars near the campground are serving a "Phil Cocktail." :rofl1:

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The battery on the NT has an odd orientation when compared to may other bikes.

I hope this image helps.

Top Bottom