Be glad you own an NT!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
It is now that time of year to do less riding and more tree felling...15 so far....(..Just got back from a skating event in Vegas and I am cleaning up my bikes for their intermittant off season use. Cleaned and adjusted both chains.
7800 miles on the VFR and 11,480 on the XT. Still a few good riding days left.....)
a nt.jpg
Masks are a pain when traveling and attending an event but necessary. Here is my friend AC who lives in Vegas showing off her Shoma Uno (Japanese skater) sportswear...she is a big fan and skates as well....
It was good to get away from Spokane and see friends for a change....like going to Spearfish....Havent seen these friends in 2 years.....saw about 20.
a ac fan.jpg

And here I was expecting a sinking Pirate ship!
a ship.jpg

... I am cleaning up my bikes for their intermittant off season use. Cleaned and adjusted both chains...
Riding >500km/300miles per day when on tour I just can't imagine having to fumble with a spray-can of chain lube every evening... not to mention the mess this leaves everywhere in proximity...

Long distance riders have learned to use chain drive bikes on their jaunts and it isn't as bad as you make it sound.

I have one bike with shaft drive and one with chain drive. It only takes about 15-20 min in the afternoon to clean/lube the chain. Manufacturers obviously don't think shaft drive is a major selling point because they keep making bikes with chain drive. :)

My guess is that devices such as the original Scott Oiler have gone out of favor and part of that is due to modern O-ring chains being a lot more durable and less maintenance intensive.

My guess is that devices such as the original Scott Oiler have gone out of favor and part of that is due to modern O-ring chains being a lot more durable and less maintenance intensive.
A friend's SO got an NC750X and the first thing he installed on her bike was an automatic oiler... quite a struggle, there isn't much space for fitment either...

On my 2013 NC700XD that I bought used with under 1000 miles on the odometer, the standard chain lasted 20k+ miles with only cleaning/lubing with WD-40. I can't gripe about that so going a step further and fitting a chain oiler seems unnecessary to me. :)

It is now that time of year to do less riding and more tree felling...15 so far....(..Just got back from a skating event in Vegas and I am cleaning up my bikes for their intermittant off season use. Cleaned and adjusted both chains.
7800 miles on the VFR and 11,480 on the XT. Still a few good riding days left.....)
View attachment 18629

I just got back this morning from a long weekend riding, and I just parked the NT. And I'll just get onto it next time I want to ride it.

After such a trip with my CB500X, I'd have to find the latex gloves, the old rags, the WD-40, the chain lube and then check the chain adjustment. And hope that I don't stain my riding pants in the process.

Instead, I'm sitting here with a hot cup of coffee and enjoying the beautiful day. I sold the CB500X for just this reason.

Modern chains are great. I'll spray the chain once a day during a trip the mileage doesn't matter 100 miles or 1100 miles.

I spray the chain and wipe it off. It's more about keeping the chain clean than it is about soaking it w/lube... the O/X ring chains don't really need it. I have very minimal lube on my wheels and it's so minimal I can just wipe it off. The auto oilers are crazy when it comes with how much gets slung off onto the bike/wheel/frame etc.

If you only want shaft drive bikes... you're limited to a small number of bikes, very nice bikes. If you consider chain-drive bikes... whoa!... that's a huge selection of some pretty incredible options.

Long distance riders have learned to use chain drive bikes on their jaunts and it isn't as bad as you make it sound.

I have one bike with shaft drive and one with chain drive. It only takes about 15-20 min in the afternoon to clean/lube the chain. Manufacturers obviously don't think shaft drive is a major selling point because they keep making bikes with chain drive. :)
I clean my chains maybe twice a year on my two bikes. It takes about 30 minutes to clean, lube and clean the surrounding area. Maybe I spend too much time on each chain but I like clean. On tour, I put the bike on the centerstand, take out a small can of lube from the tank bag, spin the wheel and spray the Dupont lube. Takes 30 seconds.
Would I like an enclosed chain? Sure. But chains dont seem as obnoxious as they were in 1970.

On my 2013 NC700XD that I bought used with under 1000 miles on the odometer, the standard chain lasted 20k+ miles with only cleaning/lubing with WD-40. I can't gripe about that so going a step further and fitting a chain oiler seems unnecessary to me. :)
With modern lubes like the Dupont system, a drip oiler that makes a mess is not for me.....

Modern chains are great. I'll spray the chain once a day during a trip the mileage doesn't matter 100 miles or 1100 miles.

I spray the chain and wipe it off. It's more about keeping the chain clean than it is about soaking it w/lube... the O/X ring chains don't really need it. I have very minimal lube on my wheels and it's so minimal I can just wipe it off. The auto oilers are crazy when it comes with how much gets slung off onto the bike/wheel/frame etc.

If you only want shaft drive bikes... you're limited to a small number of bikes, very nice bikes. If you consider chain-drive bikes... whoa!... that's a huge selection of some pretty incredible options.
With an intact sealed chain, I am gonna guess the real wear is between a dirty roller exterior surface and the sproket. Many motels have bike rags.....Spay the chain on the center stand, keep rolling the wheel and apply the rag to the top and bottom of the rollers and maybe the sprocket....relube the chain. I bet I dont have to change chains on my two bikes at all but if I do, it will only be once. I still love enclosed chains and shafts.....just not enough to get a bike I dont want with them.

With an intact sealed chain, I am gonna guess the real wear is between a dirty roller exterior surface and the sproket. Many motels have bike rags.....Spay the chain on the center stand, keep rolling the wheel and apply the rag to the top and bottom of the rollers and maybe the sprocket....relube the chain. I bet I dont have to change chains on my two bikes at all but if I do, it will only be once. I still love enclosed chains and shafts.....just not enough to get a bike I dont want with them.
Yup... dirt bikes are the exception but they live in dirty / dusty / muddy environments and are at the other end of the spectrum for most of us street-riders.. even the occasional dirt road isn't going to do much.

One advantage of a chain drive (so far unmentioned) is the ability to change gear ratios. I’m going to gear mine a little higher when I change chain and sprockets. But that will be at 30,000 miles. I’m hoping for a little better fuel economy at higher speeds. I could slow down but I already ride slower than most riders.

JJ - changing the gearing for better fuel economy is not always a guarantee. In some cases, lowering the highway RPM drops the engine out of its best torque band so it may require more throttle to maintain the same speed. And the engineers at the factory who selected the gearing were not dummies. Just a thought... :)

JJ - changing the gearing for better fuel economy is not always a guarantee. In some cases, lowering the highway RPM drops the engine out of its best torque band so it may require more throttle to maintain the same speed. And the engineers at the factory who selected the gearing were not dummies. Just a thought... :)

Exactly!! That is what the Honda engineers did with the NT. Its engine works great from 3500-4000 on up 8000. It doesn't need a 6th gear or regearing.

Back
Top Bottom