Before buying ?

thunder1969 Dk

I have now read the part about problems with final drive spline. how worried should I be in the midst of buying a Nt700va with 0km on the clock. ?
I begin to have little doubt it's the right purchase. But I love the looks and driving on the bike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If the bike is new you shouldn't have any issues and you will have a warranty if you do. Just make sure the final drive spline is properly lubed with Moly 60 at every rear tire change...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
With no moly on the splines, my final drive lasted me another 15,000 miles. Hardly anybody has had trouble. The two I can remember off the top of my head both happened at more than 90,000 miles (145,000km). It's not an issue. These aren't BMWs.

:)

OP
OP

thunder1969 Dk

That was nice to hear. It is of course more attention to the bad stories when sitting and looking at various forums.
Now it just going to be Wednesday:)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
And for many people, 90k miles is a long way away.

FWIW my Guzzi was purchased 6 years ago with 37k miles on it. That was 24 years worth of mileage, a little over 1k a year. In the last 6 years I put over 40k miles on it. So, it is just now nearing 90k miles and it is 31 years old. ;)

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
A new bike is absolutely fine. No worries as our antipodean friends say.

When the tyres are replaced, if it is not done by the Honda dealer, just remind them that Moly 60 must be applied to the rear splines.

I didn't buy the extended warranty and didn't need it. Mine's now over 5 years old and coming up to 100,000 km of mainly city riding. Just the normal servicing has been required so far (apart from accidents, replacement mirror and Big Lids :frown:) - lots of brake pads (and I do mean a lot - approximately every 12,000-18,000 km!) but the average number of tyres - they last longer than the brake pads in a city.

I think she's an excellent all-round bike out of the box (so to speak). Excellent for both commuting and for touring. The only caveat is that it's a good idea to buy the under-cowl, wind deflectors and heated grips if you're an all-weather biker.

Mine's been Main Dealer serviced from day one including tyres. Though I've added one or two electrical items myself like HID low beam, LED position lights, LED Topbox lights and LED fog lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP

thunder1969 Dk

sounds great
I was just worried because. I read about some problems.
Now I am looking forward to get to it.
Bought heat grip, gear indicator, knuckle deflector, honda topbox and honda tank pad,
and now I want to save up for skid marks lower fairing

OP
OP

thunder1969 Dk

Will put some good heat reflective foil in there.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The OEM undercowl doesn't look as sexy as the Skidmarx undercowl, but it sure works well.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[..I have now read the part about problems with final drive spline...]

I'd guess there are a few NTs that may have left the factory in Spain with inadequate lube on the splines but I don't know that for a fact. Wanting to feel comfy about it, I removed the rear wheel and applied Moly 60 to the driven splines when the bike had less than a thousand miles. It was bought new in December 2009 and today is still running fine.

Top Bottom