Bell Transitions SolFX Photochromic Face Shield

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have not but I have Transitions lenses in my glasses and I like them a lot.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
For about the same price as a Revolver Evo plus the shield, the Lazer Monaco Glass is a modular that comes standard with that same face shield

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I have the shield on by Bell RS-1 and love it. I used to hate having to stop and replace my shield when riding from early am to morning or late afternoon to evening. I was afraid it would not be dark enough but it not bad. It could be a little darker but I'll say it's acceptable enough to me to justify the price and I will always look for this as an option on any new helmet. I originally got the Bell because it was the best fitting helmet I found for my head and the shield was just a nice add-on.

It changes pretty fast but so gradual in the change you don't notice it.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Just an update to this.

I've ridden in the rain hundreds of times and some of those were very heavy rain. With a normal shield, either dark or clear, the water would bead off mostly and anything left I could stick my head into the wind stream and have it move the rest out of the way.

I noticed on a daytime rainy day how the Bell Transitions shield did not bead as well and acted a lot like a car windshield where there was a lot of distortion.

Recently, on a long trip, we got caught in a big storm cell in Michigan and it was close to midnight... well, I could not see anything at all.. I have to lift my shield and try to look ahead with just my glasses protecting my eyes but the rain was stinging me and I had to pull over. One of the other riders switched helmets with me as his bike shield had more of a flip and he could peek under the helmet shield without getting hit as much as I was... we were able to get out of that storm cell and switch helmets.

I love that this shield allows you to ride morning-to-daylight-to-afternoon-to night and never have to stop and switch shields but..... I ride in the rain almost every time I'm on a trip and I feel in rainy weather - especially during nighttime, this shield is almost dangerous... again, I've never had this issue with any other helmet or shied. I'll keep it for the short rides when I know weather won't be an issue but I'll have a dark and clear shield in the trunk just in case.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Would using RainX on the face shield have helped with clearing the rain?

I don't believe RainX is "approved" for any helmet visor, but I've been using it for 7 years and not had any issues. But then I don't have a photochomatic face shield either.

Chris
I've never used anything on regular shields and have never had any issues. This one is too expensive to play around with applying rainx.. I know there's a rainx-like product for shields but can't remember the name...

I do like the shield but not for the small percentage of my rides that have rain and since the whole point is to not have to stop and switch shields, this issue negates the whole reason for getting the shield. IMO

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I really got tired of the face shield dance and now only have helmets with the drop down internal sun visors. I have not found to many disadvantages when using them and their convenience is really welcome.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I just use clear shields. Since I must wear glasses (I'm nearsighted, I'd be unsafe at any speed without them) I just add clip on sunglasses to them for sunny days.

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
I really got tired of the face shield dance and now only have helmets with the drop down internal sun visors. I have not found to many disadvantages when using them and their convenience is really welcome.
I think I'll save my money for some other farkle and use the drop down shade. Thanks everyone for your input.
Clint

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I bought a Bell Mag Sena 9 last month and it has a drop down inner shield and and an outer shield. The inner shield is tinted but the clarity is the worst optic I've ever (not!) seen. Everything is distorted and cloudy. There is better clarity in $3 kiddie sunglasses at walmart. Took the inner shield back to the store I bought it and the lady that sold me the helmet looked thru it and let out a "AAAIIIIEEEEE!" which translates from Korean to English as "This is not safe to use!" "AAAAAIIIEEE", I agreed. To look thru the other new Bell Sena Mag9 inner shields I had to peel back the static cling protective wrap (something I didn't do before buying the helmet) and found that the inner shield's clarity problem on my helmet is not an isolated case, that's the way all were. Very disappointing that a helmet manufacturer clearly doesn't ever look their helmets to see if is usable. Make me worry about the quality control with the entire helmet. The replacement tinted inner shield sold separately were just as bad, but the clear ones are OK.

And that will be my last Bell helmet.

Top Bottom