Best place to mount 12v outlet (Powerlet)

rcase13

I have a 12v outlet so I can charge my cell phone and power my GPS. I've seen lots of threads discussing the install. I was wanting opinions on the best place to install it.

I am thinking of putting it on the left hand locking cubbie in the upper right hand side.

I'd love to hear from others before I commit to drilling. :eek1:

If you installed one and later regret the location let me know before I make the same mistake.

Thanks,
Rodney

I just finished putting a waterproof marine cigarette lighter type outlet in the left hand pocket. The only thing you have to be careful of is how far it sticks out below the pocket. It might fit better more toward the center of the pocket but it depends on the connections underneath. Very simple to do and no one else sees it!

I just finished putting a waterproof marine cigarette lighter type outlet in the left hand pocket. The only thing you have to be careful of is how far it sticks out below the pocket. It might fit better more toward the center of the pocket but it depends on the connections underneath. Very simple to do and no one else sees it!

So you mounted the outlet on the bottom (floor) of the pocket? I actually hadn't thought of putting it there.

I have two (12v cigarette and powerlet) in the right pocket. Have to be careful where you put them so they won't interfere with installing and removing the pocket.

I would not put in the bottom as the pockets are not waterproof.

I was thinking of a couple of the marine usb mounted in the "speaker" grills. Have to figure out how to make it look good.

The powerlet is what I use for my heated grip connection right now. I'll permanently wire them in next time I have the tupperware off.

Installed min in right cubbie vs locking left one. Thought was I always take my phone with me if I go inside a restaurant etc and may want to lock something else up Seems to work fine.

I put an outlet in my right fairing pocket. You need a lot of space behind whatever surface you mount it on, so I put it on the front wall of the pocket. I'd have liked to put it higher up, but I had to put it in the middle, just to get room behind it. In practice I found this was a nuisancy spot, because if I plugged something into it, the plug stuck out into the middle of the pocket, and interfered with putting any other stuff in the pocket. Here's a photo.

If I were starting over, I'd get a cig lighter outlet on a cable, and just route the cable into the fairing pocket, and either let the socket flop around in there, or use some zip ties to tie it into a corner, more out of the way.

One spot that fits a panel mount cig lighter plug like it was made for it, though, is in the side case. Just lift the seat and drill from above; there's oodles of space in there. Here's a photo.

Thanks for all the pics. I ended up mounting it in the floor of the pocket. It turns out the GPS plug is so long that the bottom is pretty much the only place it could go. If it rains the Garmin is not waterproof so I would just unplug it and snap the waterproof cover over the outlet. The Powerlet is completely water proof. Time will tell if this was a good spot.

I really agonized over this! Worse case scenario I buy another pocket for $120!! http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/765908-honda-64341-mew-d41zd-hard-parts-pocket-l-cowl-r319m

Attachments

• DSC01907.jpg
    DSC01907.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC01910.jpg
    DSC01910.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC01911.jpg
    DSC01911.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 91
If I can't find a good mount location for a low-profile powerlet in the fairing pocket, I may do something along the lines you were thinking but instead of zipties, I would use velcro. I did something similar when I installed an outlet in the trunk of my Wing.

Attached to the wall:
20100308_CentechAP-1install_0012.jpg

Removed from the wall:
20100308_CentechAP-1install_0010.jpg

I liked the velcro because I could leave it mounted OR remove it from the wall and get a bit more space for plugging in items.

I'll have to see if a low-profile Powerlet outlet (only requires 1" behind the panel) can be mounted in a good spot and still allow the pocket to be installed.
PSO-007_p_141_webl.jpg

I like the powerlet angle plug since it doesn't protrude as far out from the outlet when plugged in. Given the "odd" shape of these pockets (very deep but narrow) I think this type of plug would be ideally suited.

PPL-004_p_134_webl.jpg

I'm just looking to provide some attachments to allow Ipod and phone charging. Thanks for the good ideas.

I put an outlet in my right fairing pocket. You need a lot of space behind whatever surface you mount it on, so I put it on the front wall of the pocket. I'd have liked to put it higher up, but I had to put it in the middle, just to get room behind it. In practice I found this was a nuisancy spot, because if I plugged something into it, the plug stuck out into the middle of the pocket, and interfered with putting any other stuff in the pocket. Here's a photo.

If I were starting over, I'd get a cig lighter outlet on a cable, and just route the cable into the fairing pocket, and either let the socket flop around in there, or use some zip ties to tie it into a corner, more out of the way.

One spot that fits a panel mount cig lighter plug like it was made for it, though, is in the side case. Just lift the seat and drill from above; there's oodles of space in there. Here's a photo.

Motorcycle Larry makes a bar clamp with a powerlet. It looks factory. I had one but I sold it when I sold most of my farkles. All the outlets I have left on my NT, are cig lighters.

I have put the low profile Powerlet outlets on several bikes. They work really well and don't need much space behind the wall at all.

if for some reason you pull the outlet out of the bottom of the pocket you would buy a new pocket for $120????
why not a piece of plastic to cover the hole and glue it down, lot cheaper unless you just have extra money to throw away, if so throw some my way.
after all no one would ever see it if the pocket top is down.

if for some reason you pull the outlet out of the bottom of the pocket you would buy a new pocket for $120????
why not a piece of plastic to cover the hole and glue it down, lot cheaper unless you just have extra money to throw away, if so throw some my way.
after all no one would ever see it if the pocket top is down.

I was just kidding. I have no intention of replacing the pocket. I would just glue a fake floor down to cover it.

So far it's working perfectly. I still have room to put my notebook and pen in the pocket. I washed the bike and sprayed the pocket hard. Not a drop of water got in.

I bought one of those Powerlet angle plugs last year and had planned to use it for the end of my electric vest heat-troller. After taking it apart and starting the process, I discovered the thick insulation on the wires prevent it from fitting into the cutouts in the angle plug, so I'm still using the normal straight plug. Such is life... :-(

I washed the bike and sprayed the pocket hard. Not a drop of water got in.

Wait until you ride in heavy rain. I put a square of velcro on the wall of the pocket and stuck the MP3 player to that, and it kept it dry enough. But a little water does get into the bottom of the pockets. That is why there are drain holes.

I finally got around to installing a fuse block and relay for my 12v outlet. Now my NAV turns on and off with the bike.

Total cost for the relay and fuse block was $15. I have 5 spare slots that are also fused and switched. I meant to get the 4 fuse holder but mistakenly ordered the 6. Oh well I have more than enough for future electrical farkles. It's held on with Velcro.

I tapped the license plate light for the relay using a Posi-Tap (it's protected from high voltage from relay by a diode).

DSC01912.jpg

DSC01926-1.jpg

Here are some pictures of a Burms Moto mounted on the riser. I have a MCL riser and top bridge. The bridge has 2 Ram balls and a powerlet. The Burns Moto USB power supply is run from a Fuzeblock (it is switched/keyed) under the seat, and is tie wrapped to the riser. It can power either my GPS or phone, one at a time.

1st shows it powering GPS, 2nd is rider view with only GPS, 3rd is with the Burn Moto capped (rain), 4th powering an HTC phone. I rode in a steady 3 hour rain and the GPS started cutting out, so I removed the GPS, capped the GPS, waiting an hour after the rain stopped and it still all works. Now if it rains for more than an hour I just put it all away. Pretty slick, easy, removable, cheap, multifunctional, and hidden.

Attachments

• IMG_0812[1].jpg
    IMG_0812[1].jpg
    48 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0813[1].jpg
    IMG_0813[1].jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0817[1].jpg
    IMG_0817[1].jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0820[1].jpg
    IMG_0820[1].jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 46
Nice and sano! I have the Burns Moto USB port sitting here on my desk, waiting to go on the Super10, and I have one of those RAM mounts. I might have to copy this idea. :)

I have a 12v outlet so I can charge my cell phone and power my GPS. I've seen lots of threads discussing the install. I was wanting opinions on the best place to install it.

I am thinking of putting it on the left hand locking cubbie in the upper right hand side.

I'd love to hear from others before I commit to drilling. :eek1:

If you installed one and later regret the location let me know before I make the same mistake.

Thanks,
Rodney

Here is my post where I showed how I did mine.

I am happy with it here, and as you will see, I used the locking cubbie as you are thinking.

I used 2 O-rings to insure that it sealed properly.

The thing that scared me most was drilling and possibly cracking the lid, I bought a tool at Home Depot (there is a picture) and had no trouble.

Hope this helps.

Christian, Nice mounting. I spent plenty hours trying to find a good mount location also, there really aren't many options. I also wanted to minimize all the extra usb cabling, out of keys way, and it must not interfere with steering. Agreed that the pocket mount would look great, but would have required another hidden connector (that could possibly become intermittent), and it would be pulling & pushing cable on every turn. The IDEAL 5VDC USB power supply would be one that could be mounted under the seat out of the elements and then just have a cable running to the handlebars, gps & phone, but I've yet to find that setup. So the next best was the Burns Moto solution. I know my zip tie mount isn't for everyone, but it seems solid after 6000 miles and is mostly hidden. It also offered a straight shot for the USB cable between the GPS & BurnsMoto USB connection. I carry a few extra zip ties in my tool bag just in case. Together with the Ram Mount and the retractable USB ribbon cable, it's been pretty flawless so far. Neither my GPS or Phone are weather proof, so if it rains for an extended period, I put it in the side pocket and cap the power supply....not a huge inconvience yet. I'm sure you will like yours.

I epoxied the Burn Moto Power Supply plastic mount shown in your pictures to make my phone cradle, added a Ram ball, Custom!;)

Back
Top Bottom