Best place to mount 12v outlet (Powerlet)

I was checking out the backside of my RAM mount, to try to copy Christian's setup, but where I have it on the Super10 there isn't enough room for the USB outlet on the other side. Oh well, it's still elegant and I'll remember it for the future.

My other concern about the Burns Moto unit is the waterproofing. Not when the cap is on and it's not in use - when the cap is off and the GPS is plugged into it. I currently plug my GPS into a cig lighter plug and that gets wet too, but is is built such that it can drain, and the positive/negative poles are far enough apart that water can't bridge them. I fear the smaller USB socket will not drain, or will not drain well enough, and a water droplet would short it. There's a good spot next to the brake master cylinder but it would be aimed upward and I don't want to aim it upward, because of water. I will just have to keep thinking about this.

I fear the smaller USB socket will not drain, or will not drain well enough, and a water droplet would short it.
FWIW, Burns Moto website says "Contains a built in automatic fuse that resets itself."

Mine points up, and may collect rain if parked, but when riding the air seems to lift the rain out & up on the NT around the forks. Put an oring around the USB cable may be a simple fix. My non-waterproof GPS got wet & started blinking out once after a lot of rain at 60-70mph for ~5 hours. Not perfect, but after 5 hours riding in the rain, I'm just happy to have dry feet.

Back
Top Bottom