Best price (with shipping) on motorcycle tires

Igo

So, in your experiences, who has the best price (with shipping) on motorcycle tires?
From advice here on the forum I'm going to price any and all of the 3:

• Avon Storm II

• Bridgestone BT-023

• Michelin PR-2 or (PR-3 if available)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Igo,

Don't forget you have a local option, Cycle Gear, with has two locations in Vegas. I have found them to be very competitive with the "web only" companies...

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
www.ronayers.com always seems to have good prices. Since I don't do my own tires, I usually print off a page from ronayers.com and take it to my dealer and tell them if they can match the price they can have my business, and they always do. Others swear by www.denniskirk.com, but I've never actually used them myself.

elizilla

Dennis Kirk is rarely competitive on tires - they just price match the companies that are, and they tend to actually HAVE the tires.

Lately I have been buying tires from Iron Pony in Westerville OH, because they are close to the lowest prices, they will mount and balance for $12, and they're open on Sundays. It's cheap and convenient to just ride down there, take a wheel off in their parking lot, and shop while they put on a new tire.

bicyclist

I like SWMoto because of the free shipping and good service. I mount my own tires.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Two Brothers Tires, http://www.twobrotherstires.com/ is where I exclusively buy tires at this point. Its a small, family owned business and one of them is an ST rider and very active on the ST forum.

I typically find the price very competitive, their shipping network is amazingly fast- here in Houston I usually get my tires the next business day without paying anything extra. If your order is over a certain dollar amount (I cant remember, but its essentially the break between 1 and 2 tires) shipping is free.

You can call up Tim or his brother and talk to him if you have any questions. Between the price, the service, and knowing that I'm supporting a small business of motorcycle enthusiasts I dont look anywhere else for tires.

#1 one on Two Brothers. I just ordered a PR3 for the rear of my ST and a PR2 for the front from them. Since Blain sold off South West Motto tires I have switched to Two Brothers and I really like someone who I can talk with personally. http://www.twobrotherstires.com/

Last edited:
OP
OP

Igo

Igo,

Don't forget you have a local option, Cycle Gear, with has two locations in Vegas. I have found them to be very competitive with the "web only" companies...
Ah yes, that's right. And we have Motorcycle Tire Center that has been here for 40 years too.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Dennis Kirk doesn't have the lowest prices, but as I recall their shipping was cheaper so they're close. And as Katherine pointed out they have a large inventory. I change my own tires. I built a home made 2x4 bead breaker that works like a charm. Tire irons and dyna beads. Not hard with practice and here on Long Island I save lots of money.

OP
OP

Igo

I work so many hours a week so I'm not going to start changing tires. I'll look at Dennis Kirk asap. Thank you.

elizilla

They're a good vendor to have in your phone book when you're traveling, too. Anything you order before 8pm ships the same day, so when you absolutely gotta have it, you can have it the next day. Which is good when you're three day's ride from home and you're stranded because you had a blowout and the local dealer doesn't have a tire for you. Or you snapped your clutch lever, or whatever. They have the things there in their own warehouse, instead of waiting for you to order something and then getting it from their vendors.

OP
OP

Igo

They're a good vendor to have in your phone book when you're traveling, too. Anything you order before 8pm ships the same day, so when you absolutely gotta have it, you can have it the next day. Which is good when you're three day's ride from home and you're stranded because you had a blowout and the local dealer doesn't have a tire for you. Or you snapped your clutch lever, or whatever. They have the things there in their own warehouse, instead of waiting for you to order something and then getting it from their vendors.
Very good advise. I was just thinking about on-the-road support since I'm going to travel allot. My insurance company covers all farkles and ride gear but they do not offer roadside assistance at all.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
My insurance company covers all farkles and ride gear but they do not offer roadside assistance at all.
AAA... Get the roadside / towing support and the AAA discount at hotels, for us non-campers, pays for the annual membership fee... Plus free customized maps. One really nice thing about AAA is you are covered, not the vehicle, so if a friends car needs towed you can have it towed on your membership as long as you are along for the ride...

OP
OP

Igo

That is a good idea for out here in the desert. How much do they run a year?

OP
OP

Igo

I just ordered a set of the Michelin Pilot Road 3. Of all the reviews, there was not one bad word said about them.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That is a good idea for out here in the desert. How much do they run a year?
Prices / services vary by region... I pay $42 annually in the Southeast Region. Check with your local AAA, and make sure you specify motorcycle coverage....

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I just ordered a set of the Michelin Pilot Road 3.
I run Michelin tires on all my "cages" as soon as the OEM rim protectors need replaced, if not sooner. The PR3 are number one on my NT tire replacement list... Post a Review when you get them installed!

OP
OP

Igo

Thank you for the AAA info as well.
I don't need tires yet but I have a road trip at the end of April and another at the end of May. The OEM tires at 3000 are just showing square and I hope to make the first road trip with them. I will certainly do a review as soon as I have enough data to report. More than anything, I am looking for miles.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I just ordered a set of the Michelin Pilot Road 3. Of all the reviews, there was not one bad word said about them.

I haven't seen a review which talks about durability. The Brit-bike mag "Bike" says that they are extraordinary in the wet and superb in the dry and make it their new benchmark tire just ahead of the Dunlop Roadsmart and the Bridgestone BT-023. But they don't know yet about durability. Same with the other test I saw (can't remember where) that had put 800 miles on them so far.

Interestingly, the Avon Storm 2 Ultras that so many people like didn't do well at all in Bike's test.

The way you're putting on miles, you should know before it gets hot out there if it'll last 12,000 miles or not.

OP
OP

Igo

A new tire is a gamble but Rick and I will take a bullet for the team.

Top Bottom