Black Ice

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
Morning commute last Thursday, I hit the edge of a puddle and we soon lying on my side watching my beautiful NT700 sliding into the oncoming lane. My gear did great but the bike slide on its right side for a good 150 yards. Insurance estimate provides ~$3600 ($6 shy of it being totalled). Is there any way to post my GoPro video of the incident for others to learn? It was too large to send as an attachment on email, so I have a link of some sort to a cloud something-or-other. Here's the link.
https://tjuv-my.sharepoint.com/personal/cxs129_jefferson_edu/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx?id=/personal/cxs129_jefferson_edu/Documents/Attachments/12-27-18_Black_Ice___Slide_1[1].mp4&parent=/personal/cxs129_jefferson_edu/Documents/Attachments&slrid=00d4b29e-80bf-7000-6cba-0916f755f763

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Glad you are OK. It is a shame of the bike damage but if you ended up damaged those bills would be much higher.
Bikes can be repaired/replaced.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Cameron, like Brad said, we're really glad you're OK. I've never hit dry ice, but did ride about 30 miles on a lightly snow covered icy interstate. There wasn't anywhere to get off between Chugwater, WY, and the north edge of Cheyenne, where the ice and snow finally went away. It was scary! I tried to use your link, but it wanted me to sign-in to my account.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
You can always get more stuff, you are harder to replace.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Glade you okay, when I broke 5 ribs and ankle the NT had $2500 damage. I used J-B weld to fix when was cracked and bent a few parts back to correct position. I use truck bed liner on the bags, and replace the rubber tip triangles. I could of replace the parts like the estimate, the bikes for riding not showing. You have to look careful to see the few scrapes. I figures it not a BMW or H-D, so no one will even look my way. On the bags I use J-B and Credit old cards cut in strips to reinforce the cracks. I'm old and cheap: looks good enough and functions just fine with a little scratch here the there.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Miairhead, tell me more about using the truck bed liner on the bags.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I use this stuff. I did not seal the can well the last time, and most of the vehicle harden. So I open the bottom with can opener and used a putty knife to spread a ~1/8" film the bottom of the case. It looks 'good enough for me'. I going to get another can and do the other side to make them kind of match. I just used a foam brush before I careless did not see the top. It has particles so the finish in not smooth, and seem very hard.
https://www.amazon.com/Herculiner-HCL1B8-Brush-Bed-Liner/dp/B0002TDUXS?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0002TDUW4&th=1

OP
OP
Bike
'10 Silver NT700
Quick follow up. Had the LBS do the necessary repairs to get it road-worthy again, but passed on the cosmetic stuff. Since the insurance payment went to the LBS, I have a significant credit with them for future work. Ordered replacement pants, Gerbin heated gloves and dual controller, boots and Nolan N100-5 helmet. Still have plenty of credit remaining for future tires and any other services I'll need. They said it's good even with another bike, which may actually come in handy since my 25-year-old daughter just earned her motorcycle license on Sunday and is now looking for a 2-wheeler of her own. Life is good!

Bike
2011 NT, 2014 FJR
Kudos regarding your attitude--"Life is good". I'd be in a dither about getting my bike trashed. You have my admiration and respect.

Top Bottom