Black Lids on a Maroon NT?

Bike
2010 Maroon NT 700
The plastic piece that the metal latch screws into in one of my lids, is broken. I assume the only fix for that is to buy a new lid. Since I have to buy 1 new lid I was thinking of replacing both lids with the larger lids in black. Has anyone put black lids on a maroon NT? Was thinking that might look better since the lids do make the bike look a little fat from the rear. If anyone has done this I'd love to see pictures. Also, can you fit a full face helmet in the larger lids?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ken, I really like the bedliner finish, too. Was it a spray-can finish? If so, I wish I'd used that instead of the satin black.

I personally think the black panniers look better than a body color finish. To me, they give the bike more of a classic sport-touring appearance (like the classic Concours C-10 and BMW RTs) and veer away from the "scooter" look.

And, yes, you can put a full-face helmet in the left pannier if you've got big lids. It would fit in the right ones (I think) but the muffler keeps that side from opening far enough.

kenstone

I can't decide whether the bedliner adds or detracts from the scooter look.
I did it to mask the scatches/gouges from my boot eyelets, and knew more would be coming.
I seem to always forget to allow for the panniers on my 1st dismount, after riding another bike, when switching back to the NT:eek:.
The bedliner spray is way easier to touch up too:)
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I think the bedliner makes the NT look less "scooterish". Most scooters have a single color look and your bedliner breaks that up nicely.....

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Lm77. You might be able to epoxy that broken plastic piece back on. Others have done so. You might try that before purchasing a new lid.

tawilke46

Ken, the black finish you did looks really great. Much better than I would have imagined. In fact the NT looks good with black bags.

kenstone

Thanks for all the positive comments on the bedliner panniers.
I could never get a surface prep'ed good enough for paint, never found rattle can paint to be very durable, and use bedliner to update older bikes that have mostly silver stuff.
Things like lower fork legs, swingarms, instrument cans, triple trees that become dinged/nicked/etc can be sprayed and recede into the backround of the look of a bike.

Before Blackout

Same bike model after

I have yet to try it on wheels though
Ken

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Maroon NT 700
Thanks to all, especially Ken for the pics. I'm not crazy with the matte black finish but it could be that I'm not used to it. I'll stare at the pics for the next few days and see if I feel the same once I'm used to it. I do think the black will make my NT less scooter looking. You all are awesome!

YKnot

Can we get some more pics of the bike with the bedliner?

I just got some decent large lids, but they are darker than my bike and scratched. I am in debate between bedliner and Plasti-Dip. Consistency of bedliner applications seems to vary greatly.

kenstone

The best bedliner spray I've found is Dupli-color I bought at NAPA
Rustoleum can be found in the automotive dept at Walmart, and like any rattle can paint, can be wiped off with Laquer thinner, without harming the stock paint underneath.
Walmart has quarts and gallons too, and it's what I used on my trailer deck, with a quart going a long way.
Here's a few that I've posted before, not much more to see

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Has anyone put black lids on a maroon NT?
RedBird
Has (had) large black lids on his maroon 2010. The metallic black ones. Looks OK. I saw it in person last summer.
He rides an FJR now, but if you could find him you might get a pic from him

kenstone

it's rattle can Dupli-color

You mentioned plastic-cote and I fooled with that when it became all the rage.

I was freshening a tired old too RED mc and wanted to black out some of the red and tried some plastic spray but didn't like the results.
It was soft, finger nail scratchable, and hard to keep clean/looking good.

Here's pics, with the plastic test on the yellow fairing:

Bedliner on the too RED stuff

Lm77: sorry for the thread jack

Ken

YKnot

RedBird
Has (had) large black lids on his maroon 2010. The metallic black ones. Looks OK. I saw it in person last summer.
He rides an FJR now, but if you could find him you might get a pic from him
I actually have those lids now. I picked them up from RedBird earlier this month. They aren't really black, but more of a gunmetal color. However, they are pretty heavily scratched. I think I will be doing the bedliner on them - hopefully tonight.

kenstone, thanks for the pictures.

-mark

Bike
2010 Red NT700
tually have those lids now. I picked them up from RedBird earlier this month. They aren't really black, but more of a gunmetal color. However, they are pretty heavily scratched. I think I will be doing the bedliner on them - hopefully tonight.
Thats right!
I completely forgot they were grey

YKnot

We need pics
Sure thing. I will be putting them back on the bike tonight. So, I should have pics after that.

...probably start a separate thread for that. We are kinda hogging LM77's thread...

-mark

Top Bottom