BMW F800GT - $5000 Off

Chris, thanks. I may go back to to Ride West in Lake City and see what they are doing. It would be hard after putting on the helibars and the new tires on the NT.

terry

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Ohhhhhh........ now I see....... you have been tempted over to the dark side and now you are trying to get others over there with you....... that's how it always starts....... "get thee behind me Satan!"

:well1:

Mike

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Nothing would ever tempt me to by a BMW.
Their maintenace cost is TOO high and they like to lock you into the Dealer network.
On the F800GT the Service Indicator can only be reset by a Dealer or by an expensive aftermarket electronic tool.
Many of you may already know that you cannot even replace a battery on a late model BMW car without "telling" the system that you have done so with a scanner.
If you do not it will not charge the new battery corectly.
"R" and "K" Series models often have very expensive ABS Modulator failures just out of warranty that cost almost as much as the bike is worth.
Switch and water pump failures are still common.
I do not have any faith in "Superior German Technology".
As I have mentioned in another thread, down here in Oz we say that BMW stands for "Bring More Wallets".
Just my thoughts though.

I do have a close friend who loves his 1100GSs of which he has two and a half. (No water pumps or ABS here)
His outfit (sidecar unit) HAS done nearly 400,oookm BUT, it has had two secondhand engines, two gearbox rebuilds and three reco diffs as well as numerous electrical failures and switch replacements.
He has had to have the bike freighted home hundreds of kilometres a couple of times due to a breakdown (gearbox or diff) on a long trip.
On the 18th of this month we are heading off on a 5 day 2400km camping trip together.
He is happy to have me riding with him because it means that he has a mechanic with him.

Macka

Last edited:
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Twice I have tried to reply to this thread. One with a very long one that timed-out and seems to have been lost and once a shorter one that also has disappeared.
I wanted to reply to VINTAGE but I am unable to do so.
I will try again another time.

Macka

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Vintage maybe it is your handle. Try and change yours to 'Hipster' or such, this could tell you table your not a old man but a savvy techno.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I am glad to hear that it is not only me who has trouble with posts.
I will try to keep it shorter so it doesn't dissapear into the ethernet.
Sitting around the campfire with fellow riders as I often do we all talk about our bikes.
Many of my fellow campers have BMWs. They love them but most of them seem to have the same problems.
Things like starter motors, switches, gearbox bearings, ABS modulators, water pump seals, swing arm bearings and diffs.
Diffs, for example have been replaced or overhauled 3 times.
I did not want to imply that all models have all problems, just that BMWs seem ro have more recurring problems than most other makes.
On the subject of replacing batteries, I think that it it outrageous that you have to register a new battery before it will be charged by the system.
Similarly with headlamp globes and suspension levelling pumps on AUDIs.

In my workshop I can do all of those things for my customers but I should not have to.

Macka

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I just added an 2015 BMW F800GT to the garage. I have been watching the bike since introduction in 2013. Since I am old, short, short coupled, T-rex arms ... etc, there are few bikes that fit my requirements. YMMV. I found a deal that I couldn't pass up. My view is that the increased cost of parts is offset by a three year warranty vs others one year. I can't get NT parts on hand from any one of the three Honda dealers in town. They order them.

I have ridden the GT twice for 30 miles each. I really like it so far. Break in is harder than one might think, vary speeds and keep revs below 5,000. My early impressions are:

Pros: F800GT vs NT700
GT is 100 lbs lighter, 20-25 more HP, lower CG, 6 speed
Great HP and Torque range, very responsive, belt drive is very smooth
GT is light and easy to move at rest and any speed.
One inch high gear indicator is nice.

Cons:
NT has a better windshield and mirrors seem to have a better field of vision.
NT has better wx protection but GT has better aerodynamics than expected
NT - 5 gal tank vs GT 4 gal (GT is suppose to get better mileage but ... ?)

F800GT - 60 mph - 3400 rpm, 70 mph - 4000 rpm (8,500 rpm max)

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Pretty bike, Frosty! Did you get panniers? And, did you get the $5K off the list price deal that Daboo talked about?

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I will probably look for used BMW Panniers. The bike already has the mounts.
I did not get the deal that Daboo posted ($8,900 for a Reps demo) but not too much more for a brand new one delivered to my house from a dealer in Texas.
I suspect that an East Coast distributor has some excess 2015 units and is quietly trying to move them without upsetting dealers with new ones on the floor. Trick will be to find the dealer that will make that connection.

To paraphrase a Scottish man with both an NT and GT. If you are primarily taking main roads to get to the riding area (Spearfish), take the NT. If you are close to the riding area take the GT (circle WA).

Last edited:
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
It is a nice looking bike but a bit lean in the flanks, like a greyhound.
The NT has a nice rounded rear, which adds weight but I like it!
One of my close friends has an F800 and he loves it.
I understand why that have done it but I would not be happy to have a fuel gauge that only reads the bottom half of the tank, despite the reportedly good economy.
My opinion only.

Macka

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
... I would not be happy to have a fuel gauge that only reads the bottom half of the tank, despite the reportedly good economy.

Macka
I agree. It is a little strange. The bike has an reserve fuel idiot light. It also has a "Distance covered since the fuel reached Reserve" mileage readout. I suppose it gives you something to ponder as you stand with the motorcycle on the side of the road ...

I have never trusted fuel gages (old airplane habit). I use the motorcycle odometer to judge fuel remaining. With fuel pumps in the tank, I like to keep it half full or better if possible.

Frosty, congratulations. Sounds like a great bike. The picture of the bikes from the back reminds me of the line, 'Honey, does this make me look fat?" I go back and forth on this one. The F800 GS really appeals to me, but I just spent about $1000 for the heli bars on my NT. They work great BTW. I wish you and Chris hadn't done this as it brings my my dilemma of what to do. Enjoy.

Terry

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
... And, did you get the $5K off the list price deal that Daboo talked about?
New post from F800Riders

"I don't know if this is a national deal, but a Virginia Dealer and a North Carolina dealer are offering the same discount, so it may be a Mid-Atlantic thing that applies to inventory in BMW's Eastern warehouse (not sure where that is). I'm pretty sure both dealers have the same BMW rep. I was told by both dealers that the bikes would have about 200 miles on them to qualify as a "rep's" bike.

Since the deal only applies to crated bikes in the warehouse (not showroom inventories), it make take 2 weeks or more before I can take possession of my bike."

FROSTY: Sounds like a great deal. If they are crated bikes in the Warehouse, who puts 200 miles on them?

Top Bottom