BMW F800GT - $5000 Off

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
Nothing would ever tempt me to by a BMW.
Their maintenace cost is TOO high and they like to lock you into the Dealer network.
On the F800GT the Service Indicator can only be reset by a Dealer or by an expensive aftermarket electronic tool.
Many of you may already know that you cannot even replace a battery on a late model BMW car without "telling" the system that you have done so with a scanner.
If you do not it will not charge the new battery corectly.
"R" and "K" Series models often have very expensive ABS Modulator failures just out of warranty that cost almost as much as the bike is worth.
Switch and water pump failures are still common.
I do not have any faith in "Superior German Technology".
As I have mentioned in another thread, down here in Oz we say that BMW stands for "Bring More Wallets".
Just my thoughts though.

I do have a close friend who loves his 1100GSs of which he has two and a half. (No water pumps or ABS here)
His outfit (sidecar unit) HAS done nearly 400,oookm BUT, it has had two secondhand engines, two gearbox rebuilds and three reco diffs as well as numerous electrical failures and switch replacements.
He has had to have the bike freighted home hundreds of kilometres a couple of times due to a breakdown (gearbox or diff) on a long trip.
On the 18th of this month we are heading off on a 5 day 2400km camping trip together.
He is happy to have me riding with him because it means that he has a mechanic with him.

Macka
I agree with you. BMW service is very expensive. I had a K13GT with a spotty service history. I did oil changes myself. When I sold it the potential buyers were all looking for complete Service records from a BMW dealership. I ended up selling at near wholsale. Wonderful motorcycle but a little more sophisticated than me.....

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Can one of you that have had your F800Gt for awhile do a short long term review? I sold my Triumph tiger and might be in the market for another touring bike soon. An barely used, like new 2015 F800GT, came up for sale at a local dealer. It will probably sale before I am in a position to purchase it and I have not had the time to go look at it, but I recently found myself trying to be open minded about my next purchase. This used one seems like good price on a bike that might suit me. I should probably stick to my plans and save more money for Super Tenere, but most here appreciate many motorcycles and understand. I do like the concept of this bike.

I am 6"1" with a normal torso, but long legs and long arms. I remember sitting on an older F800ST and didn't quite like the ergonomics. Have the changed the sitting position from the ST? Windscreen buffeting? Is this a bike like a vstrom or tiger 800 that almost "needs" a madstad screen? Do you experience any heat from the engine on warm days?

Thanks

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks Chris. I will have to go sit on it and beg a test ride. I have purchased two bikes from this dealership and they never allowed me to test ride a new one, but since this one is used maybe I can talk them into it. I didn't push the test ride issue before because I knew I was buying the bikes, but I think I better test ride this one before purchasing.

I am not worried about the vibrations. My DR650 is a single and a pretty smooth single, but I notice the vibes the most when highway cruising at 75+. I simply try to keep speeds close to 70mph and be happy. I would be surprised if any of the bmw 800 twins had worse vibrations than the DR.

I did do some research on a couple bmw forums and found that there were owners doing their own maintenance and getting high miles. So this seems to be more economical than the boxers and bigger beemers.

Top Bottom