BMW F800GT a new sport tourer

OP
OP
The one consistent negative report on this bike from magazines and other internet sources is that it is "buzzy" at higher rpms. That has showed up in at least 3 different tests that I have read. I have noticed over the yers that these sources will only make such a comment if they are sure everyone would notice so...forewarned is forewarned.
I am surprised that I can find so far no one offering a larger windscreen. Uncertain what that is about.

bicyclist

They're hard panniers and not very heavy.

I wouldn't call the bike a page out of the NT playbook. Not only is it considerably lighter, it's mass is concentrated lower than the NT's so it feels much lighter. It also handles better and has lots more power. It'll leave an NT for dead on a twisty road. All the while, getting better fuel mileage. The NT does, however, have superior wind protection.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If they haven't solved the buzz in the handlebars from the F800ST then it will be a dead bike.

From a ride report on the F800ST in one of the mags, '...the grip heaters were nice, and would have been better if I had any feeling left in my hands from the buzz in the bars....'

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was pretty excited when BMW announced this bike, but after seeing one and sitting on it, it's not a bike I'd buy. The ergos are better than the F800ST, but still too leaned forward, still too tight a bend in the knees, and it doesn't have much wind/weather protection at all. Reviews have been less than sterling, all mentioning serious buzzing. And since the NT doesn't buzz at all (right, Sam?), that makes it an unacceptable bike.

I talked to a 65-yr-old woman in Limon one day when I was riding down here to Rocky Ford and she loved hers. But I don't think it's for me. I'd like to try a test-ride and the BMW dealer in Ft Collins would probably give me one, but I haven't done it yet.

bicyclist

If they haven't solved the buzz in the handlebars from the F800ST then it will be a dead bike.
They haven't, it's the same engine and chassis. I was able to reduce the vibration on my F800ST, but it was still annoying.

I didn't like the forward lean, so I put higher bars and a higher shield on mine. It was a reasonable, but not great touring bike. It shone on twisty two lane.

If most of my riding weren't long distance, I'd probably still have it. Those bikes have too many issues and I didn't trust it for the long haul. I was afraid I'd be out in the middle of nowhere when the thing had a problem with the nearest dealer 500 miles away.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I wanted thee F800ST really bad when they came out. Studied them and looked a lot.

When it came time to buy it was basically between the Guzzi Norge, Beemer and the NT. At the time there was not any Guzzi warranty service within 400mi so that was out. So, I rode the Beemer. So excited I could hardly stand it. The salesman handed me the keys and said to take it out as long as I wanted.

Rode out of the lot and onto the freeway. Before I reached the next exit my hands were numb. I LOVED the engine, transmission and suspension. I did take it on a few turns but not being able to feel my hands made it a chore. My ride only lasted 30min and I just couldn't take it anymore.

I was so disappointed.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Gotta agree with everyone else...Great ride in the twisties, but not much weather protection, especially for the passenger. My wife hated our ST. Handlebars too low, pegs too high. Dash did a total meltdown at 400 miles - finally got it replaced under warranty, but they weren't happy. Gas mileage was great!. Seemed to really lug alot at low speed. Definitely needs more fairing! Service for mine was going to be $600 for my first service job...sold that baby quick & am now on my second NT.(first one got backed over by a garbage truck)

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
OK, I am slightly confused, but that is how I go through life anyway. :) You say you loved the engine....but your hands became numb very quickly....was the engine creating a high freq. or low freq. buzz worse than the NT's? I don't find the NT or my Connie for that matter what I would call buzzy but my throttle hand has numbed up now for many years no matter what I ride...hence the throttle locks I use....
Chris

I wanted thee F800ST really bad when they came out. Studied them and looked a lot.

When it came time to buy it was basically between the Guzzi Norge, Beemer and the NT. At the time there was not any Guzzi warranty service within 400mi so that was out. So, I rode the Beemer. So excited I could hardly stand it. The salesman handed me the keys and said to take it out as long as I wanted.

Rode out of the lot and onto the freeway. Before I reached the next exit my hands were numb. I LOVED the engine, transmission and suspension. I did take it on a few turns but not being able to feel my hands made it a chore. My ride only lasted 30min and I just couldn't take it anymore.

I was so disappointed.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Numb hands for me usually mean a problem with my gloves and not the bike. Note the use of "usually".

The problem usually stems from your gloves being too tight. Now some bikes can bring on the numbness, due to over-tight gloves and the buzzy nature of the engine, quicker than others.

Having said that, the only times my hands are numb on the NT is when my gloves are too tight or the temperature is below -20C!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The F800ST had a really annoying buzz. Wasn't just me. A couple of magazine reviews noted the problem. One said, '....the grip heaters worked really well, if only I could feel my hands....'

Yes, I loved the engine. It revved willingly and grunted down low. Had plenty of power for such a compact package. FYI, the same engine, detuned about 10hp, is used on the GS model and it feels smoother than the Honda NT. So, what did BMW do different between the two bikes?

Ah Sam. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me my hands were numb from gripping too hard I could buy that K1600GT. I don't use grip heaters because my fingers are usually not touching the grip. I hold throttle position with my palm, rest two fingers on the clutch and brake levers and the other two fingers are curled a bit without touching the grip.

And, yes, my hands will go numb even without any vibrations if I leave them in one position too long (an hour or more).

But, when I get on a bike and it numbs my hands after two miles on an interstate, it is something I don't want to deal with.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I don't have much interest in the F800GT as I am satisfied with my NT but as far as ergos go when I put my measurements into cycle-ergo.com it shows the stock GT being more upright with less knee bend than a stock NT. I have not actually sat on the GT so perhaps the real world result would be different.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Warren, when I sat on one, it didn't feel as comfortable to me as my "tweaked" NT does. It seemed like I was leaning forward farther and had more bend in my knees than I do now. I've got the MCL bar risers and peg lowerers.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
OK, that explains things perfectly. I think I would not enjoy that kind of buzz. I put Lead filled Heli-bars on my Connie and it doesn't buzz much at all! Vibrations are probably an individual thing for tolerance....first time I road a Triumph back in the 1970s, I couldn't believe anyone would tolerate such a pile of ****. When I got my first Yamaha 650 twin, I changed the sprockets to slow the engine at cruising speed and it was fine. But I wonder how I would look at that bike If I rode it today?

The F800ST had a really annoying buzz. Wasn't just me. A couple of magazine reviews noted the problem. One said, '....the grip heaters worked really well, if only I could feel my hands....'

Yes, I loved the engine. It revved willingly and grunted down low. Had plenty of power for such a compact package. FYI, the same engine, detuned about 10hp, is used on the GS model and it feels smoother than the Honda NT. So, what did BMW do different between the two bikes?

Ah Sam. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me my hands were numb from gripping too hard I could buy that K1600GT. I don't use grip heaters because my fingers are usually not touching the grip. I hold throttle position with my palm, rest two fingers on the clutch and brake levers and the other two fingers are curled a bit without touching the grip.

And, yes, my hands will go numb even without any vibrations if I leave them in one position too long (an hour or more).

But, when I get on a bike and it numbs my hands after two miles on an interstate, it is something I don't want to deal with.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Probably the same way I looked at my 1971 Honda. :) It had foam grips to reduce the buzz. And it is a reason I put a throttle lock on evey bike I have owned.

Almost all motorcycles have some vibration felt in the handlebars. Some it is a shake, some a buzz. All are a bit different frequency. Of course the Gold Wing doesn't have any shake or buzz at all in the bars (and it has a real cruise control :) ).

Most of the time we just find a way to live with the bike we choose. The NT had a buzz that was a little uncomfortable, but, not unbearable. The Guzzi has a slightly lower frequency, borders on a shake, especially when going up hill under load. And it is highly dependent on the balancing of the carbs.

The key is whether it is enough on any particular model to keep you from buying it.

I have known a couple of Beemer F800ST owners who LOVED their bikes and toured on them cross country. One still has his and still loves it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
OK, that explains things perfectly. I think I would not enjoy that kind of buzz. I put Lead filled Heli-bars on my Connie and it doesn't buzz much at all! Vibrations are probably an individual thing for tolerance....first time I road a Triumph back in the 1970s, I couldn't believe anyone would tolerate such a pile of ****. When I got my first Yamaha 650 twin, I changed the sprockets to slow the engine at cruising speed and it was fine. But I wonder how I would look at that bike If I rode it today?

If you are used to modern motorcycles I don't think you would like to revisit twins of the past. I recently sold my 1977 XS650 and I can tell you it shakes like the dickens and makes the NT feel vibration free. I am amazed they now sell parallel twins up to 1800CC that are even ridable. Counter balancers are wonderfull things.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Especially when you have an inline twin, I see no reason for there to be any vibration.
I dont know, Chris. Some inline twins (F800GT) are designed to go up and down together as if they were a single. Seems to me that would vibrate.

I think the 'character' Honda is trying to fabricate is achieved thru some kind of convoluted firing sequence or something. I cant remember how they phrased it in the video

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Many in the XS650 community rephrase their motors from 360 deg to 270 deg. This way the pistons are not going up and down together. The 270 deg motor has a firing sequence similar to an 90 deg L twin which has a better primary balance than a 360 or 180 deg twin. The XS650 does not have a counter balancer and the 270 deg phasing helps quell the vibs. Several manufactures offering big twins today,Triumph for one, are now using 270 deg motors to try to simulate the sound of a V twin and give the motor "character".

Last edited:

skiper

I beg to differ - i believe it's a bushel of "hooey" -- and hooey has been in great demand since pre-history .. and will be traded into and beyond the for-see-able future .. amen

Top Bottom