Boomerang NT Owner

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
After quite a bit of test-riding, research and general hemming and hawing, I pulled the trigger on a lovely red 2010 NT with less than 6000 miles today (my second one). I'll be picking it up next week.

Farkle time!!!

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
After quite a bit of test-riding, research and general hemming and hawing, I pulled the trigger on a lovely red 2010 NT with less than 6000 miles today (my second one).
Curious how the Triumph and the NT compare. For me, I think maintaining the chain would get "old", but the additional power and 6 speed sounds cool. Do you plan to keep the Triumph too?

OP
OP
KazooST
Bike
Yes, I'm keeping the Triumph. It's gorgeous - especially since I had it painted British Racing Green - and ridiculously smooth and fast. The chain is no problem. I lube mine once a week with some Teflon chain spray and replaced the chain and sprockets in two hours at the 30,000-mile mark. As a side note, I rode the Sprint over 400 miles today while bike hunting. It is also a blast when I spend the 90 seconds stripping off the bags and take it out for a twisty road romp.

One of the reasons for getting a second NT is that I have a long commute and the NT is a great freeway runner, with good weather protection and comfy ergonomics for my two hours per day in the saddle. It has a much more "relaxed" feel than the Triumph and I have missed that relaxed riding. With both bikes I can now also keep the miles lower on both and enjoy them for many years to come.

I appreciate your thought that the NT is going to be your commuter bike because it is more relaxed. I've been thinking lately of getting a new bike, but I can't think of anything that I'd rather have if I have to have one bike.

Terry

OP
OP
KazooST
Bike
Thanks for the support! I won't pick her up until the new tires are on; as part of the deal the dealer tossed in a new set of PR4s at his cost with free labor. The stock, 7-year-old Slipstones were looking pretty sad. He knew which lube to use on the splines and seems to run a pretty tight shop.

Since I have to wait I have been giving the credit card a workout:

Shad SH48 topcase and mount
MCL adjustable footpeg lowering mounts
Handlebar risers and Transalp clutch cable
Kaoko throttle lock
Nat'l Cycle V-stream windshield
Fuzeblock
Denali Soundbomb Compact horn
Left and right tipover wing covers

I already have a set of ADV lights and a voltmeter/USB charging port ready to install and the bike came with the Honda heated grips and wind deflector winglets.

Whew!

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Every rider needs at least two bikes......works for me.
Congrats on the new NT.
+1
After riding /farkling the BMW 800GT, I took the NT on a 150 mile lunch ride. The NT feels way more comfortable. I am lucky to be able to have both.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sounds like you're getting the bike pretty well farkled. I hope you don't regret the Shad topcase. That's what I started with and I had the bottom crack out of two of them. Twisted Throttle replaced the first one with no questions. The second one broke while I was in Bay St Lawrence on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia on my Epic Ride. The guy whose wife owned the campground gave me some bungee cords and we got it lashed down for my ride back through PEI, New Brunswick, and Maine. It stayed on till I got to Twisted Throttle and this time they would not replace it. They told me it was way overloaded. By then I didn't want another Shad anyway. I bought a Givi Maxia from them. I had had a Givi that lasted for 165,000 miles on my two '99 Concours and it had survived a crash that totaled the first one and lasted for another 50,000 on the second one. It's still on the bike, but I don't think the guy I sold it to has put very many miles on the bike. I wish you better luck!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
+1
After riding /farkling the BMW 800GT, I took the NT on a 150 mile lunch ride. The NT feels way more comfortable. I am lucky to be able to have both.
Ah-hah! I'm glad you shared that! I had suspected as much. I'll keep my NT -- comfort is my prime consideration, given my advanced age and state of decrepitude. :)

OP
OP
KazooST
Bike
Phil Tarman;151601 I hope you don't regret the Shad topcase. That's what I started with and I had the bottom crack out of two of them... I wish you better luck![/QUOTE said:
Thanks for the heads up! I use the topcase as a laptop carrier when commuting and never like to have much weight high on the bike but I'll keep a close eye on it.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
hil,
check your memory baml, I don't thinl you had a /shad top case???

/the shad 50 I had on NT , /fjr, and nt It has well over 50,000 of rough treatment and NO PROBLEMS. I would buy another one in a minute, only negative was getting the correct mount system for the /fjr was a PIA

Eldon

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Quote=Phil Tarman "Ah-hah! I'm glad you shared that! I had suspected as much. I'll keep my NT -- comfort is my prime consideration, given my advanced age and state of decrepitude. :) "

Yeah understand. Never planned on giving up my NT. I got it dialed in to fit me and totally farkled with a real cruise control. It is very comfortable, steady cruiser. TheF800GT is way lighter with almost 50% more HP, 6th gear, and belt drive (andother nice features). It is way more fun to ride. The protection is better thanexpected but not nearly as good as the NT.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks for the heads up! I use the topcase as a laptop carrier when commuting and never like to have much weight high on the bike but I'll keep a close eye on it.
I'll confess that I had quite a bit of weight in the Shad; I carried my netbook, a quart thermos of coffee and a small duffel bag that had the things I'd carry into a motel or the tent for overnight. And I had more stuff on the seat that pushed back against it. I think you'll be OK. If everybody had the kind of luck I had, they'd pull it off the market and/or Twisted Throttle wouldn't still be selling them.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks for the support! I won't pick her up until the new tires are on; as part of the deal the dealer tossed in a new set of PR4s at his cost with free labor. The stock, 7-year-old Slipstones were looking pretty sad. He knew which lube to use on the splines and seems to run a pretty tight shop.

Since I have to wait I have been giving the credit card a workout:

Shad SH48 topcase and mount
MCL adjustable footpeg lowering mounts
Handlebar risers and Transalp clutch cable
Kaoko throttle lock
Nat'l Cycle V-stream windshield
Fuzeblock
Denali Soundbomb Compact horn
Left and right tipover wing covers

I already have a set of ADV lights and a voltmeter/USB charging port ready to install and the bike came with the Honda heated grips and wind deflector winglets.

Whew!
I agree with everyone. Two bikes are better than one and if they are a bit different, that is fine. If summer were four months longer, I might even have three. As it is, I dont have time to do all the riding I want to.
I walk too much killing gophers and pulling weeds....but I am glad I dont have to make a decision on having only one bike....the NT fits me very well for my needs....its light on the controls, as we say....my FJR is wonderful but you have to be
on top of it all the time and not listen to it say, "Lets do the ton again! That was fun!" (The NT would say, "You want me to go HOW fast? Really? We are just out here smelling the flowers, remember...?."

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I agree. Keep the weight low....I am ditching my pet raven!

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I appreciate your thought that the NT is going to be your commuter bike because it is more relaxed. I've been thinking lately of getting a new bike, but I can't think of anything that I'd rather have if I have to have one bike.

Terry
Ditto Terry's thoughts exactly. Especially the one bike thing.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
HA HA ! I had one get into my top bag in Yellowstone and steal my snacks. Looks like the same one but you know how it is, they all look the same :rofl1:
Did I tell you the story? I didnt know this happened, and it does frequently. These ravens have discovered how to work zippers. I saw my gloves on the ground and figured that someone was looking for an iPhone, etc.
When I got to my camp site, I found a businesscard of a photog cruising the west who explained the real situation. She sent me the pics! (The raven was after my gooey breakfast roll in a zip lock bag. "Nevermore!"

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I'll confess that I had quite a bit of weight in the Shad; I carried my netbook, a quart thermos of coffee and a small duffel bag that had the things I'd carry into a motel or the tent for overnight. And I had more stuff on the seat that pushed back against it. I think you'll be OK. If everybody had the kind of luck I had, they'd pull it off the market and/or Twisted Throttle wouldn't still be selling them.
I wonder....the FJR's rear sub-frame is so weak that if you install a top box and go over railroad tracks with a heavily loaded box, it whipsaws the sub-frame till it cracks in two. Yamaha isnt doing anything but a guy sells us a sub frame stiffener called a "stiffy".
I dont have to tell YOU about all the little issues the Connie had that Kawasaki refused to fix.

OP
OP
KazooST
Bike
I hope you don't regret the Shad topcase...
Just a quick update...

Phil, the Shad 48 I bought was significantly "floppier" and generally more cheaply built than I felt comfortable with, so I went with a tried-and-true Givi V46. I liked the Shad mount more; big and flat with lots of tie-down points, but the V46 is a lot sturdier and of much higher quality.

Oh, and the literature that came with the Shad warned not to exceed 75 mph with it on board. That's just plain silly!

Cheers,

Top Bottom