Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Finally! My first ride of 2015. The weather forecast was for mid 50's and sunny. Good enough for me.

I avoided heading up into any of our mountains and lower temps, instead going South 110 miles to one of the preeminent
wildlife areas in the country. Only way to get there is on I-25, but so be it.

Bird watchers come from all over to watch the thousands of birds wintering in the middle of our desert environment. The Bosque del Apache (forest of the Apache) is fed from the Rio Grande and always wet. Plenty of marshy areas and food for the birds.

The best time of day to watch is early morning or evening before most leave for other feeding grounds. Unfortunately, by mid afternoon there were some geese, and ducks, but not many Sandhill Cranes. I didn't see any Bald Eagles, but they have been reported before.

I layered up for the trip, but actually got too warm walking around taking photo's. Temp topped out in the mid 60's. Nice.

Total mileage for the first run of 2015 was 240 miles. Fuel consumed 3.966 gal. Avg fuel economy 60.5 mpg. Hope the rest of 2015 is as good as this trip. Waiting for me at home was one of the most glorious sunsets I have seen in years!

Attachments

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
You can make it most of the way on side roads, only requires freeway riding for a short distance.

Great pictures.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, you can take the old highway down to US60, then onto I25 to the Bosque turnoff.

Rich, thanks for the lovely pictures. I was at the Bosque once for a day about 20 years ago around Christmas time and was stunned by all of the birds. An enormous flock took off from the water and the skies were literally blocked by the number of birds, something like I might see on a 'nature' show, but in real life. You live in a beautiful area.

Terry

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The entire Rio Grande valley is like that in winter. It is like a huge interstate for migrating birds. Depending on the bird, they will stop in this area for the winter or move further south, some all the way into Mexico.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The entire Rio Grande valley is like that in winter. It is like a huge interstate for migrating birds. Depending on the bird, they will stop in this area for the winter or move further south, some all the way into Mexico.
Amen!!

With all the discussion about routes, my preference would be to start in Tijeras and go down old NM 14 to Mountainair, then over to Socorro. Gorgeous ride!

Besides, you could stop at Charlie B's house for a beer! :p

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
LOL, yep. My 'Sunday rides' are either north on 14 or south on 337 and sometimes both (14 only goes from I40 to Santa Fe).

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
Until the state changed the route numbers, it used to be called north 14 or south 14.

Top Bottom