Bought a Honda Goldwing F6B

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
image.jpg

It's been awhile since I've owned an NT; I traded the NT for a new Connie in 2012. I traded my 2012 Concours in on a new 2013 Honda F6B last week. So far, I couldn't be happier. Since we are all bike enthusiasts, I thought I would post this pic and would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the F6B.

Happy Riding,
Jeff

Good looking ride Jeff, especially in the faster red!:spsmile:
Nah, doesn't matter what you ride on this forum. We like them all, but have a preference for the NT!
But I also ride a Suzuki DL650.

Last edited:
I'll be curious to hear reports on the F6B, Jeff. It looks too heavy for me, but is a slick-looking big bike. Enjoy!

Congratulations on your purchase. I understand the reason in going from the NT to the C14 in that the C14 is a bigger bike with more power etc. etc. Can you explain your reason in going from the C14 to the F6B? I am not sure I see the benefits.

Congratulations on your purchase. I understand the reason in going from the NT to the C14 in that the C14 is a bigger bike with more power etc. etc. Can you explain your reason in going from the C14 to the F6B? I am not sure I see the benefits.
Warren, I'm not sure if there were a lot of true benefits in changing from the C14 to the F6B. I've always wanted the 6 cylinder Goldwing engine, but I didn't want the traditional Goldwing as a daily ride. The C14 engine produces absurd power that the F6B can't match, but the Honda F6B is smooth beyond description. The other factor was pure comfort. I live in Nebraska now, so it is at least a 6 hour ride to get to a road that isn't flat and straight. The C14 wasn't uncomfortable by any means, but the Honda provides a different seating position and feel altogether. I don't believe I will have to do anything to the F6B to make it fit me, other than change the windscreen (Madstad screen is arriving this week).
The biggest reason was simple: the bug got me! Since Honda isn't selling many if the F6B's, there are great deals to be had. I was offered $5,000 off msrp on the bike, and they gave me $10k for my Kawi, so it was hard to walk away from. And, since the F6B was listed as a demo (but was never actually used as a demo with only 0.1 miles showing), I was given an extra 1 year warranty without charge, bringing the total warranty up to 4 years.
There will be days that I will miss the C14, just as there are still days at I miss the NT (my two favorites in 30 years of riding). But, I'm confident that the F6B will fall into that same category, just for different reasons.

-Jeff

Bob,
:smile: I hadn't heard that before, but I have only been sort of visiting here the past 15 years.

Jeff, I see that the bike comes with a built in flagpole. Be handy the 4th of July.

Nice! I showed the picture to my husband. It's the same color as his but he notes that your is the standard model, which means you didn't get the passenger backrest, heated grips, self canceling turn signals, or centerstand. He got his to replace his PC800 and it was his first ever new motorcycle. He is thrilled with it, and likes the same things you do. It fits him well; he is very comfortable on it.

Nice! I showed the picture to my husband. It's the same color as his but he notes that your is the standard model, which means you didn't get the passenger backrest, heated grips, self canceling turn signals, or centerstand. He got his to replace his PC800 and it was his first ever new motorcycle. He is thrilled with it, and likes the same things you do. It fits him well; he is very comfortable on it.

Katherine,
I'm glad your husband is liking the change from the PC800 to the F6B. I think they have a similar feel; I had a PC800 for a few years. I guess there are certain characteristics and feel that appeals to me in a bike. The PC800, the F6B, and to some extent the NT have a certain feel to me. My local dealer didn't have the deluxe version of the F6B, so I missed out on the extra features. I'll add the heated grips this summer.
I've been away from this forum for awhile. Are you still riding the Super Tenere and your side car rig?

-Jeff

I'll be curious to hear reports on the F6B, Jeff. It looks too heavy for me, but is a slick-looking big bike. Enjoy!

Hi Phil,
It's good to see you are still piling the miles on the NT! The F6B is a heavy bike for sure. But, the seating position is very low and it has an extremely low center of gravity. Moving it around has not been an issue for me. In fact, because it sits so much lower than my C14, it is easier for me to back up and move around. I was surprised at how well the F6B handles as well. The weight seems to disappear when in motion. Slow speed and higher speed turns require no more effort than my last couple of bikes. I would tend to believe that is due in great part to the low center of gravity. I'll try to post some more thoughts as time and miles go on.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff, that's one nice looking bike, i had my eye on a black one but couldn't pull the trigger. Still on my wish list of bikes. I had a 2010 C14, lots of power and really top heavy when not really moving. Looking forward to hearing more about how it is.

? does F6B have the reverse gear in it? or a option to add it? at 800 + it would be a handful to move around? LOL I am not looking and won't call my Honda dealer to find out. too much weight for me anyway. And it would be heavier if I had one as it would have to have a trunk added to itand ETC< & ETC.

Yeah , I know it is about the same weight as my HD , whickh has not been updated with a reverse YET , but may be in the future.

eldon

Last edited:
? does F6B have the reverse gear in it? or a option to add it? at 800 + it would be a handful to move around? LOL I am not looking and won't call my Honda dealer to find out. too much weight for me anyway. And it would be heavier if I had one as it would have to have a trunk added to itand ETC< & ETC.

Yeah , I know it is about the same weight as my HD , whickh has not been updated with a reverse YET , but may be in the future.

eldon

Hi Eldon, there is no option for the reverse gear on the F6B. It is one of the items removed from the traditional Goldwing in an effort to produce a cruiser style Goldwing with a lesser weight. I have heard the reverse gear is available on European models. I find the F6B easier to move around than my Kawi C14 was. Of course, both require more effort than the NT.

Thanks Jeff,

I find my 14 FJR easier to move arround than the NT, in spite that is is about 70 lbs heavier, I also know that with the canyon cages that I can pick up the FJR in a driveway or parking lot drop where I cant get the NT up eaven when fuel is near the 1 gallon point in the tank. and the FJR had a good 5 gallon in it both times I have done that and the Tupperware had no damage either. HAving put 104,000 on a 04 Gl 1800 I can say you will enjoy the dependability etc of the Wing, keep the oil and air filters clean and good oil and enjoy! I have heard the ridder that bought my wing has around 150,000 on it and is still going strong.

I would stand to be corrected , but I would think that it should only take a change of starter and maybe some wiring to make the 6=b reverse, but it is not for me to find out. by the time I have the FJR worn out I will probably have hung up my hard hat.

I appreciate your answer.

Eldon

There are a significant amount of gears and linkages on the back of the motor for the reverse. If Honda was trying to reduce weight, those gears would be missing. You would need to drop the motor out of the bike, and remove the rear case to "install" the reverse gearing. Not really an aftermarket add-on if those big gears were indeed removed off the back of the motor.
Thanks Jeff,

I find my 14 FJR easier to move arround than the NT, in spite that is is about 70 lbs heavier, I also know that with the canyon cages that I can pick up the FJR in a driveway or parking lot drop where I cant get the NT up eaven when fuel is near the 1 gallon point in the tank. and the FJR had a good 5 gallon in it both times I have done that and the Tupperware had no damage either. HAving put 104,000 on a 04 Gl 1800 I can say you will enjoy the dependability etc of the Wing, keep the oil and air filters clean and good oil and enjoy! I have heard the ridder that bought my wing has around 150,000 on it and is still going strong.

I would stand to be corrected , but I would think that it should only take a change of starter and maybe some wiring to make the 6=b reverse, but it is not for me to find out. by the time I have the FJR worn out I will probably have hung up my hard hat.

I appreciate your answer.

Eldon

Anyone who mocks Texas as all flat and boring hasn't been here or seen much of the state. We have many great roads!

OK , I will stand as corrected regarding the reverse situation for the reverse in F6B. I guess if you like it as it comes greatQ For me I wouldhave toconsider a HD for about the same money and add about $2500.00 to the investment for the reverse gear. that isa possible project for the coming winter for my 01 Ultra Classic.

I never had occasion to tear into my GL 18000. With the weight of a 94 in stock form I think the best solution would be in removal of stock trunk and change out the windshield to one from Fire Creek in Olympia Wa. for appearances sake. either way too much weight for me personaly.

Eldon

I think all of the Goldwing "versions" GL1800, F6C, and F6B are very heavy. Heck anything over 600lbs for me becomes difficult (if not impossible) to move while sitting on the bike. But at nearly 1,000 lbs, my GL1800 is even too heavy for me to move around while off the bike unless the ground is flat or I'm pushing down hill. The bikes are awesome but wow could they use a little diet! :)

Moving the NT around the garage is a breeze compared to the Wing.

Last edited:
I agree, with the difference between GL 1800 nd NT , but as I stated previously I really prefer the FJR to either of them especialy if it decideds to lay down for a nap. On more than one occasion my NT got itself on the ground and I was stranded until help came along, jut as surley as with a Wing, while I can get the FJR up at leat twice so far it has been that way.

Eldon

Back
Top Bottom